Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:35 pm

The big one!

Will McMillan or Shields start?

Will the Barrett & Gartland pairing be retained?

If so will they handle Maguire?

Will Bolger kick McEleney in the first 60 seconds?

Although this is on TV the kick-off time makes it easy to travel there and back same day - I expect a decent travelling support.

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby White Horse » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:19 pm

The only safe prediction I can make is that some langer will kick McEleney in the first 60 seconds.

I expect Shields to start. We need to be tight and use our pace on the break. Cork will want to isolate Barrett or Gartland and we mustn't let that happen.

They are a good side but we will get chances to win. The important thing is not to give Maguire a sniff, easier said than done.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:03 pm

I really doubt that Chris Shields is fit enough to start. He also is better at defending than attacking. Are we going with the intention of getting a draw?

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:14 pm

oldfogey wrote:I really doubt that Chris Shields is fit enough to start. He also is better at defending than attacking. Are we going with the intention of getting a draw?

Shields has played against Cork many times and we've won so not sure what your point is, both attack and defence is needed to win matches. We have lost the midfield battle against limerick, Derry and Shams Once O'Donnell went off. Shields has to play imo. It's the defence that worries me but I don't think SK will change it so fingers crossed

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:29 am

We'll see tonight but Rovers are convinced they were robbed on Friday.

5 out of 5 is very impressive but they needed goalkeeping howlers from Galway and Rovers to get going and a dodgy sending off to overcome Drogheda.

They're not a carve you open kind of team and Maguire isn't that type of striker. He's a capitalise on mistakes sort. So hopefully we got all our dumb mistakes out of our system in Derry.

The only thing I'd be worried about with Shields is that if he's a bit off the pace still he might lunge in and give the ref an easy home town decision.

I'd also be surprised if Barrett & Gartland were the pair going into the summer. Matter of time until a new defence cements its place.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kezz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:13 pm

El Paso wrote:We'll see tonight but Rovers are convinced they were robbed on Friday.

5 out of 5 is very impressive but they needed goalkeeping howlers from Galway and Rovers to get going and a dodgy sending off to overcome Drogheda.

They're not a carve you open kind of team and Maguire isn't that type of striker. He's a capitalise on mistakes sort. So hopefully we got all our dumb mistakes out of our system in Derry.

The only thing I'd be worried about with Shields is that if he's a bit off the pace still he might lunge in and give the ref an easy home town decision.

I'd also be surprised if Barrett & Gartland were the pair going into the summer. Matter of time until a new defence cements its place.

You're right there. We got lucky five out of five times this season and now we are top of the league. Pure nonsense. You could say Limerick were on top against you in Oriel Park and were very unlucky or that Rovers could have got at least a point if they were not reduced to ten men. That would be only silly talk.

In relation to some comments further up this thread RE: Bolger. Some of you would have us think that his entire game plan is based around kicking McEleney. Do you even realise how man times McEleney dives during one game? Do you realise how many times O'Donnell dives per game and how often he gets players booked by being in the refs ear? I suppose we are all bias when it comes to our own teams. None of you will agree with those comments either.

On the game itself i find McEleney a major threat to City. His direct running from midfield will cause us huge problems unless we keep it very tight there. I think if we can stop that happening, it will certainly give us the advantage. And yes, we certainly know you have more threats than one player. Dundalk are a fantastic side and very much respected by all at Cork City.

Gartland and Barrett are a weakness also. In behind them and they are in trouble. No real pace and agility to combat someone like MaGuire. On saying that we are a bit weak in the same position ourselves this year with the late loss of Kenny Browne.

A point would not be a bad result but i think we are more than capable of winning every game at home. Again there is no doubt you are also capable of winning any game away from home too. Hopefully you will bring a good crowd as i think this will be a sell-out so there will be a brilliant atmosphere.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Kezz, I am starting to consider that maybe you are not trolling, but actually believe your own propaganda.

Gartland O Donnell & Mc Eleney are divers, O Donnell getting people booked. No element of luck attached to any of Cork wins.

Most reasonable Cork fans would have a good laugh at your nonsense. But then most would be posting views on their own forum. Fools pardon to you
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kezz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Kezz, I am starting to consider that maybe you are not trolling, but actually believe your own propaganda.

