Strategic plan

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

micls
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:12 pm
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby micls » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:25 pm

dell wrote:For years its been wondered if someone took a real punt on an Irish club (not former piecemeal credit based or land speculatuon efforts), a fraction of the outlay needed in England, could one


This is identical to the spiel we got when Arkaga took over, stadium stuff included. I genuinely hope this works out differently for ye than it did for us.

One bad game in Europe, they realised its not as straightforward in the LOI as it might look, and they were gone. And we followed.

Your guys may be different, who knows. But I would strongly urge that since you have no control over this, focus on ensuring your supporters trust is in a strong position, just in case. Best case scenario, no need for it but it's a safety net. Worst case, you're ready to pick up the pieces.



oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby oldfogey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:01 pm

There are 2 things to remember in offering player contracts if you are reasonably comfortable money wise.

1. You only need to offer enough to stop someone going to a competitor, never from going to the uk/overseas.

2. You don't need the best player/backup in every position in the league, just a squad that - overall - is the best. If you do (and the best manager) you will never be sufficiently challenged to prepare you for the step up to Europe. Average players will always strive harder to be the best compared to those who spend every week figuring all they have to do is turn up. How much better would Celtic be if Rangers were a force again?

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3031
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:21 pm

micls wrote:This is identical to the spiel we got when Arkaga took over, stadium stuff included. I genuinely hope this works out differently for ye than it did for us.

One bad game in Europe, they realised its not as straightforward in the LOI as it might look, and they were gone. And we followed.

Your guys may be different, who knows. But I would strongly urge that since you have no control over this, focus on ensuring your supporters trust is in a strong position, just in case. Best case scenario, no need for it but it's a safety net. Worst case, you're ready to pick up the pieces.


I see it as being hugely important that supporters listen to the experience of others who can recount what has gone before - particularly the experience around Arkaga

Of course Peak6 could be different and the Arkaga debacle might not be repeated here.

But surely all right thinking supporters should be interested in considering and anticipating the worst case scenario and not bury our heads in a desert of wishful thinking
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

GSBellew
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:46 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby GSBellew » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:33 am

Johnny Guitar wrote:Where is the evidence that Louth co co or the Fai have no interest in providing facilities?


Louth co co have hardly been forthcoming in supporting, embracing or acknowledging the efforts over the past few years, took until last November for the civic reception to honour the achievements.

I do however recall an article in early 2016 when the FAI wrote to the council seeking a site for a new stadia for Dundalk FC, I believe it was around the time there was a question over Dundalk being able to compete without holding the lease to Oriel? Not sure what if anything came of that?

I'm going to weigh in on the feeling very nervous side of this takeover idea, for reasons already mentioned, in light of this I would like to know what if any provisions are already in place ?

If there are provisions already in place who is the contact & is there a way to contribute ?

If there are not provisions in place who is interested ?

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3031
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:26 am

GSBellew wrote:I'm going to weigh in on the feeling very nervous side of this takeover idea, for reasons already mentioned, in light of this I would like to know what if any provisions are already in place ?

If there are provisions already in place who is the contact & is there a way to contribute ?

If there are not provisions in place who is interested ?


Can you expand on this or clarify what you mean by "provisions"?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3031
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 am

According to Martin Connolly on LMFM

We have been approached by a number of different people, not only Americans, Russians, Chinese, Malaysians about some sort of investment in the football club and we have spoken with everybody because we are a group of people who wants to develop the football club, develop the brand, develop the facilities and if we feel that people have got something to offer to us and can be part of that then we would not be doing our jobs if we did not speak to them. There is no deal over the line, no 7,500 seater stadium being built in the next few weeks. When we have got something to say, we will say it all and that’s it – at the moment we haven’t.

Audio here
https://www.lmfm.ie/news/general-manage ... al-has-be/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Would be very happy to see any investment, obviously Oriel has to be demolished and a new modern stadium developed for the generations to come. Even the talk of
investment and a new stadium is long overdue , we have a great team that has raised the bar. Oriel Park has been a laughing stock , hopefully a new stadium is a reality.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7155
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby mike » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:38 pm

I think any opportunity to have the ground redeveloped should be obviously looked at seriously, and of course carefully.

