Arsenal v Dundalk | Europa League Group B Matchday 2 | Emirates Stadium | 20:00 Thursday 29 Oct 2020

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Arsenal v Dundalk | Europa League Group B Matchday 2 | Emirates Stadium | 20:00 Thursday 29 Oct 2020

Post by El Paso » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:30 pm

So. The most glamorous match we've played in nearly 40 years is on Thursday.

And yet, between the fears of an almighty thrashing and all the Covid restrictions, we can't properly enjoy the build up. Still, I think by Thursday the nerves and excitement will be well bedded in.

Hard to know if Arsenal's defeat today and game against Man United next Sunday will have any bearing on what they do. They should be able to put out a mostly reserve side and beat us handily. Hopefully they make enough changes to be disjointed enough that we can take a bit of advantage. Also hard to know if the ground being empty helps or hinders us.

Being realistic, a goal and a performance to be proud of will be more than enough for me anyway.

Very hard to know who should start. The league matters more, because that's the situation we've put ourselves in. However we have our pride and a thrashing would be hard to take.

The fatigue thing really bothers me. We've only had a lot of games in the last couple of weeks. And obviously trips to Waterford, Derry and Cork didn't help. But we shouldn't look as leggy as we did today. Our Strength and Conditioning seems way off what it was a couple of seasons ago.

Assuming everyone is up for leaving every ounce on the pitch:

Rogers
Gannon-Cleary-Boyle-Leahy
Shields-Sloggett
Mountney-Murray-Duffy
Hoban

The back four should be able for 90 minutes but the big fear is midfield and what we saw the other night. So it might make sense to start a trio of Kelly-Shields-Murray and replace it with a trio of Mountney-McEleney-Sloggett early in the second half as the energy levels drop. It's not really a match for springing Kelly from the bench. Once we're under pressure he won't be much use. Colovic can replace Duffy if he gases out, while Dummigan can replace Gannon the same.

Hearty Boy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Arsenal v Dundalk | Europa League Group B Matchday 2 | Emirates Stadium | 20:00 Thursday 29 Oct 2020

Post by Hearty Boy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:59 pm

That looks a great guess at likely team selection. Gartland might feel hard done by but all players mentioned deserve their one huge European game day. The team is on the decline but just maybe their one last big game performance in them.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Arsenal v Dundalk | Europa League Group B Matchday 2 | Emirates Stadium | 20:00 Thursday 29 Oct 2020

Post by El Paso » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Garts just doesn't have the pace for this type of game. He did nothing wrong against Molde. But he's our oldest outfield player at 34 next week, and he was never the speediest. It's no insult to suggest he shouldn't start Thursday. If our set-pieces hadn't been so poor for so long, I'd have thrown him in over Boyle, I think.

The way I look at it Thursday isn't an 11-man match, it's a 16-man match and we should plan for playing 16 players so that the players who'll have to run the hardest can be replaced as soon as necessary. Obviously circumstances like an injury can mess with those plans. But we need to show better preparation for changes than we did against Molde or Waterford. Filippo talked about blocking in the middle third against Molde, so presumably that's still the tactic and therefore where we'll need the fresh legs.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:33 pm

I think just about everything worries me about Thursday night, it def is our biggest glamour euro game since Spurs ECWC 81 or Liverpool EC 82, but look at the form we were in during those two periods compared to now.

First half v Molde, first half v Derry, second half v Faroes, maybe most of Sheriff game (in 90 mins) offers some hope, but then you look at Waterford away, second half v Molde, the uncertainly over players not knowing if contracts will be offered, the manager situation, and this could be one very long night.

I`m fearful of a massive hammering, not even sure what our best plan is, go 5 at the back, but that would just invite them to attack at all times, go 4 at the back and an actual 5 in MF with no number 10, just one attacker, I don't know.

Is St Gerrard's Novena doing an online service actually, or is that not until November?

Hearty Boy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hearty Boy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:17 pm

Putting in an ultra defensive approach would be acceptable if it was Arsenal's first team or first team and squad players.
However I think this will be a 90% Arsenal squad/reserves so no need to play ultra defensive, sensible yes but no need to just invite them to pummel for 90mins. They need to check the Arsenal team or expected team and if they have eyes only for Man U game and throw out a reserve team we need to play a more normal formation.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:20 pm

mike wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:33 pm
I think just about everything worries me about Thursday night, it def is our biggest glamour euro game since Spurs ECWC 81 or Liverpool EC 82, but look at the form we were in during those two periods compared to now.

