FAI Senior Cup 2017

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: FAI Senior Cup 2017

Postby ArFella » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:28 pm

seand wrote:
oldfogey wrote:
seand wrote:Whatever about Duffy's penalty, which clearly wasn't a great one, surely its the player's own choice how much of a run up he wants?!!

You are supposed to add "(tic)" at the end so those who don't get sarcasm realise you are not serious!

No sarcasm intended, I just don't understand why people are trying to dictate the 'correct' length of run up for a pen. Surely it's the player's choice.

You don't understand Sean, you've never taken a penalty in an FAI cup final like all the experts on here have. (tic) (am I doing it right oldfogey?)

Mon the Town!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Aren't there studies done that show that slow and or short run ups give the highest percentage of misses... sorry, *saves*.

Walking up he looked like a guy who never takes penalties to be honest. I know around me we everyonehad that sinking feeling before he even kicked the ball.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 pm

seand wrote:
oldfogey wrote:
seand wrote:Whatever about Duffy's penalty, which clearly wasn't a great one, surely its the player's own choice how much of a run up he wants?!!

You are supposed to add "(tic)" at the end so those who don't get sarcasm realise you are not serious!

No sarcasm intended, I just don't understand why people are trying to dictate the 'correct' length of run up for a pen. Surely it's the player's choice.

I have the feeling I'm being wound up here, but I'll run with it. These guys are paid to be team players. They are coached to perform their job to the best of their ability. I find it difficult to believe that Stephen Kenny or Vinny Perth would allow a player to use a method which is accepted as less successful. It's a bit like letting a player head the ball with his eyes closed. He might prefer it but it's not the right way.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:27 pm

Back post crosses provide more goals that near post crosses, does that mean players should be coached to only ever go for back post crosses? Would you "find it difficult to believe that Stephen Kenny or Vinny Perth would allow a player to use a method which is accepted as less successful"?

Whether Duffy scored or not is immaterial- he was clearly more comfortable with a short run up.... do people really think Stephen Kenny should be shouting "no, no, no, take three more steps backwards!"

If Duffy's run up was too short can we please get some clarity on how long is acceptable? 5 metres? 8 metres? And when does it get too long?

Return to “General Discussion”