SK. 2020

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: SK. 2020

Postby El Paso » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:24 pm

The way Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane are going we might struggle to keep our manager. I know the team is ravaged by injuries but Ireland tonight are a shitshow.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:40 pm

El Paso wrote:The way Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane are going we might struggle to keep our manager. I know the team is ravaged by injuries but Ireland tonight are a shitshow.

Just get rid of Keane. An expensive and disruptive influence.
The Back of the Wall

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:03 pm

Stephen Kenny and Alan Cawley are the studio analysts in an extended Game On covering the Ireland match. When you listen to the boss talking about international players/managers/clubs/formation you realise just how extensive his knowledge is. At half-time he did the polite thing and talked Wales up. Cawley absolutely hammered O'Neill's tactics. And as I type it's 4-0. Now I know how Limerick fans felt at the start of the season.

Good job I have a proper team to support every week.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:10 am

I would be delighted/devastated/concerned all in one if Kenny got the call up for the international job.

But realistically, how can he do better, considering the cock and bull set up we have for bringing players through.

We have an association that does not value the league. There is no pathway of worth, yet, to coach young Irish players in a particular style/pattern in a home grown league that provides for the international team. It's ad-hoc, off to England, come back, play in LOI, but after that it's hope for the best and habits and confidence have taken a hit in lots of these players by then.

I have two mates who played for premier league youth teams in the 90s/00s. They got released and came back to Ireland. Zero support. Zero confidence. One of them, a highly smart and educated guy, tried to set up a support network for returning returning Irish players, but of course, what started out as support from our association, turned into a full on block when they realised this guy was onto to something. I won't mention the well known association individual who first supported then blocked his idea, based on the fact that his idea was a runner and it basically showed up this other guy for being a sham in the association. He was also a former international manager. Both of the lads actually had pretty decent league of Ireland careers when they came back.

Our association has screwed the footballing nation for decades now. I would fear Stephen Kenny's good reputation would get pillared and he'd be used as a scapegoat by the suits if things didn't go well, like had been done in the past. It's enough to make you sick. Perhaps Stephen Kenny is a realist and knows that the grass is not always greener, or would he just love to have a crack at it?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:23 am

One of Stephen Kenny''s best attributes is as a man manager. He finds players he thinks can be of value and works with them week in week out to build their confidence and ability and integrate them into the team.

In international football you're stuck with whatever is available and work with them for a few days before a game, assuming players aren't injured or not man enough to stand up for themselves.

Managing your country has a nice ring to it but only Mick McCarthy ever really managed to get regular work afterwards. It really is a poison chalice.
Last edited by oldfogey on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigger1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tigger1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:38 am

Wexford White wrote:
El Paso wrote:The way Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane are going we might struggle to keep our manager. I know the team is ravaged by injuries but Ireland tonight are a shitshow.

It continues I see.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:09 pm

I don’t see what Keane adds but there’s two parts to this: 1 Martin O’Neill; 2 the FAI.

The only way we should be developing players for the national team is through the LOI. If lads are then good enough to be sold to play in the big Euro Leagues so much the better. But the LOI should be the starting point, not the afterthought. Until change is made in that direction we’re fighting the tide.

But Martin O’ Neill has been particularly poor. What a Stephen Kenny would bring is organisation. You can go far in international football with basic organisation and players in the right position knowing what they have to do. We don’t even have that. Tales of lads just jogging around training grounds and playing 6-a-side are legendary.

muppet
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby muppet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:30 pm

If Stephen Kenny was offered the job he would jump at it. He always talks about his players getting international recognition, so why would it be any different for him.

I think he’d be mad taking it but I also think he would definitely take it if offered.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:18 pm

He would definitely take it. Salary alone never mind opportunity or pride of managing your country.

If he was offered it I’d hope we could keep him in a Director of Football role or something

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:59 pm

Tigger1 wrote:
Wexford White wrote:

It continues I see.

If what continues? Dont get too bogged down on criticism of a Cork boy, Keane divides opinion no matter where he is from. Staunton was a poor international manager, that he is from Dundalk doesnt change that for Dundalk people. Under appreciated as a player though until his swansong perfromances in Japan 2002.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:17 pm

muppet wrote:If Stephen Kenny was offered the job he would jump at it. He always talks about his players getting international recognition, so why would it be any different for him.

I think he’d be mad taking it but I also think he would definitely take it if offered.

That is the reality. He would absolutely without doubt accept it, if offered.

In previous interviews when he has reaffirmed his commitment to Dundalk he has been fully transparent about the levels of his ambition.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:29 pm

Let's look at the cold hard facts. Keane and O'Neill have clearly got zero skills at inspiring this average enough bunch of players to play any decent football.

To sack them, will cost the FAI a serious wedge of cash. If they do, there is a far cheaper and without doubt a more up to date mindset to professional football, option in Stephen Kenny.

Can we safely say that Stephen Kenny is a serious runner to succeed Martin O'Neill?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Paddy Power have Stephen Kenny 4th in the betting for next permanent Rep of Ireland manager:

7/2 Mick McCarthy
8/1 Neil Lennon
10/1 Roy Keane
12/1 Stephen Kenny
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Good. Don’t want him going anywhere near it.

On a related manner i wonder if the club should be looking at succession planning. Promote a Kenny protege from within if and when Kenny feels his ambitions require a move.

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:26 pm

El Paso wrote:Good. Don’t want him going anywhere near it.

On a related manner i wonder if the club should be looking at succession planning. Promote a Kenny protege from within if and when Kenny feels his ambitions require a move.

Yes I thinking that S O’D would be perfect.

Return to “General Discussion”