SK. 2020

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: SK. 2020

Postby colymull » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:28 am

El Paso wrote:I love the man, but in cold light of day I don’t think he comes out of this looking well. Essentially putting his career on ice for a promise. We’ll play in Europe before he plays a competitive game again. The idea that he has to serve an apprenticeship with youth teams to get the big job, rather than stay with us should have been an insult to him.

I agree, I wonder was there a take or leave it thing going on. As in, if you don’t take this offer we won’t offer you the senior role ever again.
Another campaign in Europe, no matter how many rounds, would be far more beneficial than a couple of meaningless U21 friendlies.

King Kenny!

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:14 am

Obviously very disappointing to see him leave, and for the u21 role, if it had been for the big job no one could argue with that. The thing about getting that big job in 2 years is baffling, how can you promote anyone regardless of how they will perform? Surely that has to undermine McCarthy even before he starts.

Then compensation thing will be interesting as he’s under contract but as others have said if there is an exit clause we might get nothing.

The big losers in all of this on a lot of levels is DFC.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:42 pm

As unlikely as it is, lets just say that McCarthy puts together an Ireland side that romps through the group, playing scintilating football and charge to the semi finals of the finals or something - then he must leave? He now knows no matter what he does he is out of a job in 2 years. It would have made more sense to leave Kenny where he was with a promise that next time around he is in the job. Not this fiasco from the FAI and not just cause its SK its just a fiasco all round.

One thing we can say about Delaney is that he knows how to deflect attention when there is a groundswell of calls for him to leave the FAI.

lilywhite66
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lilywhite66 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:48 pm

SK has a family bussinses background, he's switched on in that sense regarding what deal hes done with the FAI and no doubt end up a millionaire out of it, he will over see all international levels and manage the 21s. when he takes over in 2020 he'll no every player we have. I think it's a brilliant move for him we just have to move on best of luck to him.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:08 pm

The 21s don’t play a competitive game until next September. At most they’ll play six games by the time Kenny gets the senior job. He doesn’t even see one U21 qualifying campaign through, ffs! Watching youth teams for two years is better than managing in the Champions League? The man we’re told has a burning ambition? Lol.

Noel King has been in that job 8 years and has all the badges. He knows all the players, why is he not in the big job now? Or McCarthy’s assistant? The FAI have played everyone like a fiddle. In the process they have probably screwed the League’s last, best chance of European progress by cleaving off its best manager and putting him in a back office for two years. Why can’t Kenny take the senior job when his contract with us expires if 2020 is the offer?

Kenny had no interest in this role until he was told he’d get the senior gig out of it. Zero. On Thursday he made a passionate pitch for the big gig. Two days later he’s essentially accepting he’s not ready, but will be after managing six U21 games. He’s put his career on ice for a two year apprenticeship in a job he didn’t want, but has accepted as a means to an end. I hope it works out for him.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Im finding it very hard to feel gracious in this in any way. Not so much because we are losing our manager but because teflon John has managed to pull a fast one and likely quieten the masses that were questioning him.

He has managed to appoint the 2 favourite canditates to the one job over one weekend. After sacking a management team that will cost in the region of €5million, while underminng one of the appointees and having another association censor fans....he is one serious operator! No questions allowed at todays press conference no doubt!!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:18 pm

Last edited by El Paso on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:20 pm

El Paso wrote:I love the man, but in cold light of day I don’t think he comes out of this looking well. Essentially putting his career on ice for a promise. We’ll play in Europe before he plays a competitive game again. The idea that he has to serve an apprenticeship with youth teams to get the big job, rather than stay with us should have been an insult to him.

We don't know what those gurriers in Abbotstown said to him. It may well have been a negotiated arrangement.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:37 pm

It’s just been confirmed in the presser.

It went down exactly as described.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:47 pm

A tweet a couple of hours ago by Gavin McLaughlin

Gavin McLaughlin
‏@DundalkSport
Led to believe that the FAI did not formally approach Dundalk to speak to Kenny. Club will receive compensation as he was under contract until the end of the 2020 season but amount is minimal. #DundalkSport

https://twitter.com/DundalkSport/status ... 4378985472

I don't understand how, if there is a compensation entitlement, that it could be minimal

Either the club are entitled to compensation or they are not. If therer was no formal approach to the club then clearly no negotiation took place.

Is that not an illegal approach?
Last edited by Ezeikial on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

holidaysong
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby holidaysong » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:47 pm

Delaney also said he spoke to Mike Treacy and Mal Brannigan yesterday. That they wished him well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:50 pm

What the fook does this mean?

Gavin McLaughlin
‏@DundalkSport
John Delaney on Dundalk.

"I spoke to Dundalk yesterday, I spoke to Mike Treacy. They wished us well. He's not moving to another club, it's his country. Dundalk were fantastic."

https://twitter.com/DundalkSport/status ... 3964319744
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

holidaysong
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby holidaysong » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:51 pm

I'd be surprised if Kenny didn't take quite a lot of his staff with him with all the underage teams he'll be over.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Ezeikial wrote:What the fook does this mean?

Gavin McLaughlin
‏@DundalkSport
John Delaney on Dundalk.

"I spoke to Dundalk yesterday, I spoke to Mike Treacy. They wished us well. He's not moving to another club, it's his country. Dundalk were fantastic."

https://twitter.com/DundalkSport/status ... 3964319744

“Hi Mike, John here. Listen, your manager is coming to work for us now. He told us what the buyout clause in his contract is. Lol. Okay, thanks, bye - we’ll give Stephen your best wishes.”

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:57 pm

holidaysong wrote:I'd be surprised if Kenny didn't take quite a lot of his staff with him with all the underage teams he'll be over.

As of right now they’re keeping their existing management teams and Stephen is ‘overseeing’ the lot. But so is Doktor.

Lads, I wish him well, you wish him well. But this is a joke.

Return to “General Discussion”