Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 2 June | 7.30pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 2 June | 7.30pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Sat May 27, 2017 5:48 pm

It's a question of pride.

Cork have made a fantastic start and deserve every credit for that.

But it is time that we took them down a notch and ended their unbeaten run.

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 2 June | 7.30pm | Oriel Park

Postby El Paso » Sat May 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Absolutely. If anyone is going to do it, it has to be us, on our patch. Need to make a statement that even if they're leading, we're still the Champions.

Was at their game last night. Didn't think there was much in it until McAllister got himself sent off. Weren't impressive in Galway or Sligo either by all accounts.

Before the game in Turners Cross I said it was about not making mistakes, and we made two bad ones. They punish mistakes ruthlessly. Has to be the message this week.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat May 27, 2017 8:16 pm

What a great game to look forward to, should be a brilliant atmosphere with hopefully 4k + there and even better if we can get another win under our belts. I think we have a really good chance too, but we'll have to get right into them from the start and get control of the MF.

The league title might be a bridge too far, but we can still make it difficult for them, no better way to start than 3 points on Friday night.

Ps, just thinking hasn't McCormack got sent off for 2 different clubs v us in Oriel alone? Looking forward to seeing how he gets through the match, although he seems to have matured a bit these days.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Sun May 28, 2017 8:08 am

Hopefully a great crowd and atmosphere that will get behind the team and give them a lift. Cork are going to be physical. We have to be up for it.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue May 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Odd how much Cork seem to have been got at by the Bradley and Miele quotes. All those points in front and still have a chip on their shoulder. Kind of get the impression the negative comparisons to our 2016 team really sting. Highlights a mental fragility. One thing is for sure - they better not *want* it more than our lads this week.

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby el-pietro » Tue May 30, 2017 4:25 pm

El Paso wrote:Odd how much Cork seem to have been got at by the Bradley and Miele quotes. All those points in front and still have a chip on their shoulder. Kind of get the impression the negative comparisons to our 2016 team really sting. Highlights a mental fragility. One thing is for sure - they better not *want* it more than our lads this week.

Perhaps, but then we went and battered them so it didn't negatively impact us really did it? Given that we didn't even pick up a single card in the game it also didn't lead to any recklessness or misplaced aggression. Though to be fair Jim McKell left his cards at home for the first half as Rovers ploughed into our players over and over again. We were very good last week. Their goal was a crakcer, but I backed us to win -1 and -2 about 5 minutes before the equaliser, partly becuase the odds were crazy but also because of how in control we were. We had several chances cleared off the line, Seani missed a couple of chances you'd expect him to put away (his form isn't great right now) and Nults barely had a save to make aside from the goal.

We'll be well up for this game, no doubt. We have no fear of your lot having a much better head to head record in recent matches and we're supremely confident given the run we're on. There will probably be a sense of lets put the comparisons to Dundalk to bed by beating them to strengthen the gap. Though obviously until we qualify for Europe its not going to go away, that's the world we live in, no one can be happy about a thing, it has to be compared to the other things. We're all guilty of it, myself included.

On the other hand we haven't really played that well away from home in most games this season. We were good in Limerick and in the second halves in Sligo and Inchicore but that's about it. Despite what the media believe we have had our own injury problems and we've struggled to get a consistent team out game after game and we will have players with injury doubts this week, particularly at the back, and it sounds like your injury worries are starting to end? I don't know I haven't been following your season that closely, just the results mostly. Your form has certainly recovered in recent weeks so its not an ideal time to be playing you and I'm sure your pride has been stung so your side will be well up for this too.

It should be a good game, I'm glad its on TV as it gives people a chance to see the two best teams, but also because even though I had decided at the start of the year the only away game I was doing in June was Derry I was very close to asking for time off work after you dropped points last week.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue May 30, 2017 4:34 pm

This has been going on for well over a year now, I’ve said it before, Cork are almost at the stage where they are demanding additional recognition. They probably will win the league this year, so that will make it 2 trophies in 4 years under Cauldfield. Not bad, but not great either. This almost hysterical demand for attention was demonstrated by McNulty’s (tired and emotional) outburst in Soho bar I think, in Cork after the current single trophy they have actually won after the cup final last year. I`m sure its still out there somewhere, well worth another listen.

And don’t get me started on their euro comparison to us, they make the point they won the same amount of games, (two) one of which they didn’t have to leave the Island v a team not yet back in pre season training. Hardly BATE and Macabi Tel Aviv stuff.

Anyway we move on to Friday, really looking forward to this one. I`m going for a 2-0 or 2-1 win for us.

3 points is the objective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue May 30, 2017 4:40 pm

I was at the game last Friday. It was even enough at 11 v 11, though I think Cork would have won regardless given how bad Rovers were at set pieces.

McKell not issuing a single card told me something slightly different to what it told you!

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby el-pietro » Tue May 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Well the cards he should have been issuing were to our opponents. I think he was being very careful in his decision making to make sure he couldn't be accused of bias towards us. We couldn't believe how long it took him to take a card out. Could have sent off one of their attackers for a challenge on McNulty in the first few minutes. I'm also worried about the lack of protection Seani is getting in general. Hes being deliberately targeted and he hasn't suffered a serious injury yet but its coming.

