SK. 2020

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: SK. 2020

Postby oldfogey » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:37 pm

ArFella wrote:Jesus Christ who let Gerry Malone in...

I suspect that will be Live at Oriel's first and last u21 press conference. Easy meat for an organisation who can send the national press on a wild goose chase at the AGM.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Darren Crawley has issued the club press release

Dundalk FC wishes to congratulate Stephen Kenny on his appointment to be the Republic of Ireland Manager in 2020.

The Club would like to take this occasion to thank Stephen Kenny for driving the amazing success achieved during his tenure. We understand that his next opportunity is one that he was going to find hard to resist, once offered, and everyone connected with Oriel Park wishes him the very best. His achievements at Dundalk FC have merited this opportunity and it is fully deserved.

I think you could read something into it ignoring the back office job. They know right well the U-21/'overseeing' all youths thing for 18 months is a farce and that he wasn't interested in it.

Anyway there's the statement saying the thing we all know. Cue the outrage that it doesn't answer everyone's questions.
Last edited by El Paso on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lilywhite66
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lilywhite66 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:37 pm

It's a joke Sligo Rovers announced Murray before Dundalk said he left it's the start of a down hill spirral.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:41 pm

lilywhite66 wrote:It's a joke Sligo Rovers announced Murray before Dundalk said he left it's the start of a down hill spirral.

Are you for real?

londonlilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby londonlilywhite » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:48 pm

lilywhite66 wrote:It's a joke Sligo Rovers announced Murray before Dundalk said he left it's the start of a down hill spirral.

Get a grip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I miss Kilkenny City

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Oh here we go...!!
King Kenny!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:55 pm

El Paso wrote:

Are you for real?

Its quite possible - even probable - that the club weren't notified until after Murray put pen to paper and had photos taken. I would even go so far as to suggest it was orchestrated by the media people over there to make it look as if we don't know what's going on with our own (former) players. You know, have their tweet ready to go the minute Ronan told Vinnie over the phone. To be fair, Darren Crawley is tied up with more important things.

Luckily Mr Rogers broke the news earlier today.

Trust me me there are 9 clubs out there (not just their Social Media peeps) who are rubbing their hands at the thoughts of us falling apart. It will be nice to see their faces in October.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:26 pm

We gotta be bigger & do it on the park next year. That’s the challenge, we have the squad plus a few new signings.
Now is the time to circle the wagons. Dundalk FC is more than one man. Onwards & upwards.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:55 pm

El Paso wrote:

Are you for real?

I doubt it - at least I sincerely hope it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Most people already know that Ronan Murray was out of contract since the end of the season
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

condor
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby condor » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm struggling to find any positives from the events of the weekend. I'd have been delighted for Stephen Kenny
if he'd gotten the senior Ireland job but I feel a little let down by how quickly he jumped ship for
the under 21 job. It's like he couldn't get out the door fast enough. I understand the man has huge ambition
and I really hope he fulfils all of them, but it still feels a strange decision getting in to bed with the FAI
on a promise from John poxy Delaney. I personally couldn't give two shiny shites about the Rebublic of Ireland
BUT I hope Stephen can cast some positives on to the LOI and help improve it from within.
Big thanks to Stephen Kenny for all the fantastic memories.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:44 pm

condor wrote:I'm struggling to find any positives from the events of the weekend. I'd have been delighted for Stephen Kenny
if he'd gotten the senior Ireland job but I feel a little let down by how quickly he jumped ship for
the under 21 job. It's like he couldn't get out the door fast enough. I understand the man has huge ambition
and I really hope he fulfils all of them, but it still feels a strange decision getting in to bed with the FAI
on a promise from John poxy Delaney. I personally couldn't give two shiny shites about the Rebublic of Ireland
BUT I hope Stephen can cast some positives on to the LOI and help improve it from within.
Big thanks to Stephen Kenny for all the fantastic memories.

