Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers | Fri 10 Aug | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup 1st Round

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers | Fri 10 Aug | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup 1st Round

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:I reckon chevdukas should start. He needs a run of games if on so we can all see what he brings to the table.

Glad Stephen took my advice

Weelilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers | Fri 10 Aug | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup 1st Round

Postby Weelilywhite » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Gartland having a nightmare. Far far too casual. Cleary baling him out and my player of the first half. Duffy is being well watched. The Conh lads are up for it still.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:44 pm

3-0 to Dundalk . Drogs knock Rovers out.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:09 pm

Dodgy enough first half from pretty much everyone. Second half I thought Gannon, Chevdukas and McGrath were excellent. Murrays second was a tidy finish.
Strange sub to bring Massey on and stick Jarvis in CM with Poynton sitting on the bench.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Cleary was excellent. He needed to be, as Gartland had a mare.

Not a great night for those who have been cheerleading Chevdukas. I saw nothing in his performance to merit his inclusion in league games. He gave the ball away far too cheaply, too often.

Kelly showed some nice touches up front, and combined well with McGrath. Murray, even though he scored two goals, is too static. He waits for the ball and spends ages on it before passing. Far too slow.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:24 pm

That was the worst 3-0 win that I can recall
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 pm

I thought the entire team looked extremely nervous and was trying too hard with every pass. The goal settled the nerves and - despite having different faces on the pitch - we started to get our mojo back in the second half.

Stephen Henderson had the body language of a manager who wanted to make a go of it but deep down knew it was damage limitation. We wouldn't have been flattered by six or seven. Cobh are game, and have youth on their side but I can't see then beating Derry in the final.

Finally, nice touch to applaud them off the pitch and wish them well, even if it was through gritted teeth.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:57 pm

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers | Fri 10 Aug | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup 1st Round

Postby Sneachta » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:22 am

White Horse wrote:Cleary was excellent. He needed to be, as Gartland had a mare.

Not a great night for those who have been cheerleading Chevdukas. I saw nothing in his performance to merit his inclusion in league games. He gave the ball away far too cheaply, too often.

Kelly showed some nice touches up front, and combined well with McGrath. Murray, even though he scored two goals, is too static. He waits for the ball and spends ages on it before passing. Far too slow.
He gave the ball away too cheaply? I have to disagree with you, he was not alone in that department. It was across the board tonight. I thought he hassled and harried and for a guy who has played sweet FA i thought he was ok in that holding position. He did a good bit of side and back passing but to call him out on giving the ball away cheaply is a tad harsh. Gartland was woefully guilty of that.

My brother in law came with me last night who never comes to matches. At half time he asked me, from the starting 11 who would be regulars. He then asked who number 18 was. I told him and he said Benson was s***e, something many of us have been identifying for a long time here. He couldn't believe it was the guy who gave many great European performances.

I would be championing the likes of murray and chevdukas, who should count themselves unlucky not to get more game time this year, over Benson who arguably has been so poor, and seems undroppable. As a result confidence and rustiness has effected the likes of murray and chevdukas.

The irony of all this, Benson got the assist for the first goal.

I thought Kelly had promise. Gannon and McGrath were very professional in their performance tonight.

Connolly.........

And Sam Byrne? Stephen Kenny must see something amazing. I have seen him a couple of times now and he has the physique of a first Division footballer. He has a 2 year deal? The likes of Duffy should be tied down before a club comes in for him. I'm not on about an English club but another Irish club. Just can't see an English championship club taking a punt on him.

In saying all that Dundalk did not need to get out of third gear

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:33 am

oldfogey wrote:I thought the entire team looked extremely nervous and was trying too hard with every pass. The goal settled the nerves and - despite having different faces on the pitch - we started to get our mojo back in the second half.

Stephen Henderson had the body language of a manager who wanted to make a go of it but deep down knew it was damage limitation. We wouldn't have been flattered by six or seven. Cobh are game, and have youth on their side but I can't see then beating Derry in the final.

Finally, nice touch to applaud them off the pitch and wish them well, even if it was through gritted teeth.

Totally agree I had heard the team were massively up for it and had trained really hard in preparation but they looked like they were trying too hard and not playing their natural game. Far better in the second half and we will be better again next week. Good crowd and now we are on the home stretch

Blackandwhite10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Blackandwhite10 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Dodgy enough first half from pretty much everyone. Second half I thought Gannon, Chevdukas and McGrath were excellent. Murrays second was a tidy finish.
Strange sub to bring Massey on and stick Jarvis in CM with Poynton sitting on the bench.

Think Jarvis is better than half the actual CMs anyways from what I've been seeing

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:08 am

A win is a win but what hard work we made of it first half. Gannon was by far the best player on view with his tracking back & covering for a disappointing Gartland most noticeable. A lack of supply to up front Kelly left it difficult for him & with more game time he can only improve. Good to see Cleary back to himself, he had a good game. Benson, I thought also played well, with better passing than of late. Sam Byrne, the jury is still out, for me anyway. Cobh had nothing to lose & gave a decent account of themselves but honestly, we should be putting teams like this to the sword a lot quicker than we did.

A good laugh when sub Stephen Kenny came on for Cobh, fair play to him for joining in the fun when applauding the Dundalk support as he entered the fray.

Hopefully, those couple of defeats are well & truly out of our system & we can move on & give a right go at winning the league, already looking forward to Bray this Friday.

C'MON THE TOWN:

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:10 am

Blackandwhite10 wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:Dodgy enough first half from pretty much everyone. Second half I thought Gannon, Chevdukas and McGrath were excellent. Murrays second was a tidy finish.

Think Jarvis is better than half the actual CMs anyways from what I've been seeing

Masseys place is one if those under threat at the moment and I suspect Kenny was offering the opportunity to exorcise the demons from Monday. As well as giving away the ball for the goal, he was also captain. Jarvis does need more game time though. I agree Poynton is unfortunate, especially as if Cleary is fit, Hoare and Gannon are our options at right back.

I missed any talk of John Mountney last night. Was he injured again or given the night off?

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers | Fri 10 Aug | 7:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup 1st Round

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 am

Sneachta wrote:
White Horse wrote:Cleary was excellent. He needed to be, as Gartland had a mare.

He gave the ball away too cheaply? I have to disagree with you, he was not alone in that department. It was across the board tonight. I thought he hassled and harried and for a guy who has played sweet FA i thought he was ok in that holding position. He did a good bit of side and back passing but to call him out on giving the ball away cheaply is a tad harsh. Gartland was woefully guilty of that.

Saying others were worse is hardly a ringing endorsement of Chvedukas.

He was poor as was Murray. Unfortunately we have not seen any evidence that either of them can do the business for us, although match fitness is a big barrier.

It is especially disappointing as many others are underperforming and need to be challenged

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:56 am

Jamie McGrath post-match with Gerry Malone

https://audioboom.com/posts/6966424-jamie-mcgrath

Return to “General Discussion”