Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 2 June | 7.30pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 2 June | 7.30pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Whatever about supporters being complacent, if the team adopt the attitude that second place is a given, we are likely to be in big trouble. Europa league is guaranteed only for the top 3 and the gap to 5th place is only 5 points. There is a lot to be done

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Very disappointing performance and result, the worst part was Cork didn't even have to raise their game. Our fitness levels is starting to become a big concern too.

We were good for the first 15 and the first 20 of the second half, that was it, we didn't compete for most of the match.

The quality of the new recruits was poor, but so are the displays of the established players, not one leader on the pitch last night, and if last night was even a glimpse of what is ahead, we are in big trouble going into Europe.

I thought the display, effort and concentration for the last 20 was just totally unacceptable.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:22 pm

mike wrote:Very disappointing performance and result, the worst part was Cork didn't even have to raise their game. Our fitness levels is starting to become a big concern too.

We were good for the first 15 and the first 20 of the second half, that was it, we didn't compete for most of the match.

The quality of the new recruits was poor, but so are the displays of the established players, not one leader on the pitch last night, and if last night was even a glimpse of what is ahead, we are in big trouble going into Europe.

I thought the display, effort and concentration for the last 20 was just totally unacceptable.

Sorry Mike, but we were not as you say very good first 15 mins of each half. We simply didn't turn up tonight or for most of the season. Cork didn't have to get out of first gear to win tonight. Not one single player performed well tonight.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:55 pm

Thought Gannon did ok!

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:27 pm

Well I said we were 'good' for the first 15 of each, not very good, but look I`m not dressing over anything, the overall performance was just not good enough. However, we still have to think back to where we were 5 years ago, and 3 in a row is very impressive.

In saying all that, I still think 'totally unacceptable' is a fair summary of last nights display.
Last edited by mike on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:30 pm

There's some overreacting going on here. The reason we're clear in 2nd is because we're still better than the rest. But we're way off our own very high standards. I thought Cork played very well and clearly did their homework this week. I'd love to know what we did because we played like it was just another game despite all the talk.

We're still on course for two second place finishes and three Titles in 5 seasons. That's insane sustained success. Constructively criticise by all means but some of the griping is bonkers given where we were only 5 years ago.

But mentally, right now, we're not in a good place with Europe on the horizon. It just looks like last year took so much out of everyone involved that getting it together for this year was too much. It's glaringly obvious that everyone jacked the League in after the Bray match. We needed the new signings and Benson and McEleney to freshen the place up after last year's odyssey and with the key men now gone.

They were the ones who should have looked at last night as an opportunity to announce themselves. And they let it slip by. And that does annoy me. Joining this squad, seeing Horgan and Boyle play for Ireland, should have been a spur to milk every drop of talent and competitive spirit. Instead they've ducked every challenge set. We haven't turned a match around once this season. And that's the most frustrating thing when we could have kicked on and given Europe another rattle.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:39 pm

The most disappointing aspect from last night was that up to Cork's first goal we were in the game but afterwards there was no fight whatsoever. Our fitness levels have dropped significantly from last season & the will to win never showed. Duffy, I thought had his worst display in a Dundalk shirt, he even was pulling out of tackles, Massey's game has lost itself & Mc Grath's contribution was poor throughout. Barrett & Shields were the only positives I could see. Fair play Cork, you deserved the win & outplayed Dundalk, the league is yours to lose & I don't see that happening.

C'MON THE TOWN:

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Gav McLaughlin @DundalkSport has a quote from Vinny Perth exactly along the lines here. Refreshingly honest. Now to put it right.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:42 pm

El Paso wrote:There's some overreacting going on here.

That's a confusing statement particularly when you go on to make a range of negative assessments.

What comments are "overreacting" in your view?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:25 pm

Sorry bad use of 'here', meant 'in Dundalk'. Heard a lot of guff last night. In particular stuff about problems off the field or at the club. That's just gossip from attention seekers. The problems are on the pitch to my mind, and solvable. Agree with most of the assessments of the match In this thread, although not the idea that we're somehow worse than second place.
Last edited by El Paso on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Kenny not listening to 'prophets of doom'
Caoimhín Reilly

Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny was clearly a disappointed man on Friday night, having watched his side go down to a 3-0 defeat at the hands of runaway league leaders Cork City at Oriel Park.

The manner of the defeat was startling and emphasises just how far the Lilywhites have fallen since their memorable exploits of the past three seasons.

However, Kenny remains upbeat about his “young team’s” future and expressed his disappointment at what he called the “prophets of doom” who continue to criticise his players.

“I’m not interested in prophets of doom,” Kenny said post-match.

“You can listen to prophets of doom; Barcelona don’t win the league every year and Manchester United in their pomp never won the league every year. It’s a very difficult thing to do.

“Dundalk hadn’t had a team in the top-four in 18 years and then we finished second, won three-in-a-row and we’re second now. It’s unrealistic to expect more than that.

