2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Neil O'Riordan in The Irish Sun is reporting that Dundalk are interested in Dylan Watts and that the Georgie Kelly deal could involve a loan back to UCD for the rest of the season. I can't see the sense in that unless it was a necessity to make the deal happen

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/27 ... lan-watts/

Knowing how long previous recruits have taken to adapt to our regime, would Kelly have any impact in the 15 games from July on?
He's a player I'm looking forward to seeing, be it this year or next.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:10 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:Neil O'Riordan in The Irish Sun is reporting that Dundalk are interested in Dylan Watts and that the Georgie Kelly deal could involve a loan back to UCD for the rest of the season. I can't see the sense in that unless it was a necessity to make the deal happen

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/27 ... lan-watts/

Knowing how long previous recruits have taken to adapt to our regime, would Kelly have any impact in the 15 games from July on?
He's a player I'm looking forward to seeing, be it this year or next.

Hopefully the number of games is in excess of 20.

I suspect that even allowing for the training and fitness differences, he is still more likely to have an impact than the current alternatives, whether that is at 60-75 minutes off the bench, or as a starting replacement if Pat Hoban was injured/suspended/rested.

Even if he does not feature to any significant extent, we would be better off having him training full time as part of our squad, so that he is further advanced for next season. Return to UCD on loan does not give us any benefit in terms of cover for Pat Hoban
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 pm

I have to agree with this, and I cannot see the benefit for us in any potential deal that allows him to remain at UCD if we can agree terms. It's also worth considering the compensation angle, I'm not sure there would be any reduction on the figure we would have to pay them whether he joins in July or Jan 1st.

We need cover for Hoban asap, I had hopes for Murray but SK was never going to use him as a main striker, but he could do a job, not sure he would score that much, then again on the other hand Marco would absolutely not be the answer. What is the story with the 4th option, Sam Byrne!i know Everton have released him, but is he here until end of June or end of season ?

All of above means we need a striker in soon.

Get this lad signed up and quick.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Daily Mirror claims we’re in a bidding war with Rovers for McEleney. That’s just bizarre given how light we are up front and defensive midfield
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:20 pm

There could be other targets to come in along with McEleney if we do outbid others. We really know nothing of what the playing budget is since the takeover so maybe the resources are there - regardless of whether people would want to see investment in the ground as well as the playing squad.

It would certainly suit Oldham and McEleney for people to feel there is a bidding war going on.

thecaptain
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby thecaptain » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Random talk on twitter of Duffy signing a pre contract with Bristol Rovers, anyone heard anything? Hit the magic 23 now so not even a cent in compo to be had so if he goes another one for gone for nothing.
Ian Foster: (On the expectations level at Dundalk): "That's why you want to be involved in management. If I don't do well I'll do my shopping in Newry!"

Ian Foster: Last seen heading for Newry.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:27 pm

thecaptain wrote:Random talk on twitter of Duffy signing a pre contract with Bristol Rovers, anyone heard anything? Hit the magic 23 now so not even a cent in compo to be had so if he goes another one for gone for nothing.

Not to worry, we can buy him back for a sizeable fee in 6 months!

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:54 pm

thecaptain wrote:Random talk on twitter of Duffy signing a pre contract with Bristol Rovers, anyone heard anything? Hit the magic 23 now so not even a cent in compo to be had so if he goes another one for gone for nothing.

He should have a good chat to Pat Hoban about selling himself short to an average lower league English side. If it were Bristol City then that would turn heads but Rovers?? He is better off where he is!!

DFCLife
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DFCLife » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:03 pm

"Random talk" on any social media site can be hit and miss. Occasionally they're onto something but often what they say is egregiously false. Let's hope this is a similar story!

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:25 pm

Saw somewhere that if we got McEleney Murray would be released
The Back of the Wall

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:43 pm

I know it is in the final 6 months of his contract but do either himself or Bristol not have to advise us of the situation or if contact has been made?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:00 am

Whether the Bristol Rovers social media rumour has any truth or not, Michael Duffy will be in demand when his contract expires
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:33 am

Wexford White wrote:Saw somewhere that if we got McEleney Murray would be released

Perhaps in the Irish Mirror, which also claims that we have bettered offer made by Shamrock Rovers:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... p_AppShare

condor
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby condor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:28 pm

If the club has any self respect we should have nothing to do with McEleney. He couldn't get away
quick enough at the end of last season, plus we are playing much better without him and that's a fact.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:20 am

If we have the option of signing McEleney on a long term deal, I would take it. I would not pay anything to get him on a short deal though.

If the club wants to succeed in Europe, players with his creativity are very rare.

He may struggle in anti football games where the officials allow skilfull players to be kicked for 90 minutes, but that is where a squad comes in, horses for courses etc.

Return to “General Discussion”