Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby Townfan7 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:28 pm

A draw was just about the right result despite a brilliant first half performance. Mountney, great to see him back to his best. In fact it's hard to pick a Dundalk player who didn't play well. The goal conceded was the only blot on an otherwise excellent night for Dundalk Football Club on & off the pitch.

It's only half time & Dundalk will have no fear taking the field in Trondheim, let's give it a right go & qualify for the next round, the draw for which takes place tomorrow I believe. Can't wait to make the trip over to Norway now, really looking forward to it.

Finally, Oriel looked magnificent last night, full credit to all concerned, it was a great atmosphere & the support was terrific.

C'MON THE TOWN:

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby oldfogey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:44 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote:
Sneachta wrote:PC brigade? Wah...I...I can't even begin to fathom your ignorance.

As they are kids, perhaps they should be coached/trained on how to be ball girls/boys instead of a sweeping statement because they're girls. That issue lies with those responsible for organising the kids in oriel, not the actual kids. Much like our security personnel who can't keep control over the behaviour of supporters in the shed, who I find to be a more pressing issue. Good to see outside security last night.

I won't agree to disagree with you because your comments are completely unpalatable.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

In your opinion - which you are entitled to.

And I'm not sexist - I love women and lots of them please!

I'm also a keen fan of the women's game and regularly attend matches in the WNL where I've watched some cracking games and you will find some great athletes full of skill, technical ability, commitment and endeavour.

http://wnl.fai.ie/

All I'm saying is that particular group are clueless, there's not much coaching involved in knowing that the players want the ball back ASAP. I didn't notice the outside security and yes off the pitch it is indeed a more pressing issue.

If you know that much about the women's game can you tell me how the club has ended up with ballgirls? I'm related to someone involved last night and - with exception of the Sean Gannon incident - I thought they did very well. I actually thought they stretched the "fair play" rule to the limit at times over the last 4 years. They also turn up in all conditions when fair weather fans couldnt be bothered. Don't believe all the interaction you see on the pitch either. There's more to it than you realise.

I would ask you to kindly keep from condescending insults towards half the world's population but this would - no doubt - be met with some kind of banal retort.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:01 pm

Oldfogey...I'm assuming that's not directed at me?!?

Agree with atmosphere in first and second half as mentioned above. I watched the game back in full on the player, and live TV just didn't do justice to how well we played in the first half. Bar the goal, George Hamilton did a great job at sucking the life out of it.

Overall the team were composed, patient and simply up for the game last night. A master plan by Kenny to get us peak for Europe. Another notch up needed next week. Its great to feel such confidence in important games.

How do our new Norwegian bretheran feel about last night? Were ye happy with your team/management/performance? How do ye see the second leg going?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Micmac
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Micmac » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:24 pm

First of all, well done by both teams and all staff personel involved. In away games in european competitions i'm always nervous and excited at the same time, last night too and after the opening 20 minutes i felt really bad. It looked like a junior team vs a senior team, and i was pissed. I was also pissed at the coach for playing 4 players out of position and benching two players i wanted from start.

The rest of the game went better, i thought we kept calm on the ball and controlled the game, but without creating many chances and finding bendtner with crosses, that was dissapointing. Dundalk looked scared to concede a second in the second half and thats why we had possesion, Dundalk were trying counters and set pieces which they never really succeded with except for a good header over the bar.

Midtsjø, the Rosenborg player who usually play in midfield kept loosing the ball dangerously, because he played on the flank.

I'm a cautious optimistic before the return leg here in Norway. I believe the players are up for it this year and i do feel it's our turn to enter one of the two competitions, either UCL or EL. But i am sure Dundalk would like to cast a spell on some big clubs for a second year in a row so i am really looking forward to a great battle next week.

Shalalalalalala oooh Rosenboooorg!!!!!!!!!!

Kjello
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kjello » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Sneachta wrote:How do our new Norwegian bretheran feel about last night? Were ye happy with your team/management/performance? How do ye see the second leg going?

Happy? Of course not. We're never happy when Rosenborg don't win. And we're not happy when Rosenborg don't play good. Surprised? Sadly, no. We've been shockingly weak for most of this season. And it don't looks like it's changing.

My view on the match.

You went out to shock us. And managed to do so. But I'm not surprised. It's been more a trademark the last year that Rosenborg doesn't "show up" from the start of the match. Way to often we've needed 15-20 minutes to get into the match. Letting opponents control the match, and come to chances.

You got a deserved lead. Though it's unforgivable to let a striker go in behind you like that. As well as letting the winger make that pass in the first place.
Towards the end of the first half, you actually looked a bit tired. And Rosenborg took over the game a little. We should have equalized with Helland in the 30th minute. Where as you should have doubled your lead just minutes later. Though you had pressure. 1-1 at half time was okay. Though I probably would have argued for 2-1 if I were a Dundalk fan.

