Club crest

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Club crest

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:29 pm

Anyone know why and when our club crest background changed to red?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Club crest

Postby El Paso » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:57 pm

Think it was purely because of the lack of contrast before - white shield on a white shirt - and red has been in the trim on and off since the mid 80s.

Wouldn’t mind seeing a modernisation - modelled on the oval crests Milan or Juve use.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:04 pm

I think it changed to red background around mid 90’s. It was def Black and white for the 88 double season and almost sure same for 91 league winning season.

Red has been used a good bit before on kits, had the 3 red stripes on top of the black socks before, and possibly one red tiny stripe on the black shorts, also red stripe collars on the 1979 double winning kit, or at least the cup final one that season.

Red was also a favourie away colour. Wore all red away to Spurs ECWC in 1981 and 10 years later winning the title away in Cork.

I’d say it was used in the crest to improve the contrast of plain black and white.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:26 pm

El Paso wrote:Think it was purely because of the lack of contrast before - white shield on a white shirt - and red has been in the trim on and off since the mid 80s.

Wouldn’t mind seeing a modernisation - modelled on the oval crests Milan or Juve use.

With the exception of home/away jerseys, club merchandise doesn't really date - unless you change kit suppliers if course. A lot of parents would be seriously pissed if the crest was changed. Adding the gold star for the 10th title was understandable but cost a lot of money.

On the crest itself, ours is a shield because it's a modified version of the town crest. Provincial clubs are linked to their heritage/locale and rightly so. I would be in favour of leaving well enough alone.
Last edited by oldfogey on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Totally agree, no need to change it from the current style. I think the red background looks well actually, blends in perfect to the mostly white top and on all other training kit / gear.

Smokie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Smokie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:31 am

Loads of people have the crest tattoed on their bodies. Wouldn't imagine they would be impressed by a change.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:37 pm

Just to be clear I was only talking about a subtle change. Nothing bonkers. Keep the red, incorporate the black and white better, the three marlets, the club name and the star. Just take those elements and modernise the design.

Something like this (though I prefer an oval shield to a medieval pointy shield myself), which is very nice whoever did it. Cleaner lines, nicer font. Use of 'football club' instead of 'F.C.' (incidentally for oldfogey this crest is closer to the actual town crest than the current club crest, as it incorporates the red sash).

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 pm

El Paso wrote:Just to be clear I was only talking about a subtle change. Nothing bonkers. Keep the red, incorporate the black and white, the marlets, the club name and the star.

Something like this (though I prefer an oval to a medieval shield myself), which is very nice whoever did it. Cleaner lines, nicer font. Use of 'football club' instead of 'F.C.' (incidentally for oldfogey this crest is closer to the actual town crest than the current club crest, as it incorporates the red sash).

I was at the club when banner was added to the bottom of the crest, it was so the club had something which could be trademarked, which is also achieved above. Like everything in life, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. (I actually like this, although I'm not so sure about "Football Club"). There are probably people out there who would like us to revert to the old GNR motif. It will happen eventually but perhaps the club could use that change to celebrate something momentous - a new/revamped stadium perhaps?

dundalkstork
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dundalkstork » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:06 pm

That’s a decent stab, El Paso. Though I prefer the traditional martlets to the stylised, modern version. Minor vexillology/nerd point, the sash is, strictly speaking, called a bend (dexter). I’d also stick the star back over the top.

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Not bad but the current crest is still better.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 pm

dundalkstork wrote:That’s a decent stab, El Paso. Though I prefer the traditional martlets to the stylised, modern version. Minor vexillology/nerd point, the sash is, strictly speaking, called a bend (dexter). I’d also stick the star back over the top.

Yeah, it's not mine, some graphic designer knocked it out a couple of years back - absolutely I'd put the star on it!

Just using it as an example to make the point that the crest can be both the same but more suited to our upcoming designation as Irish sports' Barcelona / New York Yankees / Golden State Warriors / All Blacks!

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 am

In my opinion that crest is sh1te, looks like something you could make when creating a team on Pro-Evo back in the day. If modernisation means generic rehashing then stick me back in the 20th century, why in the name of god would we want a crest that you couldn't pick out of a lineup? Just because everyone is going all smooth edges and shiny design doesn't me we have to follow suit! This is Dundalk, give me a bitta grit, rough round the edges and DIFFERENT! I love our crest and wouldn't change it for the world, is it perfect? No. Harp will cut the throat of ya, but do we all still drink it? Of course we do, why? Because Mon the [email protected]£&ing Town!
Mon the Town!

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:39 am

ArFella wrote:In my opinion that crest is sh1te, looks like something you could make when creating a team on Pro-Evo back in the day. If modernisation means generic rehashing then stick me back in the 20th century, why in the name of god would we want a crest that you couldn't pick out of a lineup? Just because everyone is going all smooth edges and shiny design doesn't me we have to follow suit! This is Dundalk, give me a bitta grit, rough round the edges and DIFFERENT! I love our crest and wouldn't change it for the world, is it perfect? No. Harp will cut the throat of ya, but do we all still drink it? Of course we do, why? Because Mon the [email protected]£&ing Town!

Easy there tiger
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:59 pm

ArFella wrote:In my opinion that crest is sh1te, looks like something you could make when creating a team on Pro-Evo back in the day. If modernisation means generic rehashing then stick me back in the 20th century, why in the name of god would we want a crest that you couldn't pick out of a lineup? Just because everyone is going all smooth edges and shiny design doesn't me we have to follow suit! This is Dundalk, give me a bitta grit, rough round the edges and DIFFERENT! I love our crest and wouldn't change it for the world, is it perfect? No. Harp will cut the throat of ya, but do we all still drink it? Of course we do, why? Because Mon the [email protected]£&ing Town!

Don't sit on the fence ArFella
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Apologies gentlemen, too much sugar in my morning tea perhaps... Carry on.
Mon the Town!

Return to “General Discussion”