Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby mike » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
11/4 Dundalk
11/5 Draw
10/11 Rosenborg

http://sports.coral.co.uk/football/uefa ... 30626.html

Perhaps that puts our chances on Wednesday into perspective.

Being underdogs is unlikely to affect us - Stephen Kenny has an extraordinary ability to get players to believe in themselves and will draw on the fact that our chances were consistently dismissed in advance of European matches last season

Those odds seem spot on to me, Rosenborg were always going to be fauvorites for this game, it's not beyond us to sneak a win though, but I'd be very happy with a 0-0 draw.

On betting terms, don't forget folks, we were only favourites to win one of the 12 European matches last season, and we still didn't win that game, 1-1 home to FH.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Kjello wrote:
dell wrote:Will it be a full house if the tie is alive for the 2nd leg?

Sadly no. It's vacation time in Norway. And close to 90 % of the working population takes at least three weeks of vacation during July. And since Norwegians spends their vacations either travelling, or at their cabin. The cities tends to be empty of people.

Officially, the spectator number will be somewhere between 13 and 15 000 spectators. However, that's because 11 000 season ticket holders gets a free entrance for this match. And in Norway we're obliged to announce sold tickets rather than actual spectators on the stands. And since only about half of the season ticket holders are likely to show up at the match, the real spectator number will most likely be between 8 and 10 000.

Thanks for all the information and very enjoyable posts Kyello, decent of you to take the time to find us!

A 9k crowd would still be a decent turn out for the second leg.

vegard
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby vegard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Kjello wrote:Officially, the spectator number will be somewhere between 13 and 15 000 spectators. However, that's because 11 000 season ticket holders gets a free entrance for this match. And in Norway we're obliged to announce sold tickets rather than actual spectators on the stands.

I'm quite sure you are wrong about this. Take the first qualifying round in 2015 for instance. The 8 000 season ticket holders had free access to the match against Vikingur, but the official attendance was only about 4 500. Just one of the last four matches with free entry (Norrköping) had more official spectators than the number of season tickets sold the same year.

If the weather is really, really good, we can hope for 10 000 or more to show up. But less than 7 000 is also very possible. Anyway it will look ok on TV at least, since most will be crammed into the stand opposite the TV cameras.
Last edited by vegard on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vegard
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby vegard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm

For some unfathomable reason, people in Trøndelag will rather go and see matches against the same old Strømsgodsets and Aalesunds in the league year after year, instead of European cup matches against exotic opposition where more is at stake. Even teams like Lazio in 2015 only drew 16 000 when the league avg. was over 18 000.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby Sneachta » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:59 pm

vegard wrote:For some unfathomable reason, people in Trøndelag will rather go and see matches against the same old Strømsgodsets and Aalesunds in the league year after year, instead of European cup matches against exotic opposition where more is at stake. Even teams like Lazio in 2015 only drew 16 000 when the league avg. was over 18 000.

Against more exotic opposition???

Why vegard, flattery will get you everywhere.... Dundalk has been known to be one of the most cosmopolitan and exotic locations in Ireland!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:13 am

What’s everyones team for Wed, I would go with the following xi

……………………Rogers………..

Gannon.. Vemmelund..Gartland..Massey

……………… O’Donnell….Benson

Duffy……..….McEleneny………Connolly

………………….McMillan…………

Subs to use 1/ Kilduff (might be very useful for his height on Wed)
2/ McGrath 3/ Shields (if we are 1-0 up or need protecting etc)

I`m not sure if O’Donnell is fit but no word otherwise that he is not.

I would also only think those in bold are nailed on to start, SK could go with other options in the middle and on the wings, but this would be my starting xi.

If he can continue his excellent form, this is a match that might really suit Vemmelund, he was superb last Wed night.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Stephen Kenny :
Hopefully Stephen O’Donnell and Conor Clifford will train this weekend. If that is the case it should make everyone available

http://www.98fm.com/podcasts/Now_Thats_ ... _Qualifier

Micmac
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Micmac » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Rosenborg coach Ingebrigtsen:

"It's a team we think we are better than when we are at our best"

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Micmac wrote:Rosenborg coach Ingebrigtsen:

That's the sort of talk we want to hear.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:15 pm

EUR-REP Robbie Benson believes Dundalk have earned a reputation from last year’s European heroics
The Lilywhites want to ensure their European run last longer than two weeks when they take on Rosenborg

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/12 ... n-heroics/

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Rosenborg | Weds 12 July | 7.45 | Oriel Park | UEFA Champions League

Postby Sneachta » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 pm

mike wrote:What’s everyones team for Wed, I would go with the following xi

……………………Rogers………..

Gannon.. Vemmelund..Gartland..Massey

……………… O’Donnell….Benson

Duffy……..….McEleneny………Connolly

………………….McMillan…………

Subs to use 1/ Kilduff (might be very useful for his height on Wed)
2/ McGrath 3/ Shields (if we are 1-0 up or need protecting etc)

I`m not sure if O’Donnell is fit but no word otherwise that he is not.

I would also only think those in bold are nailed on to start, SK could go with other options in the middle and on the wings, but this would be my starting xi.

If he can continue his excellent form, this is a match that might really suit Vemmelund, he was superb last Wed night.

Yup go with that. As you said unsure with O'Donnell and injuries.

Controversial one here, Chris Shields, his player style seemed to suit Europe last year. He was outstanding against Petersburg, Alkmaar and second leg v borisov. Does Europe suit his barking style of play?

I'd go with O'Donnell first of course but Chris can rattle the rosenborg louts in the middle no doubt

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:48 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Micmac wrote:Rosenborg coach Ingebrigtsen:

That's the sort of talk we want to hear.

I remember when pats dumped Elfsborg of Sweden out a few years back. Their coach said league of Ireland was like playing football 20 years ago (or to that effect). Pats dumped them out comfortably that year.

Roll on Rosenborg!

Return to “General Discussion”