First half v Molde, first half v Derry, second half v Faroes, maybe most of Sheriff game (in 90 mins) offers some hope, but then you look at Waterford away, second half v Molde, the uncertainly over players not knowing if contracts will be offered, the manager situation, and this could be one very long night.

I`m fearful of a massive hammering, not even sure what our best plan is, go 5 at the back, but that would just invite them to attack at all times, go 4 at the back and an actual 5 in MF with no number 10, just one attacker, I don't know.

Is St Gerrard's Novena doing an online service actually, or is that not until November?
The Novena was 8th to 16th October. Looks like you're soul is past redemption, condemned to watching Louth for eternity.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:24 pm

Hearty Boy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:17 pm
Putting in an ultra defensive approach would be acceptable if it was Arsenal's first team or first team and squad players.
However I think this will be a 90% Arsenal squad/reserves so no need to play ultra defensive, sensible yes but no need to just invite them to pummel for 90mins. They need to check the Arsenal team or expected team and if they have eyes only for Man U game and throw out a reserve team we need to play a more normal formation.
Sometimes you are better off playing a full first team comfortable with their assured position in the squad, with nothing to prove, who know when enough is enough as opposed to fringe players playing like demons for the entire 90 seeking favour from a manager playing for contracts etc. Then again they had to name a squad for the Europa league so I am sure it isn't full of fringe players anyway. 4 or 5-0 is acceptable but I am fearful of 10.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:35 pm

It's worth remembering that one of the two things that absolutely killed Dundalk after our rise in the late '60s was Liverpool murdering a team that Liam Tuohy had three or four kids in it in 1969. Overnight almost the crowds collapsed. I don't think we'll be able to shrug off a thrashing of that magnitude. We have to fight to ensure it doesn't happen.

I kind of have a Euro 2012 vibe about this year's group stage. The thrill of qualifying, the opening match against Croatia where we did ok first half and were all excited, then they outclassed us in the second. Followed by the Spain game where they scored after 5 minutes and won 4-0 but it could have been 14-0.

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:01 pm

Gutted that we can’t go to this game. I was too young for Spurs away in 81 and here is the next big chance in London, spent have my life there. Football without fans is like a comedian playing to an empty room

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:15 am

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:01 pm
Gutted that we can’t go to this game. I was too young for Spurs away in 81 and here is the next big chance in London, spent have my life there. Football without fans is like a comedian playing to an empty room
Yeah it's bittersweet all right. I go to most of our European games and during qualifying I was annoyed I was missing out on a few trips. Not getting to see us in the Emirates is a kick in the gut. We would have brought 1500 over easily and atmosphere would have been electric.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:35 am

I've subconsciously ignored this one, not going to the matches really makes you wonder what's the point. This should be an all-time highlight, it's the biggest glamour game since the 80s and might be the biggest club we play in the next 50 years. And nobody will be at it. I'd have taken the kids out of school (if it wasn't midterm anyway!) and brought the family over, I've no doubt we'd have brought minimum 2,000-3,000. There was over 1,000 in Alkmaar. It's the type of game that we should be talking about for decades to come, it's the type of game that should be a defining moment in the football lives of the 8-16 years old fans who've never made a Euro away game. Instead it's another TV show, another episode of Match of the Day.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:50 am

I didn't even think of midterm. That would instantly boost our numbers when like you say families would travel over.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:07 am

FG in Argus saying he will be prioritising the Pats game??? Now I'd love to know how he thinks he can do this, given the EL squad has already been submitted with no changes allowed.

Pity he didn't prioritise the FH game, after that long and gruelling trip back from the Aviva 3 days before.

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:47 pm

I have no idea nor am I suggesting what team we should send out b Arsenal with Pats game in mind. But if our focus was fully on Pats it could look like this but suspect it will be a half way house. Assuming all fit

McCarey
Dummigan Hoare Boyle Leahy
Flores Mountney Murray
Kelly McMillan Oduwa

And for Pats
Rogers
Gannon Gartland Cleary Leahy
Shields Fats Sloggett
Colovich Hoban Duffy

I think that only leaves Parching and Gatt unused with Massey injured

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:49 pm

It is such a shame that we have to consider compromising to get 3rd place should be in the bag so we can enjoy Arsenal and give it our best shot