Dundalk V Derry City | Tues 23 May | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V Derry City | Tues 23 May | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:37 am

We all knew management included that Boyle and Horgan were leaving but finn was an unexpected loss and we had no plan B to replace him then and his is a big loss.

Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed May 24, 2017 9:26 am

Totally agree on Finn, the other two were always going, you just wonder was enough done to keep him here, or was he hell bent on leaving to re-join Rovers, either way we are so much weaker in the middle of MF now. The second half display from the side was a shadow of last season, just no spark in any area.

4 in a row was always going to be a huge ask, and I expected Cork to be much closer, never expected us to be so poorer though. We seriously need new players in July to re-ignite the squad.

Time to build for next season, but we should still target realistic ambitions of trying to win the cup and to get past one round in Europe, but the latter will of course depend on the draw.

EDIT: I thought Hoare did well last night, has some nice touches, good tackling too, Vemmelund is not my cup of tea at right full, Gannon has to come back in.

Also agreed on another clean sheet, 3rd in a row is something to take from the match.
Last edited by mike on Wed May 24, 2017 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:55 am

Cant be overcritical of the defence, 3 clean sheets in a row. Distribution out of defence was poor but it was midfield where we disappointed most.

As for Vemmelund, he's doing ok as I don't think he is a natural full back.

Quayman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Quayman » Wed May 24, 2017 3:46 pm

I like McEleney but yet again he was nowhere to be seen all night and he complained to the bench to be taken off when we cut his leg. Kenny told him to get on with it. Duffy is very frustrating, he runs sideways far too much, will not just run at his man and take him on. Distribution from midfield is becoming far too poor, McMillan is having to drop back to the half way line looking for any sort of ball and then that renders us useless up top because there is nobody up there.
Neale Fenn....SCUM

robml88
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Dunalk V Derry City | Tues 23 May | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk

Postby robml88 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:42 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Who told Paddy he is good at cross field passes??

Plenty of good players in both sides but very little quality on show tonight.

Thought we were unrecognisable at times, hit and hope, kick and rush stuff.

It's not a new thing, Barrett trying these wonder balls all over the park. He's repeatedly done it for the past 3 years, where he has the ball just inside his own half, and he sprays a ball over the top only for it to go out of play. I think one moment summed him up last night. It was when he had the ball about 40 yards out over beside the touch line and he took a shot. I don't know what actually would go on in his head for him to think that's a good chance to score.

I really think Dane is poor this season. He was lunging into tackles last night and the Derry players were just skipping away from him. I don't know if it's frustration or what, but that was never seen over the past 4 years. I wouldn't mind Vem going back to left back, as we won the first three games of the season with him there, and then slotting Ganno back to right full.

buster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Dunalk V Derry City | Tues 23 May | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk

Postby buster » Wed May 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Handsome Prince wrote:I'd love to know what is going on in the Club.
That was a rubbish performance tonight. Disagree with 1903 - who thinks Shiels was poor!!! Shiels was the only player on that pitch who deserved his wages tonight. Perhaps throw McGrath in there as well.
Barrett was extremely poor with his bumping into people and his cross field passes. What was that all about??
Vermullen - for a guy who thinks he's a wonderful player, he really should look at a video of that game tonight. Benson was poor - obviously carrying a knock, but made no difference at all to the game.
Duffy was good in the first half, but not good in the second apart from that fizzing low cross that their keeper snuffed out.
McEleny should have bothered togging out at all, he was shocking. For a man who started the Season like a Champions League player, he has swung that pendulum firmly in the opposite direction. God it was painful watching him tonight.
Kilduff came on with 20 mins to go and gave his usual contribution - nothing. A few stretches and chasing their goalkeeper to pick up the ball was his contribution. Always 2nd to the ball, and nearly always beaten in the air, because he won't jump!!
l also think that Kenny needs to be asked questions off - taking off Shiels when he was by far and away the best player on the pitch. Intercepting balls and driving us forward, to be substituted for O'Donnell whose net contribution was effectively speaking nil!! An amazing miscalculation by Kenny and Perth. What game were they looking at l wonder??
There really seems to be somthing wrong or something going on in that Club.
Love to hear your opinions lads, because 'something ain't right' !!
Yea l know we've had 4 superb years and perhaps things move on, but teams don't just melt away like that. Especially at League of Ireland level. One, two perhaps three players may play badly and you get a bad result. BUT for an entire team to underperform weak after weak, reeks of taint. There is something badly amiss.
Any thoughts anyone??
Would love to hear how my beloved Town have become so bad, in such a short space of time??
as ever
H.P

Agree 100% there is something very wrong going on......other than shields no other player deserves his wages after last night's performance,there seems a distinct lack​ interest I would say ,no urgency or desire.The players themselves,both goalkeepers are poor and always have, Barrett liable to do anything penos included,Hoare really don't know, Clifford not good enough,O Donnell two many injuries,Duffy headless chicken,MC eleany doesn't seem interest totally overrated,Kilduff why oh why was he signed.It pains me to say these remarks but I don't think SK has a grip of the team this year,,some may say w are building for next year ,but with these players not a chance ,if there was some desire shown but i can't see any .

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 am

There was an awful moment with 15 to go, nothing happening, 2 up front not working, McMillan coming deep, it was clear to see we were running out of ideas, then the silence from the stand, you could actually hear SK shouting, very strange atmosphere.

A few things obviously missing, and these were the cornerstone of success for the past 3 years, speed and strength. Very much not on show on Tuesday night.

However the frustration is, from highlights on soccer rep, the last 20 mins appeared to be almost exactly where we want to be.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu May 25, 2017 9:12 pm

I don't know about the 'something very wrong' stuff. I just think mentally they know the League is gone already and the extra 5% of grit you need to press higher, move the ball quicker, run harder is gone with it. Logically you would think that if we're that complacent we'll drop right off - but we won't. Same applies to all the other teams too, and we'll do *enough*.

SK will be walking the fine line now of getting this team prepped for Europe and assessing who's good enough to stay and who should be moved on. That Bray defeat did a lot of damage. I think everyone subconsciously gave up on the League after that (rightly or wrongly).
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Return to “General Discussion”