Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby Sneachta » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:07 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote:
On another minor issue - I'm not sexist BUT.....Bring back the ballboys! Lads from each of the schoolboy teams around the town and beyond different weeks who actually know about football and give the ball back to the players quickly when we need to and not so quick when we don't need to. Jesus, some of those young ones out there are absolutely clueless.

What an incredibly nonsensical ridiculous and yes sexist statement. Jesus Christ, they're kids, how fast do you want them to react? Plenty of boys (and having coached kids at all levels) can be equally as clueless, as you've clearly demonstrated by your comment. Stick to talking about the actual football match.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby Sneachta » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:08 pm

And to add, I hope that one day, when you have a daughter, you won't make such crass statements. Maybe you already have a daughter, which makes your comment all the more offensive.

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby McNultys Discopants » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Sneachta wrote:
McNultys Discopants wrote:
On another minor issue - I'm not sexist BUT.....Bring back the ballboys! Lads from each of the schoolboy teams around the town and beyond different weeks who actually know about football and give the ball back to the players quickly when we need to and not so quick when we don't need to. Jesus, some of those young ones out there are absolutely clueless.

What an incredibly nonsensical ridiculous and yes sexist statement. Jesus Christ, they're kids, how fast do you want them to react? Plenty of boys (and having coached kids at all levels) can be equally as clueless, as you've clearly demonstrated by your comment. Stick to talking about the actual football match.

We'll agree to disagree. I knew as soon as I posted the PC brigade would be out in protest.

I think it's a pretty valid albeit minor point.

I'm not looking for lightning fast reflexes here either - just a grasp of what's going on and throwing the ball back to the player within a few seconds. I've seen players and Gary Rogers is particular being frustrated waiting on them to give the ball back on plenty of occasions.

Having also coached at various levels I agree some lads can be equally clueless - I can only judge from what I can see at present in Oriel Park which is all girls and they're not 6 or 7 year olds either, a lot older. Shouldn't it be rotated anyway? The fact it's always girls doing that job is in fact sexist in itself no?

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby Sneachta » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:49 pm

PC brigade? Wah...I...I can't even begin to fathom your ignorance.

As they are kids, perhaps they should be coached/trained on how to be ball girls/boys instead of a sweeping statement because they're girls. That issue lies with those responsible for organising the kids in oriel, not the actual kids. Much like our security personnel who can't keep control over the behaviour of supporters in the shed, who I find to be a more pressing issue. Good to see outside security last night.

I won't agree to disagree with you because your comments are completely unpalatable.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:33 pm

Overall very happy with the performance, not sure we did enough to win it, and it was disappointing to concede but what a first 25 mins or so, that was just superb.

Mountney had a super game, and showed excellent fitness, his deliveries too were quality from such a high standard match, he can be extremely pleased with his contribution. McMillan is just made for these games and a brilliant finish, pity we didn’t see enough of Connolly, but its hard to hit the ground running, Shields was also very good in that role, tough job taking it off the defender / keeper and starting the play. McEleney was brilliant for the first 30 mins or so, maybe they tracked him better in the second half?

It was also a pity that’s the only euro match in oriel this season regardless of next weeks result. The club will be very busy of course with the matches and the logistics but it would be great to hear of news of ground redevelopment, and if we could hope to play 2 rounds at home in the next few seasons. The away end looked so much better with the partition where it was. Increasing the seating by building / extending new structure is only one part of getting up to the next category stadium.

Anyway on the fans, great atmosphere and real buzz around the place and the town, you could really feel it, thankfully no incidents either with flares / flags.

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Sneachta wrote:PC brigade? Wah...I...I can't even begin to fathom your ignorance.

As they are kids, perhaps they should be coached/trained on how to be ball girls/boys instead of a sweeping statement because they're girls. That issue lies with those responsible for organising the kids in oriel, not the actual kids. Much like our security personnel who can't keep control over the behaviour of supporters in the shed, who I find to be a more pressing issue. Good to see outside security last night.

I won't agree to disagree with you because your comments are completely unpalatable.

In your opinion - which you are entitled to.

And I'm not sexist - I love women and lots of them please!

