New Manager

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: New Manager

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:33 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote:
Hairy78 wrote:If John gill gets the job,I will definitely not be renewing my season ticket. Jesus,we got promoted in kildare because limerick scored in injury time,we'd probably still be in the graveyard only for them!!

Is that right? I wasn't sure - I thought he got us promoted because we won the division and had the best record over 36 games??!

And only limerick scored in the last minute it would have meant nothing..

Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:39 pm

oldfogey wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:For me the club needs to show ambition and drive to get to the next level which is progression once again in Europe. And for me I don't feel this is the correct appointments. Yes it is nice to have a certain familiarity about the backroom staff but that doesn't necessarily mean we will be a success. Nor would hiring an english manager from some backwater club. Felt we needed to look to the continent to progress in Europe. Look at Larnaca's model for progression.

I would be concerned that a European manager would want to bring in his own players. Larnaca might have progressed but only 9 of the squad of 20 that we faced in Oriel were Cypriot.

Would that be such a bad thing? Obviously there isn't room for 9, but if you're offering me 3 silky Spaniards that can progress us in Europe then I'm all for it.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:42 pm

The squad is there , attack , attack , attack. That’s all a new manager has to do. Connolly , Duffy , Hoban would be a big part of that philosophy. A dream job for an attack minded manager. Put the ball in the net , that’s what the punters want to see. There will be no problem with season tickets then. Hold a press conference & tell supporters what style of play etc,

shep
Reserves
Reserves

Postby shep » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Jesus I have to laugh at people threatening to not renew season tickets if certain managers are put in place. Talk about a club being a victim of its own success!! We had a wonderful manager in Stephen Kenny,he has moved on. Luckily for us we have a wonderful squad and any manager would be delighted to inherit them. If John Gill is appointed then it will be to help us get Vinny into the role without any restrictions. Fair play to John if this is the case to agreeing to facilitate the club.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby superman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Its laughable if we let someone like John Gill back into this football club. Just 2 months ago we were the most ambitious football club in Ireland, and now we are going to to appoint a relatively football dinosaur as DOF/manager/coach whatever.

Dundalk should keep the ambition, go out and find someone that can keep pushing and winning.
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:59 pm

shep wrote:Jesus I have to laugh at people threatening to not renew season tickets if certain managers are put in place.

Good news if it is a stand season ticket - there is strong demand for them as they are in short supply
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Hairy78 wrote:If John gill gets the job,I will definitely not be renewing my season ticket. Jesus,we got promoted in kildare because limerick scored in injury time,we'd probably still be in the graveyard only for them!!

You can save the money on your season ticket to go watch Arsenal play ONCE, Enjoy

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Postby McNultys Discopants » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:15 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:

Is that right? I wasn't sure - I thought he got us promoted because we won the division and had the best record over 36 games??!

And only limerick scored in the last minute it would have meant nothing..

And only for the 20 other wins and 63 other goals scored by Dundalk that season it wouldn't have mattered either. Ridiculous statement. Football is a results driven business. John Gill won promotion because he managed to get the best results over the course of the season.

Hairy78
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Hairy78 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:36 pm

DundalkChampions wrote:

You can save the money on your season ticket to go watch Arsenal play ONCE, Enjoy

Wouldn't waste my money going over there! It's a complete lack of ambition and imagination from the club if we take a step back and have gill at the club. Can we not move forward and look to somebody new,instead of resorting to same old same old. I'll stand by my word,no way I'm paying 275 Euro to watch John gill at the helm
Lorraine Hearty

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:43 pm

If it’s Gill it’s just to facilitate Perth. I like Gill and think he could make a positive contribution, but I wouldn't be giving him the job under any other circumstances.

Can’t quite get my head around the IKWT brigade being so negative about Kenny’s assistant, the man Kenny chose to spend 6 years working hand in hand with him, the man Kenny asked to leave his job to go full time with us. Surely Perth has had the best education of anyone in this League, because he has learned from the best?

