Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby Townfan7 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Firstly, a big shout out to the Rosenborg lads who put up interesting & informative posts of late, I've enjoyed reading them all & thanks for taking the time to join in the chat. I'm already looking forward to visiting Norway next week & hopefully the game will still be alive from a Dundalk point of view.

Finally, I wish Stephen Kenny & all the Dundalk team the very best of luck for tonight, GO FOR IT lads. 2-1 to Dundalk....

C'MON THE TOWN:

Jim Smith
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby Jim Smith » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Great first half,strange second half.The goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of the team and the ground.Looked streets ahead of them first half and
Should have been 2/3 up at half time.Bad goal to give away but this is a carbon copy of FH last year all over again.Nothing to fear going into second leg.Thought mountney and shields excellent throughout

vegard
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby vegard » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 pm

A good effort from the Dundalk players tonight. Here's hoping Rosenborg have some better football in them for the match at Lerkendal.

Bogger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bogger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:39 pm

Great performance...
But very disappointed with Duffy, didn't want the ball at all.. we have a great chance still.. Rosenborg won't be much better next week!

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:49 pm

I'm very happy with that performance. McEleney and Benson were class in midfield and Shields kept everything simple.

All to play for in Norway next week.

The Ger
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Ger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:52 pm

?
I thought Duffy did well, wouldn't have taken him off actually. Especially considering Mountney was then switched to the left.
Looked a soft goal to concede, but other than that I thought we were on top. Came away feeling disappointed, but on reflection I think we have every chance against them next week. Chris Shields was excellent. He obviously loves a European challenge!

Bogger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bogger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:03 pm

The problem with Duffy he doesn't want it enough..bit yellow.. no drive in him to get the ball beat a man like the rest of the team.. everyone gave 120% Duffy gave 60%

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Plenty to be positive about and I expect us to score at least 1 in Norway. Soft goal to concede but we have done that many times in Europe.
Nothing to fear. We were much the better side in the first half. Rosenborg were the better team for most of the second half, but they were content with 1-1 after 70 mins and camped in. Don't think Rogers made any saves in the second half?

Gannon, Benson McEleney, Mountney all excellent . Shields did fine other than those terrible cross field passes that go straight out of play.

Hopefully Vemmulund recovers quickly.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby Sneachta » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:12 am

Don't think Rogers made any saves in the second half?

Yes one at the near post near the end when Massey should've cleared. Heart in the mouth job. He was excellent tonight and proved why he was back up (and not McNulty as Caulfield is now crying about) to the Irish squad.

An excellent all round performance. Harsh on Duffy. I thought it was his best performance for us since he arrived but yes he is still shying away. I reckon he is low on confidence after his Celtic journey. He's got talent.

Typical European snobbery by rosenborg. Never took us seriously. They thought we'd die away in the second half, judging by their rattiness and mouthiness with fourth officials and our players 20 minutes from the end. Apologies if I offend our new Norwegian board members.

We can finish this job over there. Keep it tight for as long as possible, be patient! It'll come.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 am

The ref also must've left his notebook and cards at home. Mad.

Interesting to see a number of Rosenborg guys gassing out at the end. We looked fitter!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:12 am

I think Rosenborg did the opposite of disrespecting us Sneachta as they stood off us until they settled for 1-1 and started some keep ball. They are no BATE inthe arrogance stakes. CL draw and the away fixture to go with other Irish sides with 4 wins and games tomorrow - this isnt a false dawn after our breakthrough in Europe last season. Even if the away leg doesnt go our way 2018 is already having the groundwork being done. Connolly does need to stay on his feet rather than expecting a free every time he is nudged! Criticism of Duffy should be limited as he is new at the club, young and rebuilding his career and was decent tonight with limited European experience.

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk Wolf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:18 am

Very good performance tonight. Brilliant first half an hour - best I've seen us play this season. We looked up for it, played with the perfect combination of intensity and composure and fully deserved our lead. We looked like a side with lots of European experience, which was very pleasing.

Felt there was a clear foul on McEleney in the build-up to Gannon conceding the free, which was soft itself. But it's still such a soft goal to concede. We have to do better than that - last season's biggest fault in Europe was conceding soft goals and it's come back to haunt us.

However, we also scored in every away game except BATE last year (plus we scored there in 2015) and we have the LOI's all-time European Cup record scorer amongst us (7 CL goals now for Davey Mac) so no reason why we can't go over there and get a result.

I can see a repeat of the FH game. This Rosenborg side are to be respected but not feared. Roll on next Wednesday.

chief77
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby chief77 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:11 am

Bogger wrote:Great performance...
But very disappointed with Duffy, didn't want the ball at all.. we have a great chance still.. Rosenborg won't be much better next week!

Couldn't disagree more. He was literally screaming for the ball for large periods of the opening half. It was unreal the amount of space he had but he just wasn't been utilised enough. He was actually visibly frustrated a couple of times because he wasn't being picked out. Their right back was pretty poor so probably would have paid to use Duffy a bit more.
Rehab is For quitters

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:00 am

Mixed emotions. Fantastically emotional watching the Champions League in Oriel Park, and very proud with how we played and performed on the night- for the most part, but obviously sickened by such a poxy goal to concede.

Thought Mountney was excellent, Gannon and Massey back to their old selves, Rogers was excellent. We were clearly the better team throughout, it's just such a pity we aren't taking a lead to Norway. Still, nothing to fear, we go there knowing we are at least as good as them.

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:37 am

I'd be pretty much echoing everyone else's sentiments so i'll not bother repeating.

Great performance, sickener of a goal to concede at a terrible time when we were on top and possibly should have went in at half time 2-0 up. Still a great chance next week to go through.

Mountney back to his best last night, put a great shift in - he has some engine on him.

On another minor issue - I'm not sexist BUT.....Bring back the ballboys! Lads from each of the schoolboy teams around the town and beyond different weeks who actually know about football and give the ball back to the players quickly when we need to and not so quick when we don't need to. Jesus, some of those young ones out there are absolutely clueless.

Return to “General Discussion”