We have to be realistic in looking at Oriel, all 4 sides if that's whats required need to be improved, the main stand is stuck in the 60's, needs to be modernised or knocked, I'd go with the former. Behind town goal, this would be a perfect spot for a new stand, maybe a family one. The shed side, bulldoze, use the back of the YDC, could get a really nice structure in here, could run the length of the pitch, with no poles and this could be the flagship of a newly developed ground. Back to the main stand, planning permission could be an issue as housing is right behind at least half of it, but could curve it out to cover the current away end and the open seating the other side. Would we need all 4 sides ? I'd be tempted to just go with 3 and leave the Carrick Rd end as it is.

Cost of course would dictate all of this, I'd say we are looking at easily 5m in all of this, not cheap and unless we got FAI/Sports Council/LCC grants, and this would mean putting huge amounts in from the club, the owners are absolutely correct in looking at all avenues to see how this could be funded.

Cork / Rovers have a nice arrangement in their MFA/SDCC owned stadia, with all upkeep and future improvements the responsibility of the said owners, but both clubs are paying serious rent, nothing is cheap. I think Rovers pay 7k per month with a clause that 2 missed payments and they can be evicted, not sure on Cork but I heard its also a very substantial monthly payment.

GSBellew
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:46 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby GSBellew » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:59 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
GSBellew wrote:I'm going to weigh in on the feeling very nervous side of this takeover idea, for reasons already mentioned, in light of this I would like to know what if any provisions are already in place ?

If there are provisions already in place who is the contact & is there a way to contribute ?

If there are not provisions in place who is interested ?


Can you expand on this or clarify what you mean by "provisions"?


Not much to expand on, it was a fleeting most likely unrealistic hope that a fund could be set up or could already exist as a back up plan so that if there were financial difficulties down the line as a result of any takeover now there would at least be a starting point, however small it would be better than trying to start when it's already too late.

I fear however that the administrative costs may be prohibitive.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3031
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:38 am

GSBellew wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
GSBellew wrote:I'm going to weigh in on the feeling very nervous side of this takeover idea, for reasons already mentioned, in light of this I would like to know what if any provisions are already in place ?

If there are provisions already in place who is the contact & is there a way to contribute ?

If there are not provisions in place who is interested ?


Can you expand on this or clarify what you mean by "provisions"?


Not much to expand on, it was a fleeting most likely unrealistic hope that a fund could be set up or could already exist as a back up plan so that if there were financial difficulties down the line as a result of any takeover now there would at least be a starting point, however small it would be better than trying to start when it's already too late.

I fear however that the administrative costs may be prohibitive.


Former Trust officers would be better able to clarify this in the context of any funds the Trust raised. The last chairman that I an aware of was Simon Blackmore (current Licensing Officer) while the previous chairman Colm Murphy (current Club Secretary) may also have been Trust secretary at the point it appeared to cease to function.

Perhaps former Trust members and/or financial contributors would also have more information based on any communications they received
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby oldfogey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Although not a member myself it would appear the Trust became dormant rather than being formally wound up. In fact I seem to recall some complaints about membership benefits not being followed through and a lack of communication. These issues may have been resolved without ever becoming public knowledge but it would be important from a credibility point of view if a new trust was to be formed.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7155
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby mike » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:03 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41926607

Interesting piece I was reading yesterday. This was the fa cup match that was shown on BBC last night. AFC Fylde operates out of a village between Blackpool and Fleetwood. I worked in the area in the 90's and the owner here was best mates with the manager of the pub team I played for. I remember him from back then, he used to work in New York and come back for holidays.

Looks an almost perfect model for a redeveloped oriel park to follow with gradual parts added each year, only item to change would be terracing for seating but it looks spot on to me, the advantage this new ground has is access, roads etc but still think we could look at it.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 pm

Any news on the take over..

buster
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:02 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Strategic plan

Postby buster » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:39 am

Was wondering myself was anything happening on this,I can understand if negotiation is taking place but a statement might just help sell more season tickets etc.

User avatar
brodser
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:55 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: RE: Re: Strategic plan

Postby brodser » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:45 am

buster wrote:Was wondering myself was anything happening on this,I can understand if negotiation is taking place but a statement might just help sell more season tickets etc.
I hear that the discussions have hit a roadblock and it's 50/50 whether it will happen. Seems the potential buyers didn't like what they saw when they had a detailed look at the books.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests