Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 23 July | 5pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 23 July | 5pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Back to the bread and butter of the league on Sunday!

Any time is a good time to beat Shamrock Rovers - in many ways it is an ideal fixture to bounce back from the disappointment of the Rosenborg result

I hope a big crowd turns out to acknowledge the efforts of the last couple of weeks and drive on the team to an important league win

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 23 July | 5pm | Oriel Park

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:39 am

Shields and Finn suspended. This could be a drab affair with both teams tired from Europe.
I can see Vemmulund and McEleney rested, Maybe a first start for Connolly.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:36 am

Makes sense. O'Donnell to start and maybe even McGrath and Barrett or Hoare in. Prefer to see Hoare get game time. I dont think he out injured?

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Team news

Chris Shields misses out due to suspension having accumulated his fifth yellow card against Bohemians 2 weeks ago while Patrick McEleney is a doubt with a groin injury which forced him off before extra-time in the Champions League tie on Wednesday.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/kenny-respond-right-way/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:27 pm

WEBBY TO GO Dave Webster wants Shamrock Rovers’ quest to get back into Europe to start at Dundalk tomorrow

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/12 ... -tomorrow/

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:06 pm

For that headline alone i want to kick the stuffing out of Rovers and hope that Webster doesnt feature in the game at all.

Its probably the best fixture to come back to after the disappointment mid week. I really hope that the support is out to show SK and the team that their efforts were appreciated and regardless the supporters are handling disappointment. In reality though I think it will be a good crowd to break the 1800 mark considering the time of year and that there isnt a whole lot going on for us league wise. If Cork drop a few points adjusting to life after Maguire we need obviously need to keep winning and close the gap prior to our game against them. I think the will draw with Galway next weekend and will drop more points with their run of games against teams that are battling relegation and hopefully busting a gut while Cork get a bit complacent. We play some of those team too but I feel we have a point to prove for the 2nd half of the season and results have shown that.
Cork after their games against the bottom 4 or 5 then have Rovers before us so hopefully some little seeds of doubt will creep in on the league leaders for a grandstand finish to the league. Good chance of meeting them in the 2 cups also as an aside.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 am

After their elimination from Europe last Thursday, Shamrock Rovers are very much focussed on domestic action now with a crucial week or so in the league ahead for the Hoops. They begin the final third of their league campaign with matches against Dundalk and Bohemians, beginning with a trip to Oriel Park this Sunday.

http://www.extratime.ie/articles/19427/ ... -campaign/

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Stephen Bradley gives some news and views in advance of today's match on the Rovers website:

It was a tough game in terms of the players put a lot of energy into it but Dundalk would have done similar in their game, so there’ll be no problem, they’ll be ready to go today. In training on Saturday we made sure everyone was right and recovered properly. Other than Paul Corry and Danny Devine, who’ll be out with his ankle injury for a couple of weeks, everyone else is fine. Ronan Finn (suspended) is obviously a big player for us and we’ll miss him but I feel we’re at a level now where when the players come in they do really well, so hopefully whoever takes his place will be fine in terms of the performance.

We know it’s going to be a tough game, Dundalk are a top side so we expect nothing less but I believe we’re a very good side as well, so it’s up to us to go up and play with our energy and believe in the way we play. If we do that I believe we can cause them trouble.

We set ourselves targets every round of games and after the game tomorrow we’ll sit down and have a look and go through them again. You try and improve every aspect you can, home form or away form. In Derry we were hard done by. Sligo on another night you’d win the game 2 or 3 nil with the chances we had. I think it’s very easy to get wrapped up in saying our away form should be better but I think we’ve been good away from home, we just need to turn our performances into results.”

http://shamrockrovers.ie/2017/07/23/tea ... -23-07-17/

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Hard to believe we can turn in a performance that bad after the heroics in Europe.

Long balls and long throws. No invention. Nothing up front. Duffy refusing to tackle. McGrath anonymous in the no. 10 role.

Paddy Barretts distribution was absolutely atrocious again. He got caught out looking for a soft free just before the Rovers goal. This is a guy who can bench 100kg+ in the gym but cant stand up against his man and try to win the ball. He wants to be the superstar with the 40 yard passes. He wants to be the soical media funny guy with the clowning around off the field. He would be much better off looking at how Andy Boyle conducted himself on and off the pitch before his career nosedives.

Hoare did ok at right back. Dylan Connolly had a reasonable first half.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:59 pm

That was painful!

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:00 pm

We certainly missed the key men who were out with injury/suspension. In fact bar the opening chance by Connolly there was little on offer from a Dundalk point of view. A sterile performance & creativity was absent throughout & on the day although it pains me to say it the better team won. The only positive I can think of is Massey getting back to his old self. We can't blame a European hangover here yet Rovers were right up for this game, we were not & that is very disappointing.

Looking forward, Connolly does appear a good prospect & given time he will add to the team.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Stephen
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Stephen » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:14 pm

Anybody know what happened with the Rovers keeper and the fans coming from the shed after the game.. He's on twitter claiming racist abuse.
20th May 2014. Dundalk 7 Drogheda United 0

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:43 am

Stephen wrote:Anybody know what happened with the Rovers keeper and the fans coming from the shed after the game.. He's on twitter claiming racist abuse.

Was wondering what was going on there, he took forever to come off the pitch. There must be some truth in it - he looked seriously pissed off and riled up coming off.

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:46 am

Stephen wrote:Anybody know what happened with the Rovers keeper and the fans coming from the shed after the game.. He's on twitter claiming racist abuse.

He is, an Israeli so I suppose that makes him a target of abuse for some people. Abuse of any sort is wrong of course, but his time wasting antics didn't endear him to the home supporters. But he isn't the first or the worst. Every goalkeeper would do the same, myself included in my day.
I have posted, under a new topic, a rule change being considered by FIFA which would eliminate time wasting.
The Back of the Wall

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:56 am

Wexford White wrote:

He is, an Israeli so I suppose that makes him a target of abuse for some people. Abuse of any sort is wrong of course, but his time wasting antics didn't endear him to the home supporters. But he isn't the first or the worst. Every goalkeeper would do the same, myself included in my day.
I have posted, under a new topic, a rule change being considered by FIFA which would eliminate time wasting.

Totally out of order if true.

His timewasting was a joke from the 1st minute - but it worked. Ref should have booked him after the 2nd or 3rd time he took his time with a kickout and he'd soon have stopped.

Speaking of the 1st minute his save after 30 odd seconds was brilliant. Different game if that had gone in but he'd nothing to do after that really.

I don't know about that rule... they do say the ball is only in play approx. 30 mins per half but then you go down the road of not knowing when games will end etc.

Return to “General Discussion”