I wouldn't have him near a game with us or any of our rivals again.

robml88
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby robml88 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:51 pm

el-pietro wrote:
El Paso wrote:Odd how much Cork seem to have been got at by the Bradley and Miele quotes. All those points in front and still have a chip on their shoulder. Kind of get the impression the negative comparisons to our 2016 team really sting. Highlights a mental fragility. One thing is for sure - they better not *want* it more than our lads this week.

Perhaps, but then we went and battered them so it didn't negatively impact us really did it? Given that we didn't even pick up a single card in the game it also didn't lead to any recklessness or misplaced aggression. Though to be fair Jim McKell left his cards at home for the first half as Rovers ploughed into our players over and over again. We were very good last week. Their goal was a crakcer, but I backed us to win -1 and -2 about 5 minutes before the equaliser, partly becuase the odds were crazy but also because of how in control we were. We had several chances cleared off the line, Seani missed a couple of chances you'd expect him to put away (his form isn't great right now) and Nults barely had a save to make aside from the goal.

We'll be well up for this game, no doubt. We have no fear of your lot having a much better head to head record in recent matches and we're supremely confident given the run we're on. There will probably be a sense of lets put the comparisons to Dundalk to bed by beating them to strengthen the gap. Though obviously until we qualify for Europe its not going to go away, that's the world we live in, no one can be happy about a thing, it has to be compared to the other things. We're all guilty of it, myself included.

On the other hand we haven't really played that well away from home in most games this season. We were good in Limerick and in the second halves in Sligo and Inchicore but that's about it. Despite what the media believe we have had our own injury problems and we've struggled to get a consistent team out game after game and we will have players with injury doubts this week, particularly at the back, and it sounds like your injury worries are starting to end? I don't know I haven't been following your season that closely, just the results mostly. Your form has certainly recovered in recent weeks so its not an ideal time to be playing you and I'm sure your pride has been stung so your side will be well up for this too.

It should be a good game, I'm glad its on TV as it gives people a chance to see the two best teams, but also because even though I had decided at the start of the year the only away game I was doing in June was Derry I was very close to asking for time off work after you dropped points last week.

His form probably isn't great right now because he's already secured his move away. Will Campion be an adequate enough replacement for Maguire when he leaves, or do you think John will look to the market?

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Tue May 30, 2017 4:51 pm

Personally I believe it's a sad state of affairs if players have to rely on opponents comments about them to rile them up.

Cork are a good side and deserve all the adulation that they get. It is some run they are on and honestly Im basing my opinion on soccer Republic highlights but some of sides they've played especially at home drogheda, rovers, harps and bray put in disgraceful performances against them where they just rolled over. That said they can only beat what's put in front of them

Anyhoo looking forward to this one. Give cork their first real test since we last played them in april. We should be and have to be up for it.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby el-pietro » Tue May 30, 2017 5:04 pm

robml88 wrote:His form probably isn't great right now because he's already secured his move away. Will Campion be an adequate enough replacement for Maguire when he leaves, or do you think John will look to the market?

That is 100% not the case. There was a point on Friday when he was tracking back to get the ball back deep in our own half, he was also chasing down Rovers defenders late in the game, when we were 3-1 up. Seani has not dropped his effort levels. Hes just getting a lot of attention from every defender in the league and finding it difficult to find space. On the plus side that creates space for all our other players.
Campion is a donkey.

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby el-pietro » Tue May 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Johnny Guitar wrote:Personally I believe it's a sad state of affairs if players have to rely on opponents comments about them to rile them up.

Cork are a good side and deserve all the adulation that they get. It is some run they are on and honestly Im basing my opinion on soccer Republic highlights but some of sides they've played especially at home drogheda, rovers, harps and bray put in disgraceful performances against them where they just rolled over. That said they can only beat what's put in front of them

Anyhoo looking forward to this one. Give cork their first real test since we last played them in april. We should be and have to be up for it.

Drogheda were pathetic and we should have won 15-0. Them aside no one is making life easy for us, everyone is coming to Cork making life as physical and difficult for us as they can, everyone comes down with a point to prove.
Harps were in the game for 70 minutes but we stepped up a gear in the last 20 minutes and they couldn't keep up with us, once the second went in their heads dropped.
Rovers spent the 90 minutes trying to kick us into submission. They just weren't good enough at that, or at football to get anything from the game. It helps that their manager doesn't understand football.
Bray were incredible, best team we've seen this year at the Cross so saying they rolled over is way off the mark.

So SR is giving you the wrong impression.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Tue May 30, 2017 5:14 pm

I am looking forward to having a close look at Cork.

Cork have close to a 100% record which suggests they have improved. They also seem to be less dependent on Maguire than last year. The goals are spread about the team.

However, the quality of the other teams is so poor that seeing Dundalk and Cork play each other is the only real way to assess the relative quality of the two sides.

Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kezz » Tue May 30, 2017 5:29 pm

El Paso wrote:
McKell not issuing a single card told me something slightly different to what it told you!
Last edited by Kezz on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”