Gartland O Donnell & Mc Eleney are divers, O Donnell getting people booked. No element of luck attached to any of Cork wins.

Most reasonable Cork fans would have a good laugh at your nonsense. But then most would be posting views on their own forum. Fools pardon to you

First of all there are Dundalk fans posting on the Cork City forum, as well as fans from most other LOI clubs. All are very welcome. If you consider this a Dundalk only forum, i will gladly leave you at it. I think it's only right to challenge some of the nonsense one or two of you write in relation to our players. As you can see above, and also on our forum, our supporters hold your team with great respect despite many of you slating ours for being hackers/hatchet men and much more. Hoofball, longball, you name it.

O'Donnell is always in the refs ear. Every game we have played against Dundalk he does it litterally from start to finish. Many of your players are well able to lose their feet also just in the same way you think Seanie does for us.

I really doubt reasonable City fans would laugh at my post. I am very aware that we are obviously both bias towards our own teams, but i find my posts a more honest than yours. I have complimented your players/team and also suggested all teams have players that might go down easily but that's not good enough for you eh?

Also lighten up. It's only a bit of rivalry banter.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:09 pm

I think Bolger is an excellent player. Don't like him as for me he didn't put in any effort when he played for us(albeit in a average team, but that is no excuse). As I say he is an excellent player but he does resort to kicking lumps out of our main player be that O'Donnell, Towell and probably if going to form McEleney. And as captain both O'Donnell and Bolger have a right to approach the ref and discuss any misgivings they have. And Kezz you seem to think that Maguire doesn't go down at all easily. How many penalties have Cork got in the past season? Compare it with our amount of penalties. I honestly think you would be a better footballing team with a new manager. JC's tactics are dour and far too cautious. As you say all friendly banter and you are always more than welcome to post on here at any time.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Kezz wrote:
El Paso wrote:We'll see tonight but Rovers are convinced they were robbed on Friday.

You're right there. We got lucky five out of five times this season and now we are top of the league.

I'd take you more seriously if you accurately represented what I said.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Kartoffel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kartoffel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:13 pm

If you watch back the cup final, you will see O'Donnell 's disgraceful dive to get bennett a yellow. I played it back frame by frame and you can clearly see odonnell's body at a 45 degree angle from the ground (leaning forward) while still at least 1 metre from bennett. It would be physically impossible for even a member of the Russian state ballet to have stayed upright by the time he gets close to benno

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Kezz wrote:
First of all there are Dundalk fans posting on the Cork City forum, as well as fans from most other LOI clubs. All are very welcome. If you consider this a Dundalk only forum, i will gladly leave you at it.

Personally I welcome fans of other clubs posting here, but making random and nonsensical claims (whether it is trolling for a reaction or just plain daft) often just takes a thread into a ridiculous cul-de-sac.

Any example of this from you was an accusation you made against Brian Gartland for an incident you did not see, in the day following the Sligo V Dundalk game (Soccer Republic highlights had not even been broadcast at that point).

I have found the majority of Cork supporters I have encountered in recent years to be knowledgeable, gracious, sporting and decent folk. Opinions and comments that are measured and offer a contrary view can add to the vibrancy of the forum.

The fools pardon comment was unnecessary - apologies

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

I enjoy fans of other clubs posting on this site, once it not trolling.

To be fair to Kezz, he makes some fair comments about the weakness in both sides. The centre half pairing that deals best with the opposition threat will probably win the game. We are missing Andy Boyle much more than Daryl Horgan. As for Ronan Finn, who is he? McEleney has blossomed in a central role.

We'll get nowhere if we start debating who tries hardest to win free kicks. Neither side are divers, in my opinion. However, we could probably pick one or two individual examples of diving in both sides.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Kezz has to be trolling, so many contradictions in his posts. And any Cork fan complaining about O'Donnell badgering the ref when they have Greg "the mouthpiece" Bolger has to be on the wind up.

This thread is off to a good start, should be 50 pages by Saturday

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Double post, will help get to the 50!

Return to “General Discussion”