SK. 2020

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: SK. 2020

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:10 pm

I think we were talking about why there was no statement by Sunday evening for something that happened on Saturday, not suggesting there’d be none at all.

They want to have at least some of their ducks in a row first.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:54 am

I know that it is time to move on, accept what has happened, acknowledge the fantastic job that Stephen has done and the great times he has given us all - and then embrace the future possibilities enthusiastically.

But comments like this one form Delaney really stick in my craw
"They know that Stephen wanted this job and you have to be fair to Dundalk, too.

"Had we let it go on for another month Dundalk have to appoint a manager and prepare for next season and we had to be fair to Dundalk FC".

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... s-13644297

He is actually spinning it that he had Dundalk's best interests at heart by moving quickly on appointing Stephen Kenny. He has an incredible hard neck
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

thecaptain
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby thecaptain » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:56 am

Ezeikial wrote:
thecaptain wrote:
Niall & El Paso pretty much sums it up, comment wasn't aimed at yourself, was a general comment as we always get it in case you think it was!

Kenny's press conference is tomorrow at noon, I'm sure the club will have something out to coincide with that either shortly before or after tomorrow afternoon at some stage. It's all hands on deck at the club ever since they found out off Kenny and the FAI yesterday afternoon and what you have to remember is even with things being a hell of a lot more professionally run it's still only what, 3 or 4 full time employees, liaising with Mike and whoever else in the States.

As a PR man yourself and a man who was in that role for the club you know yourself you can't & shouldn't comment on anything and everything and every breaking development of things.

I didn't assume that your comment was aimed at any specific person.

You ridiculed the notion of people - "demanding statements and official on the hour, every hour and going full Maude Flanders that they personally are not being briefed by the club on every little thing going on" - set against a background where Dundalk FC have said absolutely nothing while the FAI confirmed our manager as their new employee

That is unprecedented in my recollection.

The departure of Stephen Kenny from the club is hardly a minor development - Undoubtedly the club will make a press statement in due course, presumably tomorrow

Wanting information is only natural and no one has any issue with that and to be updated but the attitude of immediately if not sooner and wanting public statements of every bit of minutiae just for the sake of it because some have a self entitled attitude well deserves to be called out in my opinion. Understandably we're all shocked and at panic stations to one extent or another but if we're like that imagine what the club are like behind the scenes. Look at the state of Pats, Derry and Wexfords public statements, made in good spirit and with good intentions but it made them look like amateur hour was in full effect to a certain extent.

You're spot on in that we're in an unprecedented situation and circumstances, especially given where we are as a club now and where we came from and to quote Axl Rose: "Where do we go? Where do we go now?" is the million euro question, literally nearly!

Could be the case that the club agreed with the FAI to say nothing until today when SK will have his own press conference now in an hour or so to let the dust settle somewhat given the whirlwind nature of the situation which is fair enough in my opinion? Get the Mick stuff out of the way and the furore surrounding the whole scenario and then today is all about Stephen.

We were all caught on the hop with this relatively speaking over the last 4 or 5 days, both us as supporters and the club, players and rest of the staff too. Anyway, as we said I'd assume the club will put something out today, talk of them trying to get a dispensation for Vinny on the Pro Licence but that's talk for the other thread!
Ian Foster: (On the expectations level at Dundalk): "That's why you want to be involved in management. If I don't do well I'll do my shopping in Newry!"

Ian Foster: Last seen heading for Newry.

thecaptain
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby thecaptain » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:59 am

Ezeikial wrote:I know that it is time to move on, accept what has happened, acknowledge the fantastic job that Stephen has done and the great times he has given us all - and then embrace the future possibilities enthusiastically.

But comments like this one form Delaney really stick in my craw
"They know that Stephen wanted this job and you have to be fair to Dundalk, too.

"Had we let it go on for another month Dundalk have to appoint a manager and prepare for next season and we had to be fair to Dundalk FC".

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... s-13644297

He is actually spinning it that he had Dundalk's best interests at heart by moving quickly on appointing Stephen Kenny. He has an incredible hard neck

Agree 100% with you on this, Delaney does in his shite give a flying fiddlers about being fair to us. He's hedging his bets and doing the usual dose of FAI fudge to cover his backside and knecapping us out of the blue pretty much, not even a euro in compo sure for one (depending on if there was a release clause or not!)
Ian Foster: (On the expectations level at Dundalk): "That's why you want to be involved in management. If I don't do well I'll do my shopping in Newry!"

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:03 am

That, and boasting about not having to pay Dundalk compo after they shelled out millions to cancel that stupid extension they gave monkeano sickened me.

