Strategic plan

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

The Heathen
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Strategic plan

Postby The Heathen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm

mike wrote:http://www.footballgroundguide.com/images/image/product/property/portadown-shamrock-park-met-stand-1464954531.jpg

I passed this ground a few months ago and it was open so I popped in. Portadown FC, this is their main stand, they have a similar but smaller one behind one of the goals, both are new builds.

No idea about the cost, but imagine something like this over time on the shed side or behind the town goal on Oriel.

"A £1.8-million 1,840-seater stand was built at the unreserved end of the ground, replacing the "shed" and opened in late 2008. It was named "The MET Steel Stand" after Portadown's long-serving sponsors."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_Park

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:04 pm

£1.8 M (just over 2m euro) and that was almost 10 years ago also, I wonder what level of grants/sponsorship Portadown got towards building that?

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:16 pm

If anything costs would have fallen over the last 10 years until the next building boom of course. Its also a sterling figure which may not make that much difference over the next while either.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Fleetwood FC stand is about same capacity and looks a lot more appealing. Has facilities for corporate/dining/bar etc.

Sterling would be cheaper I think dell. Image

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:05 pm

I like the look of that stand at Fleetwood. This is a club that started from the very bottom, they have a very wealthy owner now, which obviously helps, but it's a fantastic stand.

Fleetwood its actually a smaller town than Dundalk, I've been a few times, around 25k, it would be a nice template of a stadium to model improvements on.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:05 pm

Can I suggest that people take a look at the site on Google Maps? There is actually very little depth behind the Town goals or along the shed. When you factor in that access to the shed is along the back of those goals, and along the shed itself, there really is very little room to increase capacity. Behind the Carrick goals is still the only access to the YDC. Under normal circumstances you would realign the pitch within the newly developed ground. In our case however, we have to build around the pitch.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Never has there been access up in to a stand from below ground level? The site can be maximised.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:44 am

There is a fair bit of space if you knock the shed down, you could go as high as 15 seats up with a good angle and a new stand could easily be erected there, and to run the whole length of the pitch using the YDC as the background and also using that structure for the corporate facilities etc, they are already planning to use that for medical, video etc rooms.

Also good bit of space behind the town goal, and a temp stand was erected (twice) behind the carrick road goal, so there is always going to be space, exits and car parking space will be more of a challenge as you can only enter the ground from one side.

That was also a big problem for Tolka in the end, safety, having entrances/exits all on one side.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 am

My above comment was a post match cranky moment I think. But any structures built behind the town goal or shed side just need to be functional - covered seats with toilet access, even if that is at each end of the stand rather than underneath. So there is plenty of scope in that regard to have significant covered seating in modern structures. Any future redevelopment of the stand side can have all the whistles and bells like corporate facilities on not much different a footprint of the existing facilities from corner flag to corner flag.

There could be some way to utilise the YDC by installing corporate areas in to the side of that building above any new stand there but id reckon that could be quite an expensive revision of the YDC facade - i coud be wrong and it could be a functional use of what would be wasted space inside, Not knowing the layout of additional rooms inthe YDC, maybe these were installed with the possibility of making them 2 storey inside and providing a viewing area of Oriel Park (bigger version of the smoking area that overlooks Hiney Park but nicer).

Its all conjecture and foundless speculation with a big dose of wishful thinking but in the way the club has been run with a vision of sucess on the pitch, I see no reason why the club wouldnt also be thinking beyond piecemeal bits added to Oriel rather than a job that is worthy of the onfield efforts of the club.
It would likely take a good number of years to get all potential works completed but as part of an overall development plan we can hope to see improvements/developments happen almost annually in close seasons from 2018 at the latest hopefully. A properly 'phased' development and not the usual code that the term phased is in Ireland is ie if we get the funding so possible maybe nothing ater phase 1 at all.

In the meant time I can see no reason why adding filling at the end of the Shed/Town goal corner to fill in the large puddle where the soil has eroded away from the edge of the concrete path and along the length of that path. Apart from being a nuisance someone is going to take a tumble there.
Rusty old barbed wire at the end of the Stand/entarnce to the away section and around the top of the Lilywhite Lounge and a few other spots in the ground should be removed, hoarding at the back to the away section terrace to block off both access to and the view in to the derelict turnstiles shoud be erected. If those turnstiles are never to be used as anything again then remove them and board or brick them up at minimal cost to slightly improve the look until a proper development happens. Possibly a little nostalgic but those antiquated turnstiles shouldnt be chucked as they could be incorporated in to a little club museum in due course - feck it they could have been part of the exhibition in the County Museum where the exhibition is entered through an old clicking and clacking turnstile from Oriel Park itself to add to the nostalgia.

Im sure there are many little bits here and there around Oriel that would help the old place look improved in the short term and may seem a bit nit picky as in all honesty from the days of GM there has been so many basic, expensive but necessary things done that helped a great deal like the resurfacing of the concourse entering Oriel. It was even highlighted in the recent IBAL survey as one of the best kept areas of the town. But the few little extra bits like 'the puddle' would at least look like minor bugbears for fans are considered when there is a simple fix. A volume button on the PA in the shed at when music comes on would be great :p

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:21 am

The entrance and exits of the ground last night were a joke, puddles and muck everywhere.

One thing I did notice last night that I never noticed before was, on the wall behind the goals at the town end there was a national lottery sign on it reading that this project was funded with lottery money, did anybody else see it or have I just not noticed it before? And does anyone know what the project was/is?

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Shoco wrote:The entrance and exits of the ground last night were a joke, puddles and muck everywhere.

One thing I did notice last night that I never noticed before was, on the wall behind the goals at the town end there was a national lottery sign on it reading that this project was funded with lottery money, did anybody else see it or have I just not noticed it before? And does anyone know what the project was/is?

Brought someone to their first match last night and it was embarrassing. Having to walk through muck and puddles to go to a top level football game?? Forget about the new bar and away section and sort the basics out first
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:30 pm

I just googled images Fleetwood Town stadium and that is the perfect blueprint for what we should be looking for. An impressive main stand, a decent shed side and covered terraces behind both goals, put the away end in one of those. Hopefully now that the close season is approaching, we might see some movement on the stadium.
King Kenny!

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 pm

Louth4sam wrote:
Shoco wrote:The entrance and exits of the ground last night were a joke, puddles and muck everywhere.

Brought someone to their first match last night and it was embarrassing. Having to walk through muck and puddles to go to a top level football game?? Forget about the new bar and away section and sort the basics out first

Should be absolutely no excuse for this kind of thing, fully agree, basics should have been addressed long ago. A fair old list of items are adhered to for a european match in the summer, little things like the corner where the sing li van is a yearly problem, it rains, mud, then water, its completely unacceptable, and honestly there is so much stuff that could be sorted out with even a weekend clean up with builders if a plan was to be followed.

Concrete that corner, better lighting in that area, better sound system, more portable loos in the shed side, banning people using the stand entrance to the enda mcg bar as a smoking area, better stewarding, and a general deep clean in almost all areas wouldn't be a bad idea also.

grayzer75
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby grayzer75 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Salford City building a tidy 5,000 seater for £5m

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... id-9791889

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:47 pm

I noticed something interesting last night walking up to oriel pre match. The lane way behind the town goal seemed to have been fully cleared from all the bushes and rubble and it looked like machinery had been driven on the surface area.

This could be totally unconnected to anything related to ground improvements but it could also be the first phase of a construction. It could also be pre work for something separate to oriel but there may be something in this.

Return to “General Discussion”