Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 2 June | 7.30pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Dundalk V Cork City | Fri 2 June | 7.30pm | Oriel Park

Postby paul1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Kenny is right we don't have a devine right to win the league, we all probably agree with that.But what I do expect is a team to fight show hunger and character and players not to pull out of challenges which Duffy did last night. I for one am tired of hearing the excuses of we lost Boyle Horgan Finn and Meenan which Kenny frequently uses , Fair enough Boyle and Horgan were always going so there was long enough to identify replacements.Finn should have been tied down earlier no excuses about European games etc offer him a contract last June for instance and don't be waiting until players contracts run out.And Meenan he didn't want.So it's his job to get them playing with passion and fight, and not to keep harping on about players we lost and the previous home game about the lack of passion from the fans he should be more concerned with the lack of passion in his players. We could except defeats if the team tried and showed fight unlike the rubbish that was on view last night.

McGregor
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McGregor » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:27 pm

I appreciate the managers right to defend his players but lets be honest. Over the past few years our success was in no small part down to the belief of the team and the manager that the game wasn't over until the final whistle. The simple fact is that we haven't picked up a single point in a game where we have gone behind this season,not a single point. Also in the defeat's I was at, Bray and Cork at home and Rovers away, the games were done and dusted well before the end.
Two or three signings are badly needed to give the place a lift, we have loads of quality in the squad so it shouldn't take much to improve things. A second place finish, through a few rounds in Europe and a good cup run would be a good season.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Hoare is supposed to be Boyle's replacement. Duffy is supposed to be Horgan's. Clifford was supposed to be Towell's. Vemmelund and McGrath were supposed to be the strength in depth.

I would hope Perth's quotes reflect Kenny's true opinion and he's just defending his players in public.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:57 pm

I think a second place finish should be achievable but a few rounds in Europe seems a huge ask given the inconsistency of this side.

I'm also not sure on the quality of the squad either, our 3 subs made no impact last night, O'Donnell actually lost the ball and was the prime reason we went 3 down, Stewart got around 30 mins and showed little to suggest he can offer more, and Kilduff continues to frustrate.

We need around 4-5 new faces, and much better fitness levels from those who will stay, lets not forget these guys are all full time professionals. Hoban was there again last night, surely he has to be a target to re-join?

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:59 am

White Horse wrote:
Wexford White wrote:Cork have become what we were and then some more.

The have in their arse.

They are built on a very good defence and exploit mistakes ruthlessly.

We were a different animal completely, we were creative.

They must be gifted a lot of mistakes, then
The Back of the Wall

Handsome Prince
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Handsome Prince » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:04 am

This is a fascinating and very sad thread. We have gone from 4 amazing years to watching that rubbish on Friday night. Forget the loss of players- it was the unprofessionalism that was displayed by our team that upset me. Huge lack of fitness (compared to previous years) lack of interest or passion in the game was shameful.
I have to completely disagree with 1903 who said Shields was terrible. Sorry young man but I have no idea what game you watched on Friday night. But for your information- Shields was the best Dundalk player on the pitch, by a long way!! His substitution was met with incredulity by all around us in the Stand.
Now other players who were bad/rubbish/atrocious - choose your own adjective were
Rogers - responsible for the 2ng goal - NO authority in the box.
Massey - just having a terrible time. Would have been so different if he had of scored that header.
Barrett - just a clumsy oaf. You know you are in trouble when 'he's' taking your free kicks into the box!!!
McEleny - has gone from genius at seasons start, to a complete waste of space - Why???
should have been taken off at halftime.
Benson - on Friday night was terrible. I can only assume he's still injured.
Duffy - he was awful. And pulling out of tackles just make it worse. I can see why Celtic were happy to offload him.
McGrath - flattered to deceive. Very poor but in fairness he was trying.
O'Donnell - poor by his standard. Did nothing really and responsible for the 3rd goal.
Kilduff - his contribution- he was an excellent Ball Boy - getting the ball back to McNulty promptly. Need I say more??
The non mentioned did well - in my opinion. Nothing, and I repeat 'nothing ' like the last few years. But they tried.
But there are at least half a team, if not squad (and I wont mention the 3. Team Members)
that were in the Garage 10 minutes before kick off) who should hang their heads in shame.
They don't know the meaning of the word 'Professional' !!!
Harsh criticism??? Perhaps.
But I would prefer to call it 'tough love', because I love Dundalk Football Club - with a passion. And those players have let me, you, AND the Club down!!
But we've had 4 great years and now it's Cork's turn.
And the very best of luck to them . They deserve it!!
a massively disappointed
HP

Handsome Prince
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Handsome Prince » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:05 am

