Dundalk V Derry City | Tues 23 May | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk V Derry City | Tues 23 May | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk

Postby Ezeikial » Sun May 21, 2017 11:11 pm

This is a great opportunity to a big 7 points between ourselves and Derry.

Derry have been inconsistent but the win over Rovers on Friday will give them confidence coming to Oriel

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dunalk V Derry City | Tues 23 May | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk

Postby Louth4sam » Mon May 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Ezeikial wrote:This is a great opportunity to a big 7 points between ourselves and Derry.

Derry have been inconsistent but the win over Rovers on Friday will give them confidence coming to Oriel

They seem to have come out of their understandable slump after McBride's passing having won the last two games so (and I know this will sound incredibly insensitive) it seems like we've faced them twice at times that were less advantageous then our rivals. I'm not trying to trivialise what Derry have gone/are going through, especially as they looked like real challengers at one stage.

We've been much better over the past couple of matches. There seems to be an urgency that we haven't had and more energy in the team. Benson has been like a new signing and McGrath and Duffy are coming into form on the wings. I still believe that we have a few passengers in the squad between players that have stagnated/regressed and some of the new players not being good enough. A couple of good signings in the summer and bring the two lads back from their loans and we can have a good run at the tail end of the league to set us up for a challenge next year.

If we can get through a round in Europe, win the cup and have a team ready to challenge next year it will be a relatively successful season especially after the disastrous first round of games
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon May 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Completely agree on this line above from LFS

If we can get through a round in Europe, win the cup and have a team ready to challenge next year it will be a relatively successful season especially after the disastrous first round of games

Also spot on re Duffy and McGrath, he seems to change them a bit but recent games with Duffy on the right and McGrath on the left seems to what was missing from earlier in the season, nice balance to it.

Hopefully Benson will continue to drive the team forward, always thought if he stays long term, he could be a definite future captain in the making.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon May 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Team news

Dundalk will be without the injured Brian Gartland (hamstring), Shane Grimes (muscle) and John Mountney (groin) however Kenny can welcome back Steven Kinsella who has recovered from his hamstring strain and will be in the squad.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-vs-derry-city-4/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Mon May 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Louth4sam wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:This is a great opportunity to a big 7 points between ourselves and Derry.

They seem to have come out of their understandable slump after McBride's passing having won the last two games so (and I know this will sound incredibly insensitive) it seems like we've faced them twice at times that were less advantageous then our rivals. I'm not trying to trivialise what Derry have gone/are going through, especially as they looked like real challengers at one stage.

We've been much better over the past couple of matches. There seems to be an urgency that we haven't had and more energy in the team. Benson has been like a new signing and McGrath and Duffy are coming into form on the wings. I still believe that we have a few passengers in the squad between players that have stagnated/regressed and some of the new players not being good enough. A couple of good signings in the summer and bring the two lads back from their loans and we can have a good run at the tail end of the league to set us up for a challenge next year.

I am probably in a minority of 1 but I hope we have an ambition to be no more than 10 points behind cork come the break and no more than 7 by the last time we face them in TC and hopefully be no more than 4 behind them with 5 to play.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Mon May 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Could be a possibility with the way things are going in sligo

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Had to open my big fat mouth

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue May 23, 2017 11:51 am

Dundalk's Sean Gannon knows he will have to play his way back into the team ahead of Derry City clash
A cornerstone of the Lilywhites’ three-in-a-row succes, the right-back is fit again after seven weeks out

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/ ... y-10476337

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Poor enough so far. Barretts distribution is shockin. Shields not great either. Stevie O'D required

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue May 23, 2017 9:40 pm

We had to have a 0-0 sometime... had a reek of it from after the good start faded.

Problem with thinking we could catch Cork is that we're still more likely to have results like tonight's than they are.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Tue May 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Battle for second is on. Three teams in it. Two evenly matched teams tonight. Not a whole lot happened. To hell with winning league. Not gonna happen. Real battle for 2nd and 3rd now.

Fully expect 3 points in Richmond. I'll go 2-0.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:31 pm

Who told Paddy he is good at cross field passes??

Plenty of good players in both sides but very little quality on show tonight.

Thought we were unrecognisable at times, hit and hope, kick and rush stuff.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:49 pm

No doubt Derry set out from the off for a draw & other than the last 10 mins when they tried to sneak a win. From Dundalk's point of view we found it difficult to break a strong Derry defence down. Shields, I thought was one who was making anything happen & I was surprised to see him coming off for O' Donnell who like the other subs didn't add much. The only positive was that we didn't lose & Bray didn't gain on us as well as another clean sheet. Yes, its second to play for now but we will continue to improve, I've no doubt about that.

Pat's up next & a win here will set us up nicely for Cork Friday week.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Handsome Prince
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Handsome Prince » Wed May 24, 2017 12:09 am

I'd love to know what is going on in the Club.
That was a rubbish performance tonight. Disagree with 1903 - who thinks Shiels was poor!!! Shiels was the only player on that pitch who deserved his wages tonight. Perhaps throw McGrath in there as well.
Barrett was extremely poor with his bumping into people and his cross field passes. What was that all about??
Vermullen - for a guy who thinks he's a wonderful player, he really should look at a video of that game tonight. Benson was poor - obviously carrying a knock, but made no difference at all to the game.
Duffy was good in the first half, but not good in the second apart from that fizzing low cross that their keeper snuffed out.
McEleny should have bothered togging out at all, he was shocking. For a man who started the Season like a Champions League player, he has swung that pendulum firmly in the opposite direction. God it was painful watching him tonight.
Kilduff came on with 20 mins to go and gave his usual contribution - nothing. A few stretches and chasing their goalkeeper to pick up the ball was his contribution. Always 2nd to the ball, and nearly always beaten in the air, because he won't jump!!
l also think that Kenny needs to be asked questions off - taking off Shiels when he was by far and away the best player on the pitch. Intercepting balls and driving us forward, to be substituted for O'Donnell whose net contribution was effectively speaking nil!! An amazing miscalculation by Kenny and Perth. What game were they looking at l wonder??
There really seems to be somthing wrong or something going on in that Club.
Love to hear your opinions lads, because 'something ain't right' !!
Yea l know we've had 4 superb years and perhaps things move on, but teams don't just melt away like that. Especially at League of Ireland level. One, two perhaps three players may play badly and you get a bad result. BUT for an entire team to underperform weak after weak, reeks of taint. There is something badly amiss.
Any thoughts anyone??
Would love to hear how my beloved Town have become so bad, in such a short space of time??
as ever
H.P

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V Derry City | Tues 23 May | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:36 am

There's something not quite right in oriel. What I don't know. There appears to be no drive or fight. It seems like complacency? Barrett thinks he is der Kaiser. He is more Franz Ferdinand than Franz Beckenbauer. Hoare isn't up to it either. Vemmelund swans through the game. Said he was too good for the LOI and it was only plan B. Well plan A must have been selling the hotdogs outside Wembley cos he isn't better than Sean Gannon or better than LOI standard. We need Gannon back asap as he drives us forward. Mceleney isn't as good as he was at the start of the season. But I don't think he is fully fit, nor do I think Benson has fully recovered. Duffy is useless. Wouldn't get a kick in a stampede. Stewart showed a little tonight in his brief cameo. Horgan and Boyle can't be replaced but I thought we were close enough to be competitive and possibly do 4 in a row. That is now gone.. no way back from 15 points. We aren't even being competitive. Possibly the extended season last season is coming back to haunt us now.. but it is vital we finish 2nd now. But ffs lads show a bit more drive and determination on the pitch lads. In King kenny we trust..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Return to “General Discussion”