Strategic plan

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

roger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Strategic plan

Postby roger » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:34 pm

A strategic approach means a well planed thought out plan It would be foolhardy to look at a development of oriel park without other sporting sand community bodies involved To keep local interests at home he core of development.The property speculators are waiting in he background to pounce. We were nearly caught a few years ago

Ridleys regular
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Ridleys regular » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:50 am

Ezeikial wrote:Lots of talk about stadium development in the media. This is a 13 minute interview by Gerry Malone with Stephen Kenny.

SK: I have great faith in the people running the club (c 10:40 )

https://twistedwave.com/audio_files/118 ... c59cd9eae4

How did you think that interview went? Was cringe for me :( Defo in no way "fascinating"

my own opinion is if dundalk move from oriel i'll not be going with them and i have the support of at least 12 of mates backing that statement up lol

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 am

Ridleys regular wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:Lots of talk about stadium development in the media. This is a 13 minute interview by Gerry Malone with Stephen Kenny.

How did you think that interview went? Was cringe for me :( Defo in no way "fascinating"

my own opinion is if dundalk move from oriel i'll not be going with them and i have the support of at least 12 of mates backing that statement up lol

Why is that RR? Not taking a shot a you, but if the team moved somewhere (in Dundalk obviously) that was a clear better option than constantly redeveloping Oriel, what would be your issue with the club?
Mon the Town!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:54 am

I can understand people not wanting to leave Oriel but you have to let your heart rule your head sometimes. EL Group stage licences require (amongst other things) 8,000 seats. The current footprint in OP doesn't allow for that. I really don't fancy up and down to Tallaght (or Dalymount when rebuilt) all summer.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:17 am

I think if we can get OP up to 5k seats (6k at a push) that should be sufficient for most years. If we are realistic, how many seasons are we likely to have group stage football to look forward to? I think 5/6k seats and parking and the hundred and one other items that are on the list for UEFA will be sufficient for 3 rounds of EL, and maybe 2 rounds in CL.

Our avg attendance is hovering around 3k, but it is important to have a bigger capacity for bigger domestic games, I would still think 5k would meet requirements for most matches, if it is the case for heading to Tallaght for group games every 5 years or whatever, I wouldn’t have a problem with that. Also note SDCC are building a new stand shortly, so that will increase Tallaght capacity to over 7k I think, and in the event of a CL play off if we ever reached those heights again, the Aviva will do. However remember from next season, Cork will start off in CL round 1 not 2, so the chances of any Irish team reaching CL play off again is reducing.

If we can qualify for Europe consistently over the next 5 years for example, and have a stadium with additional seating, we could be looking at almost doubling attendances for the early round matches. This is a potential massive money spinner, just think of the scope for the YDC then, no need to hire the corporate tent then that was in place outside Tallaght, and best of all twice the gate receipts too compared to this and previous seasons euro matches in OP.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:42 am

I haven't listened to the interviews but I've heard rumours the council have given the green light for significant upgrades to oriel, if we decide to go that route

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Ridleys regular wrote:

So if Dundalk move from Oriel you won't follow them?
What sort of supporter does that make you?
I love Oriel but if DFC left for wherever I would still follow them.
The Back of the Wall

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:29 pm

oriel wasn't always our home. so while it holds sentimental value, I would gladly move to a new stadium if was in the best interests of the club.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Always thought it was a shame that Irish Rail didn't make more of our home matches to ferry people up from Dublin. Best part about the location of Oriel for me is being able to walk into town on a high after a win. So it would be a pity if any alternative was more than walking distance from the Town Centre, though the Inner Relief road might be practical given the density of population and location near the college.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Any whispers on ground developments.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:33 pm

There was word a few weeks back that the club had been in to meet with the council to seek approval to install seating around the ground and it was a positive meeting. I have not heard anything else, but I would assume as before that they (DFC) and I think they are right won't release any news until they have concrete (pardon the pun) plans in place.

If I was in their shoes, I`d take my time with all of this, maybe look at one side per year to redevelop, but a lot will depend on finance, they'll def need support from FAI / Capital Grants / Sports Grants too.

What needs to be done is not going to be cheap, plus remember a huge chunk of funds has already been spent on the new pitch and taking ownership of the lease.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Id imagine that a lot of the particularly expensive part of kitting out a new 'stand' underneath can be or has been done in the YDC - medical rooms, control room, office space etc. So it is the structure and toilet facilities that would be the focus. With that in mind the shed side could be expanded bot up and lengthways to increase covered seating. Town goal then and then look at either extending the main stand or flattening it and start from scratch. Imo the stand could be extended but underneath gutted and redone from electrics, ladies toilets and new layout for the shope and bar. The roof could come off and a new roof the full span of that side of the ground would tie it all in maybe. There are no shortage of LoI and in particular Dundalk fans among the staff at LCC from the top management and planners through so if there is something to be done the good will is there within the legalities of plannng etc.
A few partnerships could help with funding like Fyffes, for example chipping in in advance for corporate boxes that I assume would be factored in to any new development. Maybe we could borrow from Dundalk Credit Union ;)

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 am

Sounds good Dell.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Interesting to hear in SKs interview on Eirsport that a lot of Dundalk supporters could not get tickets for Tallaght. It seems in all big games that it is the same story. No word on the strategic plan yet. On a foot note , I trust the Horse / Dog unit etc. etc. will be on stand by for the Cup match in Oriel.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:35 pm

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/imag ... 954531.jpg

I passed this ground a few months ago and it was open so I popped in. Portadown FC, this is their main stand, they have a similar but smaller one behind one of the goals, both are new builds.

No idea about the cost, but imagine something like this over time on the shed side or behind the town goal on Oriel.

Return to “General Discussion”