One Player. Only one

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: One Player. Only one

Postby Sneachta » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:15 pm

mike wrote:Good topic, I'll turn it around a little and ask another question, who would you be worried about leaving the most?

For me, its Sean Gannon, his form last 2-3 months has been up there with his career best, what a player, simply gliding through matches, perfect build for a full back, McMillan is a class act, and prob deserves POTY, but Gannon for me is a player I desperately want to keep, 2 year contract too.
Second that.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Guinney
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: One Player. Only one

Postby Guinney » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:07 am

Tough one. At this moment in time I'd go with McMillan. Runs himself into the ground every match, his link up play is excellent, chases everything and his finishing has improved immensely.
"The real test of those who like the beautiful game is to go and watch your local team." President Micheal D. higgins

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:39 am

I'd have gone with McMillan but if we have an option of a player like Hoban returning, fit and in form then he can do the same sort of job. O'Donnell would be the toughest to replace, a player that can dictate tempo, does the simple things very well, retains possession most of the time, links back to front, can protect the back 4 and pop up with a goal. He is a big game player too - there are not too many of those around any league.

McEleney still is the big potential, if fit and consistant in form, he is the difference in unlocking teams that pack defence, I love the sort of player that has that something special like a Matt Le Tissier or a McCourt and McEleney has that kind of flair so Id go with McEleney on that alone. But really its an impossible question!! lol Like we missed Benson early season and like Finn you only really see what they give to the team when they are not in it. It will be an exciting prospect to have out and out wingers with the full-backs overlapping at pace next season and freeing up space in the centre for him to strut his stuff as opposition defences are overloaded.

Sheilds is the cult hero type like Gino that we all love in our side but would love to hate if he wasnt, but not completely irreplacable, he is a pretty classic no nonsense League of Ireland player.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:17 am

In terms of being irreplaceable then you have to say it's McEleney, such a mercurial talent doesn't come about as easily as a striker or engine room midfielder (a la McMillan and O'Donnell) but his tendency to go missing in the big games as many people have stated on here means he is never really seen as a club hero sort of character like some of the less talented players (Shields, Gartland, etc.).

But the one player, for me, is Sean Gannon, as Sir John said he is the best player in his position in the league still has years of football ahead of him and SK would trust him with his life. He seems to be really enjoying his football at the minute and his passion when we score/win can be seen by all in Oriel, I always notice him urging the crowd to get involved when there is a lull in play which just makes him even more of a hero in my eyes, not many players match his passion and dedication in our league, so it has to be Gano for me!
Mon the Town!

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am

McMillan, by a mile. He's pretty much irreplacable

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am

Lots of comment on McEleney. He's very good but holds onto the ball for too long.
I do admire him greatly, but didn't we get along OK without him against Rovers?
The Back of the Wall

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

McEleney was our best player when he came on Vs BATE last year and was our best player Vs Rosenborg twice this year!

He does not turn up in big games though

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm

McMillan for me!! The work he does is unbelievable, runs himself into the ground every match. Some of his movement off the ball, pulling defenders all over the shop, is just brilliant.
If I could sneak another one in it would be Jamie McGrath, that young man has the potential to be an outstanding player and if he gets a run in the fisrt team, he could be the name everyone is talking about in this thread this time next year.
King Kenny!

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk Wolf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Davey Mac for me too. He was v good last year but has improved so much this season. His work rate goes without saying, but I think his movement, link play and finishing (particularly heading) have come on leaps and bounds. Vemmelund, Gannon & McEleney would be on my shortlist but, for me, McMillan's the key cog in our wheel at the moment.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:22 am

In an everybody-fit world it has to be O'Donnell.

Every single match we played this season we lost when we went behind until when a (finally) fit O'Donnell came on against Cork and we got a point. Then he plays 120 mins against Rovers the other night, first time we've come from behind to win a match all season. He's this team's heartbeat.

In a squad we have right now, knowing what we know about delivering in matches, how reliably fit players are and so on it's Davey Mc. If he had suffered an injury mid-season God knows where we'd have ended up in the table. We absolutely must keep him for next season.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Return to “General Discussion”