As you looked a bit tired, I expected Rosenborg to dominate a bit more in the second half.
Sadly we got the cowardly Rosenborg on the field, instead of the attacking Rosenborg. Rosenborg has always been best when attacking. We've always lived by the philosophy "Attack is the best defence". Sadly, our coach has become very defensive in his mind after the losses to APOEL and Austria Vienna last year. He now always talk about being cynical. Not taking any risks in offence. A style that simply don't fit Rosenborg. Instead of actually being cynical, Rosenborg instead becomes afraid and cowards. In the match against Kristiansund where we went from leading 2-0 to saving a 3-3 in injury time, we were supposed to play cynically in the second half. Ended up with conceding three goals instead. So much for being cynical. It simply doesn't go with Rosenborg to be defensive.

Rosenborg controlled the match the first 15 minutes of the second half. And at that point I actually thought we're going to take home the victory in the end. But instead of stepping up, continue to control the match, and pressure you. We instead ended up being defensive and looking to safe home a 1-1.
Actually, I'm more unhappy with the last 30 minutes, than the first 30 minutes of the match.

My expectations for the return leg.
Will we advance to the next round? Yes I think so.
At home we'll dominate the match more. The Lerkendal crowd won't accept a defensive playing style like the one in the second half. Even when leading 5-0, you'll hear booing from the crowd if the ball is played backwards instead of forwards. And being attack-minded, suits Rosenborg so much better.

My initial match tip was 1-1 in the first leg, and 3-0 in the second leg. But thinking about it, we've only held one clean sheet in last 11 matches. So I think a 3-1 is more likely. On the other hand, a clean sheet is bound to happen again some time soon.

Some might find it strange. But I rather see 1-1 at half time next week, than 0-0. I fear that in case of 0-0 at half time. Rosenborg will become defensive again, and try to secure the result. With 1-1, Rosenborg will have to come out and attack in the second half.

Micmac
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Micmac » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Why do you believe Rosenborg will win 3-1 against europa league opposition, when they play as bad as you say?

vegard
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby vegard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:28 am

But...but he does explain why!

vegard
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby vegard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:00 am

Rosenborg head coach Kåre Ingebrigtsen's reaction:

– We didn't handle the opening that we knew would come. We experienced the exact same thing against Sligo Rovers three years ago. Then I sat on the bench thinking we were playing Real Madrid. The atmosphere in the stands was so intense that you can't hear yourself think. The Irish go insane for throw-ins and everything. It was like that this time too, and we just have to admit that we got stressed and fazed by it. We couldn't communicate with each other, and that made us a bit "one and one" [as opposed to a team] in the beginning. It wasn't lack of will, but we didn't think together, he says.

"Bruttern" is pleased with the last hour of the match, and claims he was never afraid that the team would collapse the way they have done on several occasions in the league this season when they have conceded goals.

– In the league it's about winning all the matches, and after conceding goals we have become stressed. Here we didn't need to win, we needed to bring a good result home. Therefore I felt safe that we would handle it, he says.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:31 am

Sneachta wrote:Oldfogey...I'm assuming that's not directed at me?!?

Absolutely not chief.

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:37 am

oldfogey wrote:
If you know that much about the women's game can you tell me how the club has ended up with ballgirls? I'm related to someone involved last night and - with exception of the Sean Gannon incident - I thought they did very well. I actually thought they stretched the "fair play" rule to the limit at times over the last 4 years. They also turn up in all conditions when fair weather fans couldnt be bothered. Don't believe all the interaction you see on the pitch either. There's more to it than you realise.

I would ask you to kindly keep from condescending insults towards half the world's population but this would - no doubt - be met with some kind of banal retort.

1st of all I said i'm interested in the womens game, I've not said I know so much about it.... Why the club has ballgirls is a club matter - you'd have to ask them? I'm merely a fan.

You're related to one of the girls, fair play - that's great.

2ndly these "condescending insults" are not directed at half the worlds population - just the clueless few that I've mentioned - I'd have said the same if it was a bunch of lads up there every week but it's not. It should be rotated anyway to allow kids from all clubs across the area to participate but sure you'd probably have a problem with that too as then your relative might not get her spot every week.

You've said it all with your "with the exception of the Sean Gannon incident" - There shouldn't be any exceptions. It's not rocket science.

I don't know what you're trying to waffle here "Don't believe all the interaction you see on the pitch either. There's more to it than you realise." but good day to you sir!

I hope this retort was banal enough for you.

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:46 am

Wexford White wrote:
White Horse wrote:I'm very happy with that performance. McEleney and Benson were class in midfield and Shields kept everything simple.

All to play for in Norway next week.

And following on from that, who was MOTM?
Mountney for me!

McEleaney got it from RTE - was hard to pick. I'd agree he was excellent along with Mountney and McMillan. Tough decision really as can't really think of a player who didn't play well.

Micmac
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Micmac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:09 pm

vegard wrote:But...but he does explain why!

What did he say? Yeah

Micmac
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Micmac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Why does the Dundalk homepage say it was an own goal by Gartland? All other official media, uefa.com for instance have Reginiussen as the goalscorer, which is correct looking at replays. Strange

Micmac
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Micmac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Why does the Dundalk homepage say it was an own goal by Gartland? All other official media, uefa.com for instance have Reginiussen as the goalscorer, which is correct looking at replays. Strange

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:02 pm

Because it was an own goal by gartland. Look at the replay. He kicks it not Reginiussen.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Return to “General Discussion”