I'm also a keen fan of the women's game and regularly attend matches in the WNL where I've watched some cracking games and you will find some great athletes full of skill, technical ability, commitment and endeavour.

http://wnl.fai.ie/

All I'm saying is that particular group are clueless, there's not much coaching involved in knowing that the players want the ball back ASAP. I didn't notice the outside security and yes off the pitch it is indeed a more pressing issue.

buster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby buster » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 pm

I think a big shout of thanks to harry for the pitch looked great,and all the Stewards and volunteers that made last night a great success credit where it's due well done guys.

0rl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby 0rl » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:13 pm

mike wrote:
It was also a pity that’s the only euro match in oriel this season regardless of next weeks result. The club will be very busy of course with the matches and the logistics but it would be great to hear of news of ground redevelopment, and if we could hope to play 2 rounds at home in the next few seasons. The away end looked so much better with the partition where it was. Increasing the seating by building / extending new structure is only one part of getting up to the next category stadium.

Hi Mike, there was a bit of an update in the program last night. Not sure if you got your hands on one as they were sold out when i tried to pick one up. Mad I missed it as they are always a good read.

However Gavin @dundalksport tweeted a picture of the article last night and it's just about readable if you squint a bit :-)
https://twitter.com/DundalkSport/status ... 4178920449

In short the guys are saying they have consultants etc looking at a long term picture which would allow EL & CL football at Oriel. But as expected that is a major project and wont be done overnight.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:15 pm

+1 meant to add that to my post, you could see the hard work everyone had put it, even the attention to detail of brushing the pitch after the pre match warm up had brought up a fair bit of black rubber. It looked fantastic for kick off.

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:34 pm

mike wrote:+1 meant to add that to my post, you could see the hard work everyone had put it, even the attention to detail of brushing the pitch after the pre match warm up had brought up a fair bit of black rubber. It looked fantastic for kick off.

Harry and his magic mat!

Yeah pitch looked great.

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:30 pm

buster wrote:I think a big shout of thanks to harry for the pitch looked great,and all the Stewards and volunteers that made last night a great success credit where it's due well done guys.

Amen to that! Fantastic job by all concerned last night on and off the pitch.
The Back of the Wall

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:37 pm

White Horse wrote:I'm very happy with that performance. McEleney and Benson were class in midfield and Shields kept everything simple.

All to play for in Norway next week.

And following on from that, who was MOTM?
Mountney for me!
The Back of the Wall

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Wexford White wrote:
White Horse wrote:I'm very happy with that performance. McEleney and Benson were class in midfield and Shields kept everything simple.

All to play for in Norway next week.

And following on from that, who was MOTM?
Mountney for me!

Several strong contenders. I'd give it to McMillan. All round superb centre forward performance.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Does anyone else think it was an og from Garts? I thought we were outstanding to a man last night. Very soft goal to concede but we were definitely the better and hungrier team on the night. Really felt we needed to go in at ht one up. Their keeper was fortunate saving with his legs from Duffy who first half I thought was excellent. Mountney for me was motm. Had an absolute belting game. Back to his best on last night's performance. Second half the atmosphere was dead in the ground and I think rosenborg kinda settled for 1-1. They knew they were 2nd best on the night and that we were a massive threat going forward and are happy to come away from oriel with the away goal advantage. The pitch looked top notch too. What an atmosphere through out the first half..and we lifted the roof when big dave scored. Isn't it such a pity we don't get sell out and that atmosphere for every home game!! Even if the lads in the shed brought all their tifo flags to every home game. We are still in it.. didn't think rosenborg were any great shakes at all. Bendtner is dire. We don't have to go hell for leather in trondheim next week. Keep it tight and even if they score first don't drop the heads. We know we have to score but their defence is shaky and the keeper was poor. All to play for next week we can do this.. in King Kenny we trust...
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Best performance of the season to date imo though I think the concession of the goal will be costly. For our dominance in the 1st 30 mins we should of been more than 1 up. Maybe it's too critical and I probably said the same after the FH match.
For their goal I thought Rodgers should of gone for it while it was in the air in the 6 yd box. The ref was picky and would probably of awarded a free out.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Return to “General Discussion”