Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6987
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Ezeikial » Thu May 21, 2020 11:41 pm

Shoco wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 pm
We are a privately owned club with no members unlike GAA clubs and local football clubs, are we even entitled for grants?
There was a grant of some description achieved in Gerry Matthews time (when last there was any significant ground improvements).

The limited company ownership model did not disallow the grant then.

Of course this is irrelevant if the owners do not intend to make a upgrades
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6987
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Ezeikial » Thu May 21, 2020 11:41 pm

Shoco wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 pm
We are a privately owned club with no members unlike GAA clubs and local football clubs, are we even entitled for grants?
There was a grant of some description achieved in Gerry Matthews time (when last there was any significant ground improvements).

The limited company ownership model did not disallow the grant then.

Of course this becomes a moot issue if the owners do not intend to make any upgrades
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

grayzer75
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Re: Ground Standards

Post by grayzer75 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:20 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:41 pm
Shoco wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 pm
We are a privately owned club with no members unlike GAA clubs and local football clubs, are we even entitled for grants?
There was a grant of some description achieved in Gerry Matthews time (when last there was any significant ground improvements).

The limited company ownership model did not disallow the grant then.

Of course this becomes a moot issue if the owners do not intend to make any upgrades
Ah but Gerry was lying through his hole to get the grant, he stated in the planning and grant applications that the YDC would be free to use for all the deprived kids in Dundalk - would the current owners have to follow suit????

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Pepsi » Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 pm

I suspect the reason the club are trying to get the council on board is to get the grants through......
" The Sports Capital Programme is the primary vehicle for Government support for the development of sports and physical recreation facilities and the purchase of non-personal sports equipment throughout the country. Its objectives are to:

The Sports Capital Programme is the primary vehicle for Government support for the development of sports and physical recreation facilities and the purchase of non-personal sports equipment throughout the country. Its objectives are to:
  • assist voluntary and community organisations, national governing bodies (NGBs) of sport, local authorities and Education and Training Boards and schools to develop high quality, accessible, safe, well-designed, sustainable facilities in appropriate locations and to provide appropriate equipment to help maximise participation in sport and physical recreation
  • prioritise the needs of disadvantaged areas and groups (such as people with disabilities) in the provision of sports facilities
  • encourage the sharing of sports facilities by clubs, community organisations and national governing bodies of sport.
Time for every person in Dundalk and surrounding areas, who takes the time to travel to Dublin for an FAI Cup final day out, who cries when they fail to get tickets for Europen games or end of season deciders to start lobbying every councilor, TD, senator or taxi driver they know to get Dundalk FC a better deal when it comes to public support and funding. Time to show just how nationally and internationally important Dundalk FC is and how much positive publicity the club brings to the town, county, province and country.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6987
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Ezeikial » Fri May 22, 2020 9:02 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 pm
I suspect the reason the club are trying to get the council on board is to get the grants through......
" The Sports Capital Programme is the primary vehicle for Government support for the development of sports and physical recreation facilities and the purchase of non-personal sports equipment throughout the country.
Is there any reliable indication that the club are even considering a grant application?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Pepsi » Sat May 23, 2020 4:22 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:02 pm
Pepsi wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 pm
I suspect the reason the club are trying to get the council on board is to get the grants through......
" The Sports Capital Programme is the primary vehicle for Government support for the development of sports and physical recreation facilities and the purchase of non-personal sports equipment throughout the country.
Is there any reliable indication that the club are even considering a grant application?
They have publically said they would need/expect council support to get Oriel done up. They have also pointed to the unfair advantage some teams have when renting modern grounds........make what you want of that but in my world that mean they are willing to do something if the council get on board and make some sort of contribution.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6987
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Ezeikial » Sun May 24, 2020 10:22 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:22 pm
Ezeikial wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:02 pm
Pepsi wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 pm
I suspect the reason the club are trying to get the council on board is to get the grants through......
" The Sports Capital Programme is the primary vehicle for Government support for the development of sports and physical recreation facilities and the purchase of non-personal sports equipment throughout the country.
Is there any reliable indication that the club are even considering a grant application?
They have publically said they would need/expect council support to get Oriel done up. They have also pointed to the unfair advantage some teams have when renting modern grounds........make what you want of that but in my world that mean they are willing to do something if the council get on board and make some sort of contribution.
With all respect to you Pepsi, I think that it takes a gigantic leap of imagination to arrive at that conclusion.

As far as I am aware there is zero indication that a Capital Sports grant application is imminent, or even under active consideration.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Pepsi » Mon May 25, 2020 7:57 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:22 pm
Pepsi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:22 pm
Ezeikial wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:02 pm


Is there any reliable indication that the club are even considering a grant application?
They have publically said they would need/expect council support to get Oriel done up. They have also pointed to the unfair advantage some teams have when renting modern grounds........make what you want of that but in my world that mean they are willing to do something if the council get on board and make some sort of contribution.
With all respect to you Pepsi, I think that it takes a gigantic leap of imagination to arrive at that conclusion.

