SK. 2020

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: SK. 2020

Postby McNultys Discopants » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Sneachta wrote:
McNultys Discopants wrote:
transitvan74 wrote:so on the basis of past players from england giving us a reason to celebrate ,we should continue to make our own home grown players in OUR own league jump through hoops and wait until a english club/martin oneill/fai decides that they are good to play for there country {hence the problem] we are a small country its a sad day when we are relying on english players, some who say there great granfather worked in the irish embassy in london to qualify to play for us .its a farce and the green paddys that pack the aviva time after time is worse .how on gods earth is are national team to exist ith the current system

Jesus, your posts are a tough read.

Just to throw my two cents in on the English/Irish debate, English - learn how to write coherent words and sentences in the language please.

But as to those players not being good enough, that's another story. I don't buy into your narrative that they are bad players at all and I'd also be fairly confident they'd destroy the current Dundalk team if they played against them despite the manager not having a clue on how to play or what position to play certain players in.

Packie Bonner - Donegal
Chris Morris - England
Mick McCarthy - England
Kevin Moran - Dublin
Paul McGrath - England
Stephen Staunton - Drogheda
Ray Houghton - England
Andy Townsend - England
Kevin Sheedy - Wales
John Aldridge - England
Tony Cascarino - England

Ireland team v England Italia 90 - terrible to rely on these "English born" players!!!
In don't know how people think Stan is a Drogheda man. He played for the Clans, Dominic's, lived and grew up in Ard Easmun and went to school in the Del La Salle. Surely a wind up?!?!
!
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Born in Drogheda..... No wind up. Simply a fact.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: SK. 2020

Postby Sneachta » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Born in Drogheda? Lol!

I was born in Newry but I'm from bloody Dundalk, Co. Louth. Would ya stop. He's a Dundalk man!

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Postby McNultys Discopants » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:23 pm

Sneachta wrote:Born in Drogheda? Lol!

I was born in Newry but I'm from bloody Dundalk, Co. Louth. Would ya stop. He's a Dundalk man!

Have you a point to be made other than getting to twist the facts? The post is in relation to where players were born and factually correct. If it said Dundalk after his name it would be inaccurate. I've noticed you've not got an issue with Paul McGrath being born in England. Sure he's from Dublin eh.

Anyway he was one of 3 non English born players in that side.... As he was born in Drogheda like myself ;-)

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:22 am

Have you a point to be made other than getting to twist the facts? The post is in relation to where players were born and factually correct. If it said Dundalk after his name it would be inaccurate. I've noticed you've not got an issue with Paul McGrath being born in England. Sure he's from Dublin eh.

Anyway he was one of 3 non English born players in that side.... As he was born in Drogheda like myself ;-)

Your birth cert lists your parents place of residence when you were born, that's good enough for me.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:05 am

Place of birth means nothing. Just ask Paul McGrath, Mick McCaaaaaarthy or Kevin Kilbane. They're Irish. Likewise, ask Stan, and he'll say Dundalk.

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:31 pm

To be fair, Stephen Staunton is a Dundalk man.

So he is

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Back on Stephen Kenny, as he signed his contract before the takeover, I wonder if Peak 6 are in negotiations to extend the deal on better terms and in doing so protect our club from poachers.

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Postby McNultys Discopants » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:38 am

Sneachta wrote:

Place of birth means nothing. Just ask Paul McGrath, Mick McCaaaaaarthy or Kevin Kilbane. They're Irish. Likewise, ask Stan, and he'll say Dundalk.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

That was my whole initial point in the first place ya header! Cmon the town!

Back to 2020..... I'd be looking to tie our man down to at least 2024......

Thoughts?

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:36 am

This is meant to be a negative article about the thinking around international football. Saying that Stephen Kenny is unlikely to be the next Republic of Ireland manager pleases me in a very selfish way!

While he is obviously ambitious, I hope he stays a generation at Oriel and builds on his his last 6 years

Attitude towards Stephen Kenny becoming Ireland manager shows what is holding Irish football back

This shows the mindset that is holding back Irish football.
Stephen Kenny won’t be the next manager of the Republic of Ireland. Probably not anyway. A lot would have to happen.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/steph ... site_share
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:45 am

Stephen Kenny getting linked with the Rep of Ireland job is an inevitable but unwelcome consequence of his success

Richard Dunne: Why Stephen Kenny is a great candidate to be the next Ireland manager

I know there is no vacancy at the moment as Martin O’Neill is the Ireland manager.

But if and when the job is available, I see no reason why Stephen Kenny should not be in consideration at least, no matter who gets the job.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 86599.html
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:33 pm

I think Richard Dunnes punditry is cringe. He's a great yes opinion man. Populous. However, he is right about Kenny.

I wouldn't want Kenny to get the job for fear he might not be the Messiah that everyone thinks he will be and then all the boo boys will say I told you so if Kenny doesn't do the job.

I think Kenny would be a great appointment and I think he would trust our international players to play football. Managing these guys is a different ball game to managing Dundalk. Ireland is not made of a team of Seamus Coleman's unfortunately. Would he get the same respect from a Jeff Hendrick or Robbie Brady?

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:56 am

Sneachta wrote:I think Richard Dunnes punditry is cringe. He's a great yes opinion man. Populous. However, he is right about Kenny.

I wouldn't want Kenny to get the job for fear he might not be the Messiah that everyone thinks he will be and then all the boo boys will say I told you so if Kenny doesn't do the job.

I think Kenny would be a great appointment and I think he would trust our international players to play football. Managing these guys is a different ball game to managing Dundalk. Ireland is not made of a team of Seamus Coleman's unfortunately. Would he get the same respect from a Jeff Hendrick or Robbie Brady?

I'm not so sure his magic would work in a scenario where

- He only has the players for 20 days a year

- You never know who is available

- They have someone else's ideas ingrained into them

- He has to take what's available rather than hunting out players with potential to develop, the right attitude, and something to prove.

The media would also destroy him, because that's what they do. It's what gets an audience and sells papers and advertising.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 am

I think the best bit of business our board of directors can do now, is to open up contract talks. I know Stephen is here til 2020 but with the heightened media attention around our success and papertalk saying he should be appointed the Irish manager. I think we should have a long contract in place so that if the FAILURES come calling then they will have to pay a significant sum of money to get Stephen Kenny. Plus it offers Stephen job stability beyond 2020. Win win for Stephen and the club.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:15 pm

I agree on the importance of a contract extension. While I'd love the RoI to do well I have to say I'm a Dundalk man first and foremost and would rather SK stay at Oriel. At least until say 2025. All this talk about a 'saviour' of the Irish international side is pointless. There is a lot that needs to change and one man cannot do that even Stephen Kenny, not yet anyway and to take that job currently would potentially damage his reputation.
It will be another generation of footballers that have to be brought through underage football with a focus on technical ability rather than size or strength. Kenny would really be suited to overseeing player development at all levels but Ruud Dokter is doing a decent job at that so far. When new player pathways start to pay dividends then Kenny could consider the senior managers position if it were available but now its a poison chalice.
In the mean time the FAI, current manager, and the so called best supporters in the world, could do with a change of mindset and stop looking to England/Scotland only, to develop players (and for clubs to refer to as 'we' with no regard for their local club).

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:58 am

No surprise as Stephen wins his fifth pfai award in six years

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/nat ... -year.html

Return to “General Discussion”