Assuming it all goes as planned the FAI are getting a great manager in two years time, and I hope he absolutely rips it up. Would be great for the country.

But don't be under any illusions that Delaney isn't using Kenny for his own purposes here. Always the political game with that prick. At the end of the day Stephen has taken a back office job he didn't want for the purpose of getting the job he does want in Summer 2020 so Delaney can deflect from criticism of his role.

thecaptain
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby thecaptain » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:14 am

To be fair to Stephen EP, I think Stephen, given what he's said over the years passionately about the development of football in this country, would love the chance to stamp his philosophy and plans throughout the national youth setup form top to bottom and no better man for it in my opinion.

Thing is though it's for 18 months! Who comes in then to take over from him when he moves up to the seniors to replace Mick? It's all optics for Delaney, always has been, & he's spooked with Grima Wormtongue Niall Quinn now sniffing around. UEFA elections are in 2020 so he's hanging around like a bad fart until then so he can feck off to Geneva and leave it to SK and most likely Quinn or whoever else to take over.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 am

He turned down the 21s job. Twice apparently. Most recently on Thursday. And lol if anyone thinks he was taking it when being 'responsible for' the youths was chucked in.

And he's going to achieve shag all in 18 months. He'll barely meet most of the players, never mind stamp anything on them. That's a 10-15 year project. That's why they won't bother clearly defining the role - Doktor is going nowhere, neither are the current youths management teams. And he leaves halfway through the U21 qualifying campaign, so doesn't even see that job through.

This is entirely Kenny being used by Delaney to fend off Quinn

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:10 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
thecaptain wrote:
Niall & El Paso pretty much sums it up, comment wasn't aimed at yourself, was a general comment as we always get it in case you think it was!

Kenny's press conference is tomorrow at noon, I'm sure the club will have something out to coincide with that either shortly before or after tomorrow afternoon at some stage. It's all hands on deck at the club ever since they found out off Kenny and the FAI yesterday afternoon and what you have to remember is even with things being a hell of a lot more professionally run it's still only what, 3 or 4 full time employees, liaising with Mike and whoever else in the States.

As a PR man yourself and a man who was in that role for the club you know yourself you can't & shouldn't comment on anything and everything and every breaking development of things.

I didn't assume that your comment was aimed at any specific person.

You ridiculed the notion of people - "demanding statements and official on the hour, every hour and going full Maude Flanders that they personally are not being briefed by the club on every little thing going on" - set against a background where Dundalk FC have said absolutely nothing while the FAI confirmed our manager as their new employee

That is unprecedented in my recollection.

The departure of Stephen Kenny from the club is hardly a minor development - Undoubtedly the club will make a press statement in due course, presumably tomorrow

There are no "do-overs" on this, whatever statement the club make is there for posterity. You like to think that their initial reaction to the way the FAI went about this was "How dare you treat us like you own the league and the people in it and you are above it's rules?". Of course we all wish Stephen Kenny the best of luck (if he ever gets to do it) but HOW F**KING DARE YOU?"

Better to play the long game and see what we can squeeze out of Abbotstown in terms of quid pro quo. We know it won't be money as JD has promised to clear the Aviva debt by the end of 2020 but still needs to pay his own salary.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:14 pm

For the masochists among us, Gav McLaughlin is streaming the FAI presser on his FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/DundalkSport/v ... 639858746/
Mon the Town!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Can't say I felt any emotion other than mild nausea just now.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Sadness & emptiness for me... and utter contempt for the FAI, I think those chants might ring out a bit louder from the shed this season...
Mon the Town!

holidaysong
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby holidaysong » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:23 pm

No staff going with him to the Ireland setup.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Jesus Christ who let Gerry Malone in...
Mon the Town!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:40 pm

@jamesdundalk

Kenny asked would he have taken U-21 job without carrot of senior: "That’s a hypothetical situation. The situation I’m in now is a great situation. It’s a huge honour. To be involved in managing the U-21 team and thereafter what’s involved is an absolutely huge honour."

'Hypothetical Situation' is what I'm calling 'last Thursday' from now on.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:33 pm

El Paso wrote:
@jamesdundalk

Kenny asked would he have taken U-21 job without carrot of senior: "That’s a hypothetical situation. The situation I’m in now is a great situation. It’s a huge honour. To be involved in managing the U-21 team and thereafter what’s involved is an absolutely huge honour."

'Hypothetical Situation' is what I'm calling 'last Thursday' from now on.

"Hypothetical Thursday" it is then. Followed by Black Friday. Followed by Skip's anniversary.

I cant begin to imagine what his wedding reception was like with most of the staff and players in attendance.

Return to “General Discussion”