Strategic plan

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Strategic plan

Postby Shoco » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Would love to know what these reports are based on.

For example why a 7,500 seater stadium when everyone knows the minimum capacity for group games in Europe is 8,000.

The report said they were interested in us because of our European run so surely to god they would know that 7,500 is not enough when Tallaght is being upgraded to 8,000

Kartoffel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kartoffel » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Shoco wrote: so surely to god they would know that

That expression was uttered many a time during the Arkaga debacle. Hope for your sakes, ye keep the ownership of the club closer to home, and paddle your own canoe.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:15 pm

I thought the exact same on any review of the ground if they had made that assumption, 30 seconds to look at it would have been sufficient to form an opinion.

On the proposed take over, we never heard any real details so it was always hard to comment, the selling of Milltown and the previous one as per above on Cork were obvious causes for concern though.

If it not going ahead, lets get back to basics and see what the plans are that we can implement on ground redevelopments, even if this is gradual it will still be a huge step in the right direction.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:15 pm

But Mike we can't sell our Milltown as we don't own oriel.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:56 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:But Mike we can't sell our Milltown as we don't own oriel.

Whether Oriel Park could be sold or not is hardly the point being made - Mike simply illustrated that the sale of Milltown and the Arkaga takeover in Cork (where Turners Cross was also the separate ownership of the MFA) were deals that had obvious causes for concern.

In the absence of any real information (or whether this deal is alive or dead) it is impossible to make any judgement, although having a sceptical questioning approach is probably useful
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:10 pm

To me ezeikial far too much of this proposed deal has got out into the public domain. Deals like this should not be public knowledge until contracts have been signed and the club has something to announce.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Correct, we all know it can't be sold and I was only making reference to how a previous ownership ended and in particular the hardship that followed Rovers after in terms of being displaced.

Also agree that without seeing any specifics on this proposed takeover, it was hard for anyone really to comment further.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:00 pm

The idea that an investor would put money into the club on the playing side would make a lot more sense - except that you can't "loan" the money in. You can only take it back out as a dividend, most likely the season afterwards. If you put money in 3 years in a row and we don't make the group stages the funds are dead. Hardly something they would do if they know nothing about League of Ireland.

thecaptain
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby thecaptain » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Times reporting today could be a done deal within a fortnight, solicitors involved now looking at stuff/ drawing up legal documents so the interest is legit, whether the deal closes or not of course is a different matter.
Ian Foster: (On the expectations level at Dundalk): "That's why you want to be involved in management. If I don't do well I'll do my shopping in Newry!"

Ian Foster: Last seen heading for Newry.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:12 pm

thecaptain wrote:Times reporting today could be a done deal within a fortnight, solicitors involved now looking at stuff/ drawing up legal documents so the interest is legit, whether the deal closes or not of course is a different matter.

Full takeover being mentioned. I'm very nervous about this. You can see the value of having two lads involved that actually love the club. I can't imagine the new owners driving around hanging flags around town
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:52 pm

A full takeover is not something I’m relaxed about. It would appear that the owners realise that building a new stadium requires investment that they can’t put in. I guess the choice was to stay small and lose players and the manager or be ambitious and accept new owners. I hope they made the right choice.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:58 pm

I wouldn't be a difficult decision to make.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:54 pm

In the absence of any interest from the FAI or Louth CoCo in providing the required facilities, private investment is the only way we'll make it to the next level. Whether we want that or not is another thing. I've always said that one team dominating the League is bad for football, unless that team is us. Dominating Irish football and being regulars in the Europa League group stage, while difficult, is now a realistic goal.

I have my fears. Ignore all the spin that will come with any takeover - any investment is because the investors expect to make a profit, end of. But we are now already a club that can realistically hope to qualify for the Europa League at least for years to come. The attraction is obvious. For a fraction of the investment an English club would need you could achieve good things.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:52 pm

For years its been wondered if someone took a real punt on an Irish club (not former piecemeal credit based or land speculatuon efforts), for a fraction of the outlay needed in England, could one really progress. This could very well be that opportunity to see. There are of course going to be concerns based on past experiences in this league. But someone was enentually going to have a go with the sort of money on offer for progression in Europe and LoI is a fast track of sorts. It helps that there is growth potential especially with the tendancy for people to bandwagon with success.
We have always broken new ground as a club, broken the old mould, so why not again. We are in a position to be content with what we have, European qualification each year if we do business right, but to really progress as a club (and league) a chance has to be taken. The current owners are bound to have taken doomsday scenarios in to consideration (?) and tbh that we are on the radar for investors at all is indicative of how our stock has risen in not even a decade on from being tortured by 1st Division football. Being a guinea pig project is a bit uncomfortable for sure but should we pass it up just in case? No way for me - its not a situation where we are on our knees and totally desperate for the next months ESB bill and not care about the quality or intentions of investment, just as long as a few bills get paid. The owners surely have enough financial wriggle room to do due diligence and safeguard the clubs future in ways that clubs werent in a position to do in the past!?

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Where is the evidence that Louth co co or the Fai have no interest in providing facilities?

As for regular europa league attenders? Come on lads we laughed at shels bohs and drogheda when they had the pipe dream 10 years ago. People seem to forget there was a time against FH in the 1st half of the 2nd leg that we were down and out. A terrific 2nd half performance but was a real backs to the wall stuff in the end to go through

Against Bate in the 1st leg we should of beem hammered but weren't.

The point I am probably poorly trying to make is that to get to the El stage alot of favourable uncontrollable factors took place in that Qr2 we got the weakest seeded side. In qr3 we got a team who beat us the previous year and.all the lads said it was the game in 2015 that they would replay if possible.

I have worked with and for these types of companies and they are ruthless in their pursuit of profits and suck the company dry if cash. They may be willing to invest but only if it's return is almost instantaneous.

All they care about is the investors in this paticular portfolio and if it's not performing they will not think twice about dropping it and there would probably be enough protection in the contract to allow them to walk free and us owing a fortune
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Return to “General Discussion”