FAI Senior Cup 2017

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: FAI Senior Cup 2017

Postby Johnny Guitar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:51 pm

Lads we cant be a better team if we lose to double winning champions. Let's take our medicine.

Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:06 pm

In football, you don’t always get what you deserve. Today, the better team lost. It happens. We will move on.

Quote from official statement this evening. Needs to be edited. Not very sporting and casts us in a bad light.

Nearly as bad as 'and we won it in Talla'

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby punkha » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:15 pm

Gotta agree with the above that part of the statement reads terrible. Give congratulations to Cork and leave it at that.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:32 pm

Should be a one League , 16 teams. Eventually it will be.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:34 pm

Should be a one League , 16 teams. Eventually it will be.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Official statement is grand. Get on to the Cork players and ask them to apologise , officially.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:Official statement is grand. Get on to the Cork players and ask them to apologise , officially.

We need not worry about what Cork say or do. They can go around trash talking like Conor McGregor for all we care.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:41 am

I’m not overly bothered by that line but at the same time Cork have done all the trash talking, not us, and I’d prefer if it stayed that way.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:23 am

El Paso wrote:Sitting here in silence waiting to go for my bus.

It was in our hands and we handed it to them, Sick. SK doesn’t know how to beat them. We were poor yet they never even tried to play... it seems they know they don’t have to. Fats better than usual against them but sub standard performances everywhere. Heard hundreds screaming at duffy’s short run up. Knew he’d miss as soon as I saw him. I heard someone say Connolly came on.

We threw it away.

I think it's unfair to say Duffy missed. His penalty was on target
The Back of the Wall

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:21 pm

As penalties go it was a perfect height for a keeper to save. Drill it low in the corner and you have a much greater chance of success even if the keeper guesses right. A short run up just makes it even harder to score.
Last edited by oldfogey on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:52 pm

I’m not so sure we deserved to win, we most certainly didn’t deserve to lose though, and that was just sickening to lose it on pens. Once again v Cork we were far far too slow getting started and especially in MF. This improved in the second half with long periods of pocession and we were very good in the first half of extra time. Brilliant goal but we should have pushed on and got a second to kill the game. Massey def played them on for their equaliser, 100% onside.

Penalties is such a tough way to end it, you do need a bit of luck and we didn’t get it. Thought Duffy’s run up wasn’t good but he did get it on target, it lacked any power though so once McNulty dived it was a standard save. Game over.

So looking back on the season. Hard to be over criticial and thinking where we were 5 years ago but that’s a long time ago now. Was it a good season ? We came runners up in the two big trophies and won the 3rd one and qualified for Europe. I’d still say it was a little disappointing.

Kenny is a brilliant manager and we are lucky to have him for 3 more years, winning 4 major trophies and his European record is a magnificent return in 5 years, along with 2 league runners ups.

However like any job in any industry the top guy should not be beyond criticism at times and this season he has been beaten every time tactically by Caulfield, with only one league draw for our efforts.

We need quality recruitment in the winter and an attitude of winners and hard work from every player who joins / remains.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:49 pm

No one has asked the thorny question of why John Mountney came on ahead of Shields. I was sitting in line with our 18 yard box and went looking for Mountney when I saw O' Donnell trying to push out and close them down. He was about a yard in front of the back four.(ok, three but we won't go there)

fastnbulbous
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby fastnbulbous » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Any word on the fireman hit in the face by the flare thrown from the Dundalk end?

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:07 pm

oldfogey wrote:No one has asked the thorny question of why John Mountney came on ahead of Shields. I was sitting in line with our 18 yard box and went looking for Mountney when I saw O' Donnell trying to push out and close them down. He was about a yard in front of the back four.(ok, three but we won't go there)

I wondered that too
The Back of the Wall

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Ok first half brutal 2nd half up til they equalised we were the better team... there seems to be no steel or fight in team. Lovely ball players but no grit or fight in them. Mcgrath was terrible on the day. Fats was ok. Double marked but shooting from distance no good. Needed to bring Shields on but probably Garts going off changed that plan. I would have played mounts from start. He gives extra protection to massey. The decision to hold connolly til late in game was right decision but he didn't do anything when he did come on. Mccormack was very good for them. Shep is average. Mcmillan got no ball and ran out of steam for all his chasing in the end. Maybe those who criticise Gary Rogers will now realise the quality keeper he is. Kept us in the game yesterday. There seemed to be no urgency in out build up play. No tempo. Bottom line is cork won the mf battle yet again yesterday. The Harrie and niggle bully and intimidate our players off the ball.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Return to “General Discussion”