Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 23 July | 5pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 23 July | 5pm | Oriel Park

Postby mike » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:53 am

McNultys Discopants wrote:

Speaking of the 1st minute his save after 30 odd seconds was brilliant. Different game if that had gone in but he'd nothing to do after that really.

[/quote]

The problem was though, I think this was his only save of note for the entire match. We never threatened, passing was sloppy, application overall was sluggish, dreadful performance really. Pity as decent crowd to watch it, was almost like a slow non event.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:16 pm

Serious black spot on our season that we haven't got a single point once behind in a match
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:55 pm

El Paso wrote:Serious black spot on our season that we haven't got a single point once behind in a match

Finishing twenty points behind Cork is the black spot on the season. If Kenny had of resigned last season and we had a new man in place and he had us now where Kenny currently has, there would be plenty calling for his head.

Let's call a spade a spade. Most of the signings haven't worked out and some of those kept aren't good enough. We have a good first eleven and Connolly looks a great addition but we have regressed badly this season and would be struggling to make Europe but for how shite the rest of the league is. The optimism I had for next season is slowly diminishing as it's looking we will continue to have to rebuild.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:55 am

The point on not recovering even once from a goal down is not good, as will be the significant margin Cork will finish ahead of us. I had initially hoped this might reduce to single figures but performances against the better sides, and even at home suggest otherwise. The disappointment is that’s two big home games now that we lost without even getting into gear, 3-0 v Cork and 1-0 to Rovers. We made 5 changes granted, so it was a fair adjustment, but the shape was just dreadful all the same on Sunday, hardly once did we offer any hope that we could really lift it and push on, there was a really slow period in the second half where this reminded me of Fosters second season, it was almost walking pace.

Its very frustrating to see the inconsistency from the excellent first half away to Rosenborg to last Sunday, yes the players were probably very down after going out of Europe, but that was still no excuse for that type of performance. Unless we can cement second place and finish significantly ahead of the 3rd placed side, and win a cup, lets face it, will have to be FAI Cup, the season will be seen a disappointment. The concern is if we put in a display like that v Derry we will be going out before it even gets going.

Hopefully last Sunday was the final wake up call, still 3 months to play for, still plenty to achieve.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 am

The League has been over since Bray beat us at home and the performances in the aftermath of that defeat reflected that. Then at least with Europe on the horizon there was a reason to snap back into gear and from there we have cantered to a comfortable second place, though yes because everyone else is crap. But everyone else being crap is also why Cork have only dropped 2 points in 20-odd matches.

While we'll say it's unacceptable to put in a performance like Sunday's I don't know how you'd be motivated to be up for it. The League is over in every way, more or less, and a tremendous effort was put in for Europe. I can't say I was surprised to lose on Sunday. Although again I think the biggest issue we've had this season is that we continue to play in slow motion especially when behind and that is very frustrating when football is now a high intensity game.

Still I think I saw enough against Rosenborg to suggest we a) have the nucleus of an excellent Stephen Kenny Dundalk 3.0 and b) we'd be favourites for the League next season, given the players Cork have lost and will lose. Of our key signings - Clifford, McGrath, Hoare, Vemmelund, Duffy - only Clifford is a write off. I have high hopes for the other four. That's good going in any transfer market. Of the other squad signings... meh...

We can never underestimate just how difficult it was for a small club in European terms like ours to have to negotiate what we did last season then turn around and go again this year. Rovers finished a distant 4th in 2012. Patience is a virtue...

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:47 am

Good point on next season, it should be very close and probably up there with SPL type when Celtic and Rangers were similar standard early to mid 00's.

Cork lost their two best players and main goalscorer, but we'll still need key additions, probably a new keeper and at least one defender, a holding MF man too.

OHare
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby OHare » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:02 pm

For MF Next year McEneff from Derry would be a great signing Or Sule from Bohs.

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:05 pm

OHare wrote:For MF Next year McEneff from Derry would be a great signing Or Sule from Bohs.

Whatever about McEneff, I think Sule would be a great signing.
The Back of the Wall

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 23 July | 5pm | Oriel Park

Postby Sneachta » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:50 am

mike wrote:Good point on next season, it should be very close and probably up there with SPL type when Celtic and Rangers were similar standard early to mid 00's.

Cork lost their two best players and main goalscorer, but we'll still need key additions, probably a new keeper and at least one defender, a holding MF man too.
I'm not so sure it will be that much of a two horse race next season. I know they're not great but I've seen enough improvement from rovers to suggest they will be in the shake up next season.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Rovers will prob need to get in at least 2 or 3 quality players to challenge for the title, but I would agree the league should be more open next season. Money as ever will dictate budgets, but Rovers might get a fair whack if they can sell Trevor Clarke.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Dont forget the Bray revolution!!

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Interest has been heard on that from as far away as North Korea !

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 23 July | 5pm | Oriel Park

Postby Sneachta » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:29 pm

mike wrote:Interest has been heard on that from as far away as North Korea !
Has to be Waterford whispers. Mad Ted!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Read the Bray statement. I thought it was childish. I wouldn't be too optimistic.
The Back of the Wall

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Watching the goals Bohs have scored tonight... how on earth did we play 180+ minutes of football against Rovers and only score once? They are awful at the back.

Return to “General Discussion”