Strategic plan

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Strategic plan

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:35 pm

oldfogey wrote:I understand the concept but it only applies where (a) they are paying for an asset (b) the asset has some value. The stadium has a nominal value of €1, even the YDC is a low percentage of what it cost to build it. The only asset would be cash in the bank, so you use the clubs own cash for the buyout. What do you think the club is worth, excluding cash?

The only reason for a loan would be to build a new stadium. Unless a new owner did an Arkaga an borrowed money from its own group during the season, hid it from the FAI, and then said they weren't prepared to honour the guarantees. Under licencing rules you cannot borrow money for operational costs.

I think you have it right there, although I'd imagine you could inflate the value of the club now based on proposed Euro money and whatever the turnover of the bars, pitch rental and merchandising is these days.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that people like this structure any money pumped in as a loan to be paid back by the club, rather than an investment that can be 'lost', which could be a millstone around our necks if the attraction of such a deal is annual European money and we have a lean year.

There's only one word for that - magic darts...

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:16 am

From the Mirror

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/ ... p_AppShare

Dundalk are in takeover talks with a Chicago-based company that owns 25% of Premier League side Bournemouth.

Peak6 Investments, a private equity firm, are considering a move to acquire a portion of the club which could radically transform the Oriel Park outfit.

Nothing has been agreed but Mirror Sport understands that current owners Paul Browne and Andy Connolly will stay on board as part owners if a deal is reached.

A year ago, Peak6 bought a 25% stake in Bournemouth and the company founder, businessman Matt Hulszier, was appointed to the board.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:34 am

From the times

The American investors believed to be in negotiations to take over Dundalk also have a 25 per cent stake in Premier League side Bournemouth.

Peak6 is a Chicago-based investment firm, whose co-owner, Matt Hulsizer, also owns a stake in Minnesota Wild, a National Hockey League team. The firm invested in Bournemouth two years ago after Hulsizer failed to secure ownership of Reading a year earlier.

That they have now turned their attentions to Dundalk, runners up in this year’s SSE Airtricity Premier Division and FAI Cup, has the potential to become one of the most fascinating stories of the year, given the pedigree of the people involved, and the depth of their pockets.

Hulsizer, in particular, is an intriguing character, whose attraction to sporting underdog stories alerted him to Dundalk last year, when they became the lowest seeded side to qualify for the Europa League group stages. It is believed talks with Dundalk’s owners have taken place in the last month.

Their plan is to rebuild Oriel Park and construct a 7,500-seater stadium, complete with corporate facilities. In addition, they want to build a schoolboy structure which would make the club self-financing. Dundalk, and every Irish club, operate on a short-term scale, where two-year contracts tend to be the maximum length deals offered to players, thereby reducing their sell-on value.

Should the deal be completed — and sources have said the talks are at an advanced stage — the first objective of the new owners will be to secure Stephen Kenny, Dundalk’s manager, on a new deal. Although he is under contract for another three years, Kenny has attracted interest from overseas clubs in the past six months.

Kilmarnock, as reported in The Irish Sun, placed him on a three man shortlist last month while in the past week Dundee United also made enquiries to see if he was interested in returning to Scotland, where he last managed a decade ago, at Dunfermline Athletic.

The other key objective of Peak6’s plan is to build the Dundalk brand and sell it to an American audience, which may seem over-ambitious from this side of the Atlantic, but which fails to take into account that in 2013, the company raised over $1 billion for a new hedge fund. The playing budget of the club would also increase to over €1.5 million per year, a moderate rise from this season’s spend.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 am

Must admit, despite my cynicism as soon as I read about American businessmen wanting to set up football academies, it is a bit exciting!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:12 am

The most important people in the takeover of any sporting enterprise are the fans. Don't expect to hear any of the small print or the legal loopholes they create.

The schoolboy structure is nothing new. The FAI imposed u15 and u13 teams on all the senior clubs to dilute the power of the SFAI who weren't keen on toeing party line. All at the expense of the huge work done by schoolboy clubs across the country. So if you are not signed up at 12 by an Airtricity club forget it.

The other hugely disappointing aspect is the delay. Replacing the redevelopment of Oriel Park with a brand new stadium (of different design) will set the whole process back by at least another year. In the aftermath of the Bray and Athlone debacles (and Arkaga before them) the FAI will be really cautious about accepting next season's budget submission with new (part)owners on board.

Martin Connolly told us they were waiting on the report from a third set of consultants before making any decisions. Looks like maybe that was a bit of sandbagging.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:30 pm

All sounds great of their intentions/plans but I fail to see where they will make any return on this.

My initial impresssion is this is going to end in tears and if it goes wrong we will need more than bag packing in tescos and quizzes in jimmys to get through it
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:18 pm

I would be very sceptical about it to be honest, and will anything really come out of it by the way?

If this is going to delay any previously mooted ground redevelopment as suggested by OF, this is another hold up we could do without.

If they are serious and want to pump in millions, this will only be got back by CL group stage entry once (how likley is that, given Cork will be starting in Round 1 next season) or 2 or 3 successive EL group stage entries, again a very difficult ask even with new players, you'd need an entire new team.

If there is anything in this, maybe they think as England is closed for their level, and Scotland probably too (no one will challenge Celtic for 5 years min) that the only way open to the CL in 'these parts' is through Ireland.

Why didn't they pick another club though, maybe due to ownership, Cork are fans owned, Rovers also and Bohs are a members club.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:51 pm

Neither Cork nor Rovers own a ground or own a lease on a ground. Pretty soon Bohs won't either. We're the ones that actually own the lease on our ground, We're also the ones that made the Group Stage in Europe and got points. No one else has. AND We're also by far and away the most successful club in the League since the 1984 expansion.

I'm suspicious, but at least wait and see what comes of it. But definitely shouldn't put anything on hold either.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:50 pm

mike wrote:
If they are serious and want to pump in millions, this will only be got back by CL group stage entry once (how likley is that, given Cork will be starting in Round 1 next season) or 2 or 3 successive EL group stage entries, again a very difficult ask even with new players, you'd need an entire new team.

As we are unlikely to see a sod turned until 2019, I would be hopeful that we will have qualified as League winners BEFORE they pump in millions.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Nothing ventured , nothing gained . Do we not like money.
Anyway , it won't cost much to bulldoze Oriel out of it .
Nobody had seen or heard of any plans, and yet you have
negativity . No wonder we haven't a pot to piss in with that kind of thinking.

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:58 pm

Heard tonight from someone I wouldn't doubt that the deal is 100% done.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Strategic plan

Postby Sneachta » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Dundalk10 wrote:Heard tonight from someone I wouldn't doubt that the deal is 100% done.
We've all heard that before

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: RE: Re: Strategic plan

Postby Dundalk10 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Dundalk10 wrote:Heard tonight from someone I wouldn't doubt that the deal is 100% done.
We've all heard that before

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Horse's mouth

carrickfan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby carrickfan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Horses mouth or not, the activity on orielweb is buzzing since the rumour broke!

Return to “General Discussion”