Dundalk V Bohemians | Mon 15 April | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 10

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V Bohemians | Mon 15 April | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 10

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:52 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:22 pm
Surprised to hear we went 3-4-3.
Me too. I thought we played the usual formation with Dean Jarvis attacking from left back in a 4 man defence

According to Gavin McLaughlin's RTE report went 3-2-4-1
Dundalk: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Sean Hoare, Daniel Cleary; Joe McKee (Chris Shields 56), Jordan Flores (Patrick McEleney 59); John Mountney (Daniel Kelly 73), Jamie McGrath, Michael Duffy, Dean Jarvis; Patrick Hoban.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/04 ... ck-winner/

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 pm

Disappointing to hear that the stand out poor performers were the four lads brought in to try freshen things up.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sneachta » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:16 pm

We absolutely robbed that.. But management has to take some blame. Making substitutions so early and doing it so often now, just reeks of panic. McKee yes but Flores was coming into the game and deserved another ten minutes.

Chris shields should not have been let near the pitch with a leg so heavily bandaged. I don't see too many professionals in top leagues coming on like that. It wasn't that he wasn't match fit.....he wasn't fit full stop. Management should not be allowing that to happen and should make the decision for him that he is not to play. He then goes and gets himself injured in his first challenge!

Mountney was horrendous. How he stayed on is beyond me. Then he plays the ridiculous pass back to Shields for him to get injured again. We have now made two subs. One totally wasted, where the two Kelly's should have been brought on.

The result will say that they have been vindicated but it was a terrible performance and yes we had absolutely ZERO shots on goal.

3-4-3? I don't know what game Gavin was watching but Dean Jarvis played as a left back the whole game. If it was 3-4-3 the players certainly don't seem to have a clue how to play it. Complicating things for the sake of it.

Keith Long proved what he can get out of a part time set up, with appropriate substitutions at the right time and they are better than the last two seasons.

Struggling to get positives.... The crowd played their part and thank Christ that speaker in the stand has either been replaced or the volume turned down. Rage rant over!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sneachta » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 pm

In saying that..... They went and feckin won the game so that is OBVIOUSLY a positive. Cheering them off reminded me of the time we lost 3-0 to Sligo. A turning point in a league winning season I think that gave the team a lift. Can hope for something similar this time around

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 pm

Here is the penalty incident.

Daniel Kelly certainly went down in the box and if there was contact it was also inside. The contact is not obvious to me from the video although Tomás Connolly was very close to it and had a clear view.

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/11 ... 1181554688
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Bizarre post match interview by Vinny with James Rogers. Man is he feeling the pressure, talking about failure already. He was almost in tears in RTEs post match interview on Friday night. Voice quivering.
Maybe John gill should be rolled out to the media for the next while, he can deliver footballing clichés like no other.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by paul1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:45 pm

Woeful performance , but we got the win . shields no where near fit could barely run at one stage and limping badly at night he end of the game..McKee done nothing , Flores no better although his deliveries from set pieces are better than Duffy’s. Also noticed Andy burton sitting with the new ceo.. We really need massive improvements all over its hard to know where to start..

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:46 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 pm
Bizarre post match interview by Vinny with James Rogers. Man is he feeling the pressure, talking about failure already. He was almost in tears in RTEs post match interview on Friday night. Voice quivering.
Maybe John gill should be rolled out to the media for the next while, he can deliver footballing clichés like no other.
Here is the link to the interview

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Wz48aB13T1

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:47 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
With all due respect you have completely misrepresented both him and the interview itself there.

But you’ve clearly made your mind up a long time ago.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:59 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:47 pm
dundalkfc1903 wrote:
With all due respect you have completely misrepresented both him and the interview itself there.

But you’ve clearly made your mind up a long time ago.
+ 1

Vinny is a breath of fresh air when it comes to interviews

John Gill just mashes a whole bunch of clichés and says nothing

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:18 am

Another typically honest Vinny Perth interview. This time post match with Gerry Malone.

On Chris Shields and Patrick McEleney
"they came on and didn't actual do that well"

https://chirb.it/dx5822

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:12 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:52 pm
El Paso wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:22 pm
Surprised to hear we went 3-4-3.
Me too. I thought we played the usual formation with Dean Jarvis attacking from left back in a 4 man defence

According to Gavin McLaughlin's RTE report went 3-2-4-1
Dundalk: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Sean Hoare, Daniel Cleary; Joe McKee (Chris Shields 56), Jordan Flores (Patrick McEleney 59); John Mountney (Daniel Kelly 73), Jamie McGrath, Michael Duffy, Dean Jarvis; Patrick Hoban.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/04 ... ck-winner/
We were definitely playing with 3 at the back for most of the 1st half. Jarvis and Mountney were playing as wing backs and Duffy spent most of that half almost as a number 10. I'm glad we didn't persist with it as we got a slight bit better 2nd half while still not being great.

Bohs are a really good side and considering they made 7 changes, last night wasn't even their first choice 11, they should definitely be looking at a top 3 finish.
King Kenny!

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:20 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:18 am
On Chris Shields and Patrick McEleney
"they came on and didn't actual do that well"
It was a bit of a strange one as although they probably didn't play any better than the players they replaced, their introductions really lifted the crowd and the team.

I thought a draw would have been a fair result as Bohs totally dominated us in the first half with an improvement from us in the second. The relief in the ground and in the players after the full time whistle had a real feeling of the season turning around and we couldn't have a better side here on Friday to continue getting out confidence back.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 am

I thought McKee and Flores did ok for their first starts . They didn’t create but didn’t make any major mistakes. Flores can certainly pass the ball. It always takes time for new players to become accustomed to how we play. Mountney didn’t take his chance to cement his place and the right wing is again a problem area for us. It was a stonewall pen on the the line. There were no complaints from the two closest bohs players. Duffy was doubled up on every time he has the ball and their right full coped well with him. He, like the whole team , is going through a bad patch and seem low on confidence but I wouldn’t drop the most lethal winger and POTY . VP made some good points in the interview. The new players were brought in to play alongside and compliment the regular starters. Circumstances have dictated that that has been impossible. I don’t think he’ll be judged until the injured players are back

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:40 am

Another generally poor performance, but some positives to take from it. Another clean sheet, apart from one fine Rogers save from an offside shot I don't think we conceded much at the back. Shields and PMcE back means we're approaching full strength in midfield over the next few weeks. And we kept at it, particularly in the second half. Not much was coming off but we continued to play, despite plenty of calls to just randomly 'get it forward'. Indeed Duffy made a mistake to concede a throw in the 93rd minute and we still dug in to create one last chance. The commitment to playing football was admirable and got it's reward.

Plenty of areas for improvement too. Flores has never looked up to standard, McKee struggled- but that was a very strange inclusion. He's hardly got a run off the bench, then he gets thrown in to that DM position against one of the better teams in the league. Mountney had a stinker and Duffy not much better. No service to Hoban. Shields is clearly far off full fitness, with heavy strapping on his knee and clearly not at full tilt, and probably shouldn't have been rushed back (but his and Fats' introduction completely changed the dynamic of the game.) It's telling too that nobody really knows what formation we were playing! For me it was a sort of 4-2-3-1, but Jarvis was playing very far forward (while Gannon was a much more orthodox full back on the other side), with Duffy pushing infield to accommodate him a lot of the time. Maybe the management saw an opportunity there, and in fairness Jarvis being more advanced wasn't really exploited by Bohs.

Bohs looked decent and weren't afraid to play, which was great to see. Plenty of talk of Keith Long and what he could potentially do elsewhere....