Once again bringing in an experienced coach to enable our contracted squad and backroom team kick on sounds wonderful. I'm all for it. Once again who is that man? Why would he work in the 30-something ranked League, at the salary we can offer, with our limited facilities and disinterested governing bodies? And why is that SuperCoach not working somewhere already?

I’m sorry but when I hear that stuff all I can picture is Brian Laws at Shamrock Rovers, or some of the chumps Sligo brought in.

iloveduffy.com
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby iloveduffy.com » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 am

Hairy78 wrote:
DundalkChampions wrote:

Wouldn't waste my money going over there! It's a complete lack of ambition and imagination from the club if we take a step back and have gill at the club. Can we not move forward and look to somebody new,instead of resorting to same old same old. I'll stand by my word,no way I'm paying 275 Euro to watch John gill at the helm

So if Kenny became available in three years time and we happen to be on the lookout for a manager you wouldn't want him. Gill could be a means to an end.
In Kenny we Trust

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:27 am

There is a serious lack of a suitable replacement that ticks all the boxes in League of Ireland. The one person that is already involved in the domestic game that is most likely to tick the boxes is Vinny Perth. We know that his appointment needs someone with a pro licence to be appointed also. It doesnt really matter who that is really if they are a 'silent' part of the coaching setup. We are being a bit presumptious that Giller would want to be in a job where his contribution is a coaching cert that can be hung on the wall. He would have to be offered a decent wedge of cash to take a job where he does nothing imo such is the character of the man. I dont think his pride allow him to take a job like this unless its serious money for nothing.

If we are going to go that route and appoint a coach to allow VP to replace SK then somone like Trevor Croly would be a better option than Gill, Mahon, Devlin et al. He is an excellent coach and the current Shamrock Rovers 'project' is based on a lot of the work he did. He could be part of a fulltime youth development setup at the club, contribute something back for his salary while also having the pro licence to allow Perth take the head coach role. He may not have had great success as a manager in Tallaght but then neither did Stephen Kenny. He probably is a significant part of why Keith Long and the young Bohs team are such a rising stock. Sentiment aside his appointment would mke more sense that John Gill.

After that then we can only look outside the league. With the supposed resources we have we could look to the continent but not just to Spain, Holland - there are plenty of club managers in Scandanavia for example would be ripe for picking bar the few elite clubs and could have experience in progressing in Europe. We need to stay away from Journeyman English coaches like the Laws example but the modern British coach is different. Mark Sampson needs to rebuild a career just as a wild example.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:07 am

Didn’t he also get us promoted a year or 2 earlier only to be shafted by the FAI??
King Kenny!

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Postby McNultys Discopants » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:12 am

colymull wrote:

Didn’t he also get us promoted a year or 2 earlier only to be shafted by the FAI??

Correct and right! Get me John Gill or I'm gonna burn down Merrion Square, Christmas tree and all!

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:40 am

colymull wrote:

Correct and right! Get me John Gill or I'm gonna burn down Merrion Square, Christmas tree and all!

The best of bad dramatic League of Ireland 2006. Rovers docked points for fielding and ineligible player. While looking like a win against them in Oriel the floodlights fail and they scrape a point with Vinny Perth driving Rovers on and it enough to pip us to top spot. We win our (2nd of 3 lucky) relegation/promotion play-offs against Waterford that meant nothing and we were done by a DVD in the end. Dublin City, who relegated Rovers season previous (featuring Carlton Palmer) go bang, results expunged which leaves Stephen Kenny's Derry level with Shels in a winner takes all final night of the season. Shels win on GD and Stuey Byrne has a meltdown live on TV after the game about Stephen Kenny as Roddy Collins realises that everyone at the game thinks he is a flanker. Dundalk fan threatens a FAI christmas tree after the IAG, chaired by the man who owns Dundalk's home, decide to promote Galway who were being run by a guy who had collapsed one of the oldest banks in the world. Did I mss anything?

And things only got interesting for Dundalk FC in the seasons after. Roddy Collins has pro licence if we want to add to the totally crazy days of Dundalk FC in LoI past!

Return to “General Discussion”