I feel exactly the same, the whole thing has left a nasty taste in the mouth. I always knew SK would leave probably sooner rather than later but it all seemed to be very rushed. Not for one minute am I changing my mind on the man. He brought us arguably the greatest period of Dundalk FC and for that I'll be eternally grateful but I can't help the feeling that he was lead down the garden path by Delaney. I really hope it works out for him.
King Kenny!

lilywhite66
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lilywhite66 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:55 pm

I'd say the 500k he's on with the 21s and then 1.2 a year after that, can you blame the man a millionaire with the stroke of a pen if hes a success or not.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:11 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:We gotta be bigger & do it on the park next year. That’s the challenge, we have the squad plus a few new signings.
Now is the time to circle the wagons. Dundalk FC is more than one man. Onwards & upwards.

Well said, grieving is not working for me. Time to move on to phase 2 and start looking forward. A couple of big signings, everyone remaining positive and ready for the battle for next year, build on Kennys legacy. Personally fancy the succession route with Perth and Neville. Lessons from history Shankill, Paisley, Fegan, Daglish worked better than Sir Matt or Sir Alex at United. Am sure it has not always been the case but feels right for us. Understanding the spirit of the group, the fans and the town is very important, it is a very tight relationship and allows us to come together and achieve our full potential. Stay positive
Come on the town
We love the town

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:28 pm

lilywhite66 wrote:I'd say the 500k he's on with the 21s and then 1.2 a year after that, can you blame the man a millionaire with the stroke of a pen if hes a success or not.

Between salary and bonuses Kenny got close to
€1 million from Dundalk in 2016.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:15 am

Johnnybegood33 wrote:We gotta be bigger & do it on the park next year. That’s the challenge, we have the squad plus a few new signings.

Thats the way Johnny, well said! Stephen Kenny himself spoke about a football club being bigger than one or two individuals in the past and the same goes for him too.

I do think that the worry that has set in among fans is because of a lingering sense of insecurity with the owners. With SK, ongoing success was pretty much a certainty at domestic level at least. The possibility that a new manager wont deliver to the same extent has less to do with us all desperate for more silverware and more to do with what that might mean for the future of the club imo. If we completely trusted that the owners are in this for the long haul and are not going to pull the plug after a couple of average seasons then I dont think we would all feel just as bad by the whole situation. (fix up Oriel is the only they can prove real committment)

I feel disappointed with Kenny's decision as much as anything. Its like he has sold his soul. He is of course entitled to take the position offered as a man that is both ambitious and truly believes that Irish football deserves better. He obviously thinks he can revolutionise the attitude toward the game from within the FAI. I'd have rathered that he did this with Dundalk despite the FAI rather than because of them.

Like every other fan I wonder just what was said for Kenny, a man of integrity that had no time for the FAI to do such a quick u-turn - Delaney offered up the keys to the castle in desperate move of self preservation with a wedge of a salary to go with. JD has managed to appoint the two favoured candidates to the same job and now all the discussion is on the 'what ifs' of this succession process, deflecting attention away from the growing move for him to answer a measley few questions (having banners confiscated in Denmark, being called up in front of PAC for lack of FAI transparency, IOC shenanigans, I dont know if its true but it was said somewhere that his partner now has a job with the FAI? the list is endless). Even chatter about what if McCarthy works miracles leads us to winning the damn Euros and then he is out of the job. Then spotlight was firmly off the CEO... SK had to say that his promotion in 2020 was in his contract as people think such little of the FAI's integrity that thay wouldnt shaft him in the end ffs.

SK for the next 20 months will be overseeing youth development of our young internationals but isnt that what Ruud Dokter is supposed to be doing already. Why is SK good enough for the job in 20 months rather just give it to him now now, is McCarthy a better manager at the moment and will do things Kenny is not able to do? Noel King is moved to a position of identifying eligible young talent which is what the underage manager will be doing (though King was a disaster at it before anyway).

Ok this turned in to a bit of a rant that I didnt intend and isnt at all like my usually brief posts 'cough'. But tt just amazes me how Teflon John manages to duck and dive unscathed all the time, whether it had any connection to Dundalk FC this time or not. Delaney had better do us a favour back and get us a batch of grants to refurbish Oriel for nicking our manager!!

Return to “General Discussion”