This is a fascinating and very sad thread. We have gone from 4 amazing years to watching that rubbish on Friday night. Forget the loss of players- it was the unprofessionalism that was displayed by our team that upset me. Huge lack of fitness (compared to previous years) lack of interest or passion in the game was shameful.
I have to completely disagree with 1903 who said Shields was terrible. Sorry young man but I have no idea what game you watched on Friday night. But for your information- Shields was the best Dundalk player on the pitch, by a long way!! His substitution was met with incredulity by all around us in the Stand.
Now other players who were bad/rubbish/atrocious - choose your own adjective were
Rogers - responsible for the 2ng goal - NO authority in the box.
Massey - just having a terrible time. Would have been so different if he had of scored that header.
Barrett - just a clumsy oaf. You know you are in trouble when 'he's' taking your free kicks into the box!!!
McEleny - has gone from genius at seasons start, to a complete waste of space - Why???
should have been taken off at halftime.
Benson - on Friday night was terrible. I can only assume he's still injured.
Duffy - he was awful. And pulling out of tackles just make it worse. I can see why Celtic were happy to offload him.
McGrath - flattered to deceive. Very poor but in fairness he was trying.
O'Donnell - poor by his standard. Did nothing really and responsible for the 3rd goal.
Kilduff - his contribution- he was an excellent Ball Boy - getting the ball back to McNulty promptly. Need I say more??
The non mentioned did well - in my opinion. Nothing, and I repeat 'nothing ' like the last few years. But they tried.
But there are at least half a team, if not squad (and I wont mention the 3. Team Members)
that were in the Garage 10 minutes before kick off) who should hang their heads in shame.
They don't know the meaning of the word 'Professional' !!!
Harsh criticism??? Perhaps.
But I would prefer to call it 'tough love', because I love Dundalk Football Club - with a passion. And those players have let me, you, AND the Club down!!
But we've had 4 great years and now it's Cork's turn.
And the very best of luck to them . They deserve it!!
a massively disappointed
HP

McGregor
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McGregor » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Not sure i follow what you are saying. Where there 3 starters in the shop just before kick off..

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby el-pietro » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Just wanted to say best of luck for the rest of the season. You were poor Friday but you are still miles ahead of most of the rest, maybe Derry can run ye close but Bray will collapse and Rovers are awful. This might come across as a back handed compliment but its not intended that way. You will most likely be seeded in the first and second rounds of the Europa League qualifiers next season, so even if this year doesn't work out, you should be able to put together a decent run next summer.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:41 pm

el-pietro wrote:Just wanted to say best of luck for the rest of the season. You were poor Friday but you are still miles ahead of most of the rest, maybe Derry can run ye close but Bray will collapse and Rovers are awful. This might come across as a back handed compliment but its not intended that way. You will most likely be seeded in the first and second rounds of the Europa League qualifiers next season, so even if this year doesn't work out, you should be able to put together a decent run next summer.

Thanks for the good wishes.

We will play Cork at least once and possibly twice again this season,

While the table and the results in league meetings this season clearly demonstrates the current pecking order, please don't think for one second that anyone at Dundalk FC will simply accept that as being the status quo.

There may be a temporary hick-up in the 3-in-a-row league domination, but I expect normal service to be restored sooner rather than later
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Excellent post Handsome Prince I fully agree with everything you said, it's about time Kenny let them have it and not be protecting them like little babies ,take a leaf out of Perths book it's the kick up the back side they could need.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:19 pm

The 3 players in the shop before the game ?? I take it they weren't in the squad ?? Totally agree HP with your views on the match fair points but you left out Stewart he is no were near what we expect a dundalk player to be and along with Clifford are two players kenny got wrong Clifford was playing none lge for a reason.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Richie Towell was playing leinster senior lge, hoban and mountney (I know kenny didn't sign him) were with mervue spiderman so the fact Clifford was playing non league does not matter. Stewart hasn't had much game time so we can't judge him fairly.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Well niall I've seen enough of Clifford hes no Richie Towell,like wise Stewart he's played in every game bar one all be it as a sub but come on we are over half way in the season or maybe they still need with for it time to gel ?? Not good enough end of story.

Mick Mac
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Mick Mac » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Spiderman wrote:Well niall I've seen enough of Clifford hes no Richie Towell,like wise Stewart he's played in every game bar one all be it as a sub but come on we are over half way in the season or maybe they still need with for it time to gel ?? Not good enough end of story.

Been a while since u said the O Connors should have been kept ahead of all the squad. 1 who can't get a game for Rovers who are worse than us.

Has Stewart started a league game? How he can be judged on 10/15 mins every week is beyond me
When i see you dundalk, I just cant enough, I Just cant get enough

Return to “General Discussion”