Strategic plan

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Strategic plan

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:43 am

I hope it doesn't go anywhere, the lure of big bucks would turn anyone's head. Anyone that comes in would make all kinds of promises about the ground and academies and whatnot. But let's be realistic - the only reason anyone would get involved is because they see easy return on investment if the club could regularly make the Europa League group stages at least. And the way these things work the 'investment' would actually be an instant massive debt hung around the neck of the club where European progress becomes a requirement just to survive. Financial engineering. If anything went wrong we would be utterly fúcked. No thanks.

There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:31 am

Not sure if I agree with you there but you have valid points. BATE still doing ok after their "disaster" against us. Players weren't being paid or fed after that match. But they're playing in the emirates in a couple of weeks so alls not lost with huge investment. Local or international. As the saying goes, it takes money to make money. We have none and of we want to be like borisov, Rosenberg, molde, Maribor, or qarabag, then we need cash. And it ain't like any rich Irish person will bother investing in Irish clubs. Peterborough, Doncaster and Sunderland for those boys.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:50 am

Well the first thing the Club has gotta do , is demolish Oriel , and build a new stadium .

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:57 am

Could these investors possibly have enough money to fix the puddle on the way to the shed? 80 euros worth of gravel? That's like 90 bucks. Fingers crossed!

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:02 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Could these investors possibly have enough money to fix the puddle on the way to the shed? 80 euros worth of gravel? That's like 90 bucks. Fingers crossed!

Fix that puddle and softer jacks roll and I'll fully back their investment
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Particularly with American money, I'd be more worried about ending up like Sunderland or Villa although obviously our current competition is nothing like those clubs crumbled in front of.

Just remember, regardless of anything else, any outside purchase of Dundalk FC will be because a profit opportunity is sniffed. Any purchase of Dundalk FC will be a leveraged buyout - borrowed money where the club itself is the collateral. Any money invested will be the bare minimum to maximise returns. That includes on Oriel. If we grow as a club, dominate the domestic scene and do well in Europe then wow!

But if it doesn't work out it won't be the new owners who have to settle the debts, it will be the club.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Strategic plan

Postby Sneachta » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Louth4sam wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:Could these investors possibly have enough money to fix the puddle on the way to the shed? 80 euros worth of gravel? That's like 90 bucks. Fingers crossed!

Fix that puddle and softer jacks roll and I'll fully back their investment
There's bog roll in the Jacks???? News to me! Sure if that's the case no investment needed

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:28 pm

El Paso wrote:Particularly with American money, I'd be more worried about ending up like Sunderland or Villa although obviously our current competition is nothing like those clubs crumbled in front of.

Just remember, regardless of anything else, any outside purchase of Dundalk FC will be because a profit opportunity is sniffed. Any purchase of Dundalk FC will be a leveraged buyout - borrowed money where the club itself is the collateral. Any money invested will be the bare minimum to maximise returns. That includes on Oriel. If we grow as a club, dominate the domestic scene and do well in Europe then wow!

But if it doesn't work out it won't be the new owners who have to settle the debts, it will be the club.

I can't see anyone giving a loan to a football club where the only collateral is bricks and mortar on land which they don't own(Casey family lease). The ideal way is two separate entities, one owns the stadium, the second runs the club and pays rent. If the owners decide to move on they can still rent the stadium to the new owners. No point in the club spending €6 or €8 million on a stadium that nobody can afford to buy off you. It's not that long ago the current owners were prepared to invest money to take over the club, but not interested in buying the YDC (and lease).
Last edited by oldfogey on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:54 pm

You would think the club would make some staement about an announcement regarding pathetic Oriel Park.
Supporters are on all fours after that Cup Final. Shep signs for Cork. If we did qualify for Champions League , we would be of to Talla again.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Martin Connolly was interviewed and explained it. If you don't understand how slow the planning process is in Ireland you haven't been paying attention. They *should* make the required cosmetic improvements, but you can see why they wouldn't sink much cash into something temporary...

The loan wouldn't be to the football club. It'd be a leveraged buyout - instead of using their own cash they borrow money against the value of the asset being bought and their other assets. Think of it a bit like the way landlords would borrow money to buy a house during the boom, then used that house as collateral for the next house, and the next house for the next house and so on. But then, for good measure, the loan won't be taken out by the parent company, but by a new company. That company will own Dundalk and will owe the money to the parent company - the investors. If Dundalk turn a profit it pays dividends to the parent company. If it goes bust the parent company is pretty much unaffected.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Right now , would be a good time to further inform supporters what the plans are. It's so long ago since we heard anything . I don't like your tone , El Paso.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:32 pm

OK?

Here's the interview from two weeks ago if you missed it:
https://dundalksport.ie/dfc-connolly-sa ... f015c117df

Don't know what more you can expect at this stage?

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:25 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:Right now , would be a good time to further inform supporters what the plans are. It's so long ago since we heard anything . I don't like your tone , El Paso.

No now would be a good time to concentrate on players contracts for next season

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:54 pm

El Paso wrote:Martin Connolly was interviewed and explained it. If you don't understand how slow the planning process is in Ireland you haven't been paying attention. They *should* make the required cosmetic improvements, but you can see why they wouldn't sink much cash into something temporary...

The loan wouldn't be to the football club. It'd be a leveraged buyout - instead of using their own cash they borrow money against the value of the asset being bought and their other assets. Think of it a bit like the way landlords would borrow money to buy a house during the boom, then used that house as collateral for the next house, and the next house for the next house and so on. But then, for good measure, the loan won't be taken out by the parent company, but by a new company. That company will own Dundalk and will owe the money to the parent company - the investors. If Dundalk turn a profit it pays dividends to the parent company. If it goes bust the parent company is pretty much unaffected.

I understand the concept but it only applies where (a) they are paying for an asset (b) the asset has some value. The stadium has a nominal value of €1, even the YDC is a low percentage of what it cost to build it. The only asset would be cash in the bank, so you use the clubs own cash for the buyout. What do you think the club is worth, excluding cash?

The only reason for a loan would be to build a new stadium. Unless a new owner did an Arkaga an borrowed money from its own group during the season, hid it from the FAI, and then said they weren't prepared to honour the guarantees. Under licencing rules you cannot borrow money for operational costs.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Strategic plan

Postby Sneachta » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:16 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:Right now , would be a good time to further inform supporters what the plans are. It's so long ago since we heard anything . I don't like your tone , El Paso.
I think el paso is just making it clear in what could happen. Doesn't sound like he's getting his knickers in a twist. We are all nervous, like at the end of the Europa league last year. We are in unchartered territory.

Look, the owners CAN'T say stuff willy nilly just cos you want some news. If they had news, you'd be givin out they shouldn't have said anything or why didn't they do this instead. Everything in here is 90% conjecture and gossip and personal opinion.

It should be treated that way and not a personal jibe. It makes sense what el paso is saying.... Unfortunately.... And that's how large businesses make MORE money....banks included. It can work. Look at NFL and MLS franchises. But can back fire spectacularly... Leeds united point and case.

Return to “General Discussion”