“We have no divine right. Bray and Shamrock Rovers have invested a lot of money, Limerick are going to invest a lot of money, Derry have a cracking side. Why would you think you have a divine right to win the league?

“You see with Sligo and Pats, they won the league not too long ago and now they’re in a relegation battle so certainly you have to earn the right.

“If we finish second it’s a very good season for Dundalk considering all that’s happened,” added Kenny.

The Dubliner did concede his team made life almost impossible for themselves on the night with the manner of their defending.

“We made life impossible for ourselves,” he said.

“They deserved their win and we can’t have any complaints about that but it was a disappointing display from us.

“We didn’t react well to going 1-0 down and there are a lot of young lads in the team at the moment so going 1-0 down effected their confidence.

“In the second-half, we took the game to Cork without being at our best. Robbie Benson had one tipped over and Jamie (McGrath) had a great chance.

“I definitely felt if we got one goal, we could have gotten two. It was one of those matches where even though you’re not playing that well you have a period of sustained pressure.

“But to concede a second goal like we did, we were killing ourselves. There was no reason to concede that goal. It was ridiculous and just not good enough,” the Lilywhites’ supremo added.

Dundalk head to Fota Island on Thursday for a four-day training camp ahead of Friday week’s derby clash with Drogheda United at United Park.

Ahead of that Kenny seemed to issue a calling for the supporters to remain behind his charges, insisting they’re not bad players over one result.

“We’re trying to develop a new team,” said Kenny.

“The team that won the double, we had a midfield of O’Donnell, Finn, Towell, Meenan and Horgan and a centre-half pairing of Gartland and Boyle. None of those players were playing tonight so there have been a lot of changes and a lot of young players have come in.

“All those players are in their early 20s and they’re still learning about set-backs and how you react, character testing and all the things you learn about at the tough end of sport.

“I think that’s part of our learning curve at the moment. We weren’t good enough tonight and that’s disappointing but it doesn’t make them bad players,” Kenny added.

McGregor
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McGregor » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Last nights scoreline accurately reflects the gap between the sides this season. As the manager says we did have a few opportunities to score, Massey on halftime being the best, but Cork could have been ahead in 20 seconds and created far more then us throughout.
There are however a few concerns behind the scenes.
How are key players like Finn allowed to walk away ? surely we should be tying players down earlier..
Who exactly is scouting for the club. Clifford, Kinsella and Stewart have added nothing, compare them to McCormack and Keohane who Cork added in the winter.
We changed Match Analyst, went from losing 10 in 99 over the past 3 seasons to losing 6 in 17 this season. Those 10 included tough matches before and after European ties.
The manager his staff and his players have been a credit to our club I only hope with that they are been given the support they deserve.
We had a full squad last night, but the truth is when we were chasing the game we had absolutely no one on the bench you thought could change things.
Last season we added two squad players for Europe etc, this season we need to add at least two starters and one or two to the panel if we are to secure second and compete in Europe.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:03 pm

What Stephen Kenny has achieved at Oriel Park over the last four years is truly extraordinary. I believe that there are very few managers anywhere in world football that could have attained the heights he has reached in the circumstances. I also absolutely believe that he can lead us to further league titles.

Although his post-match comments must be tinged with the bitter disappointment of defeat, I take issue with some of his comments

All criticism is not negative nor does it mean that anyone criticising the performance of players or the overall team are ‘prophets of doom’. Vinny Perth gave an honest and critical assessment of the performance (as reported by Gavin McLaughlin):

“They did their job better and whether you like it ir nor, they showed a bit more hunger in the game. They won the fifty-fifties and the sixty-forties.
We’ve got to put our hand up and say that wasn’t good enough. We.ve got to question ourselves as a group and ask why that happened.
With all the beautiful football we’ve played for four or five years, we.ve never been out battles at any stage. Tonight we were”

I understand Stephen Kenny’s desire to protect his players against supporter criticism, but he must also understand the level of disappointment at the performance last night and in other games this season.

We don’t have a divine right to win the league, but it is not unreasonable to expect more hunger, desire and character that what we witnessed last night.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Yes I agree with above to expect better, I honestly thought we could raise our game to beat them, this still would have left a 12 point gap and I would have had little doubts they still would have won the league with considerable points to spare.

The massive disappointment tough, was the manner of the defeat, SK is correct in saying we have no divine right to win things, but as supporters we deserved much better than last night.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:40 pm

I think what's surprising is that when Kenny came in he brought in generally unwanted players who all had great character. I suppose the lack of character shown so far has lead to a lot of the negative reaction. We haven't responded well to adversity at any stage this season.

It's Stephen Kenny who decides who to sign and the reality is he didn't even get to think about it until after Christmas. It would be nice to think he'd have the required backroom support but the fact is ours is a club being rebuilt from scratch and hopefully we can now invest in that kind of thing.

I truly believe we are the victims of our own success this year. The foundations just weren't in place to build on the achievements and maybe it's unrealistic to think they would be. With the League gone we hopefully have enough in the tank to stay in second while planning for a more stable future.

Return to “General Discussion”