As far as I am aware there is zero indication that a Capital Sports grant application is imminent, or even under active consideration.
https://www.talkofthetown.ie/dundalk-fc ... ium-goals/

Do you seriously think that Peak6 came out with such statements without knowing that there may be a problem for a privately owned company/fully professional setup to get hold of grants. It is clear that they hope to not only get support of LCC but also to use the council as a vehicle to get around the grants problem they may face. Not even they are stupid enough to think LCC are going to walk in and pay for the ground, if and its is a very big IF, LCC are to be involved in any redevelopement of Oriel, it will be purely with grant money, regardless of where it comes from.
“We need help from our county. We need help from our national, local government and the FAI. If you think about this place and Dundalk, Dundalk Football Club is a fabric of this community. This town deserves to have a stadium that is up to the standard of what we see on the pitch every day.”

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6987
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Ezeikial » Mon May 25, 2020 9:20 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:57 am

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/dundalk-fc ... ium-goals/

Do you seriously think that Peak6 came out with such statements without knowing that there may be a problem for a privately owned company/fully professional setup to get hold of grants. It is clear that they hope to not only get support of LCC but also to use the council as a vehicle to get around the grants problem they may face. Not even they are stupid enough to think LCC are going to walk in and pay for the ground, if and its is a very big IF, LCC are to be involved in any redevelopement of Oriel, it will be purely with grant money, regardless of where it comes from.
“We need help from our county. We need help from our national, local government and the FAI. If you think about this place and Dundalk, Dundalk Football Club is a fabric of this community. This town deserves to have a stadium that is up to the standard of what we see on the pitch every day.”
There is all sorts of straw man deflections and obfuscations going on here around potential grant application problems and the role of LCC and politicians etc.

The key part of that article you referenced is that then chairman Michael Treacy categorically stated that Peak6 "are not going to spend €5m to €6m to build a piece of real estate on land we don't own". Des Casey is on the record many times over as saying the ground is not for sale.

Of course even if the Casey Trust made it available for sale, it does not mean that Peak6 would purchase it, nor does it mean that Peak6 would spend €5m to €6m to redevelop it, even if Govt grants were forthcoming.

I repeat that there is zero indication that a Capital Sports grant application is imminent, or even under active consideration; although I would be delighted to learn anything to the contrary.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Pepsi » Tue May 26, 2020 5:38 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 pm
I suspect the reason the club are trying to get the council on board is to get the grants through......
" The Sports Capital Programme is the primary vehicle for Government support for the development of sports and physical recreation facilities and the purchase of non-personal sports equipment throughout the country. Its objectives are to:

The Sports Capital Programme is the primary vehicle for Government support for the development of sports and physical recreation facilities and the purchase of non-personal sports equipment throughout the country. Its objectives are to:
  • assist voluntary and community organisations, national governing bodies (NGBs) of sport, local authorities and Education and Training Boards and schools to develop high quality, accessible, safe, well-designed, sustainable facilities in appropriate locations and to provide appropriate equipment to help maximise participation in sport and physical recreation
  • prioritise the needs of disadvantaged areas and groups (such as people with disabilities) in the provision of sports facilities
  • encourage the sharing of sports facilities by clubs, community organisations and national governing bodies of sport.
Time for every person in Dundalk and surrounding areas, who takes the time to travel to Dublin for an FAI Cup final day out, who cries when they fail to get tickets for Europen games or end of season deciders to start lobbying every councilor, TD, senator or taxi driver they know to get Dundalk FC a better deal when it comes to public support and funding. Time to show just how nationally and internationally important Dundalk FC is and how much positive publicity the club brings to the town, county, province and country.
The very reason I said I suspect in my opening sentence.......Peak6 are as tight as a ducks backside in water when it comes to giving such info to fans. However I do feel if LCC walked up to Oriel and said we will build XY and Z...the Yanks would not say no, in fact they would probably open the drawer and put the plans on the table. Again the fact that they are stating figures, calling for public support publically, would suggest that they do not plan to do anything alone without support, be that grants, full new build or whatever....they are sniffing for public financial support in whatever form. Peak6 have realised that their biggest rival have a brand spanking new ground for which they pay minimal rent. The biggest cost of a stadium is not building it if planned correctly....long term it is maintaining it and that is where Roche, Delany and other crooks in the FAI set Rovers up lovely with SDCC. The Yanks must be asking themselves why should we do it ourselves and give them an advantage....

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6987
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Ezeikial » Tue May 26, 2020 5:58 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:38 pm

The very reason I said I suspect in my opening sentence.......Peak6 are as tight as a ducks backside in water when it comes to giving such info to fans. However I do feel if LCC walked up to Oriel and said we will build XY and Z...the Yanks would not say no, in fact they would probably open the drawer and put the plans on the table. Again the fact that they are stating figures, calling for public support publically, would suggest that they do not plan to do anything alone without support, be that grants, full new build or whatever....they are sniffing for public financial support in whatever form. Peak6 have realised that their biggest rival have a brand spanking new ground for which they pay minimal rent. The biggest cost of a stadium is not building it if planned correctly....long term it is maintaining it and that is where Roche, Delany and other crooks in the FAI set Rovers up lovely with SDCC. The Yanks must be asking themselves why should we do it ourselves and give them an advantage....
Pepsi, I think we agree on a number of points

1) Peak6 would acquiesce to LCC in the improbable circumstances that they were able and willing to fully fund an upgrade to Oriel

2) Peak6 are unlikely to do a major upgrade without grants or other major financial supports

3) Peak6 are probably envious of the facilities at Tallaght Stadium.

However the bottom line remains that there is no evidence - or reason to believe - that they are interested in investing in any stadium upgrade with or without major grant support.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Post Reply