Strategic plan

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

The Heathen
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Strategic plan

Postby The Heathen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:13 am

Dundalk10 wrote:Heard tonight from someone I wouldn't doubt that the deal is 100% done.

Heard that too. Defo a done deal. And Sheppard is signing from Cork. :-)

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:21 am

Johnnybegood33 wrote:Nobody had seen or heard of any plans, and yet you have
negativity . No wonder we haven't a pot to piss in with that kind of thinking.

Would you prefer that no opinions were expressed? Or would you only prefer positive ones?

The Arkaga history well informs healthy scepticism.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:45 am

You took that up wrong , I'm very positive about this.

londonlilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby londonlilywhite » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:47 pm

Apparently this boy is worth $2.6 billion so definitely not arkaga territory.
I miss Kilkenny City

londonlilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby londonlilywhite » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:01 pm

If you look at American Irish interest in football and then the crossover with champions league and Europa league football it’s not a huge leap to see where this guy thinks he can make money. Branding us as an Irish team in European competition that he can market in the states is perhaps a clever ploy. Spanish teams have been doing it for years there. This guy, Matt Hulsizer, is no mug and if he thinks it’s a runner and the deal goes through, I’d be more likely to say hang on to your hats because there will be massive movement in how the club is run, expectations, and the level of player being signed by Dundalk.
I miss Kilkenny City

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:34 pm

londonlilywhite wrote:Apparently this boy is worth $2.6 billion so definitely not arkaga territory.

I mean no disrespect to you but that is either extremely naive or simply disingenuous.

It was not lack of resources that caused Arkaga to withdraw their funding, but a realisation that their were not likely yo get a return on their investment.

If the Peak6 buyout happens, it may turn out to be the best thing to ever happen to the club, or it may ultimately be enormously damaging.

A healthy scepticism is useful about this possibility
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby el-pietro » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
londonlilywhite wrote:Apparently this boy is worth $2.6 billion so definitely not arkaga territory.

I mean no disrespect to you but that is either extremely naive or simply disingenuous.

It was not lack of resources that caused Arkaga to withdraw their funding, but a realisation that their were not likely yo get a return on their investment.

If the Peak6 buyout happens, it may turn out to be the best thing to ever happen to the club, or it may ultimately be enormously damaging.

A healthy scepticism is useful about this possibility

Arkaga had huge money - though the 2008 downturn was the catalyst for them to pull out. They managed us horribly, put someone in charge who had no clue what he was doing, who compared the players to Greyhounds, and gave George O'Callaghan more money than he asked for.
George: "I'll play for 2k a week".
"No, you'll play for 3k".

They left us will massive debt and the examiner handed us over to Tom Coughlan. If it weren't for the fact that we had a group who were putting a trust in place for some time before Arkaga then we would have no club today.

I genuinely hope for your sake this crowd are legit. Theres no reason to assume they will be another Arkaga but you shouldn't go in blind. I would hope that you hav a healthy trust in place, or ready to go. If you don't have one then you should look at having one started as a safety net. I'm sure FORAS would be more than happy to help in anyway we can. Our clubs may be rivals but no one wants to see any LOI club go out of business.

londonlilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby londonlilywhite » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:52 pm

No disrespect taken and I agree it seems both, but the comment should be taken in conjunction with the follow up. My meaning being that if this guy wants to turn a profit he wouldn’t be sniffing around Dundalk in the first place. Arkaga were and are small fry compared to Matt Hulsizer. Whereby Arkaga actually would have thought that turning a profit quite quickly in loi is possible, he has the resources and the experience in sports investment to know otherwise. It’s probably more a prestige thing for him, looking at his other investments and his attempted takeovers of other clubs in various sports. There is a possibility of turning a a profit eventually but it is a long game scenario and this guy has the pockets to play that game where as Arkaga could not fund a loss making Cork City.
I miss Kilkenny City

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:54 pm

The Heathen wrote:
Dundalk10 wrote:Heard tonight from someone I wouldn't doubt that the deal is 100% done.

Heard that too. Defo a done deal. And Sheppard is signing from Cork. :-)

Also spoke to a first team player in last 48 hours. Deal is done.
How much would it cost an investor to get a PL club outside top 6 into CL groups or even a Championship club? Tens or even €100million?
Given how close we got last year, if we got into CL return on investment would be massive by comparison.
That's the thinking behind this.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Do enlighten us to the said player, is he one who was in big demand and at risk of leaving?

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 pm

I suspect a huge amount of Chinese whispers going on here. IF the owners were in discussions with potential investors I would imagine they would want to keep all of this under wraps until it's done and dusted. The squad would be the last people to be made aware of what is happening as it becomes public knowledge very quickly after that. I have no doubt there has been interest and there may well be a "Heads of Agreement", but nothing would be finalised until after due diligence has been completed. (something which may have been missing 5 years ago)

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 pm

mike wrote:Do enlighten us to the said player, is he one who was in big demand and at risk of leaving?

Can't do that! In my jobs I have occasional dealings with DFC staff and others that know a lot more about what's going on than I ever will.
Most of what I've heard lately is on the positive side.
Kenny's comments this evening seem very positive for next year too.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:53 pm

Difference between now and Arkaga is that it even then their plans sounded bonkers. Cork, Drogheda, Shels and Bohs were all flying too close to the sun.

But European money is greatly increased since then and we're seeded in the Europa League. We're already in a position where we could reasonably presume to achieve European qualification every year on a fraction of the budget of a UK club. We cleared 3.5 million in profit for one trip to the Europa League group stage.

No investment is a sure thing but the attraction is obvious.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Reading back on the Arkaga debacle this line in particular caught my eye

The FAI will argue that they will not discourage investment in any League of Ireland club, and plenty of people in Cork viewed Arkaga as a welcome arrival with financial clout.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 69325.html

If we have no idea about the details of any possible deal or the plans and intentions of the US group, it is inevitable that posters will speculate and possibly make incorrect assumptions as a result.

In my opinion, it would be foolish to automatically assume that any deal is a good deal, or in the long term interests of the club and it's supporters

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Onwards & upwards , we all know how near Dundalk were to Group stages in Champions League. Then we would be playing Barcelona in Croke Park. How many million. It's a
licence to print money. Some very smart guys in Peake 6.

Return to “General Discussion”