SK. 2020

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: SK. 2020

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:28 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Paddy Power have Stephen Kenny 4th in the betting for next permanent Rep of Ireland manager:

7/2 Mick McCarthy
8/1 Neil Lennon
10/1 Roy Keane
12/1 Stephen Kenny

Strange that a leading bookmaker would put Keane ahead of Kenny imo. I don’t think there’s a fcukin chance Keane gets it now

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:27 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
El Paso wrote:Good. Don’t want him going anywhere near it.

On a related manner i wonder if the club should be looking at succession planning. Promote a Kenny protege from within if and when Kenny feels his ambitions require a move.

Yes I thinking that S O’D would be perfect.

Now there's a very interesting comment. Not a bad idea!
The Back of the Wall

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:49 am

Vinny or Skip seem like the obvious choices. It's a pity there's no reserve league to cut their teeth in. I'd take them over a spoofer like Fenlon, who'd be nailed on to be in for the job if he thought he had Peak 6 cash to splurge. I'd also be half afraid of them going abroad and bringing in a guy who completely misreads the League and arses the whole thing up. Think Damien Delaney against Bohs, but in manager form.

Maybe Kenny will create a Ferguson-esque dynasty at Dundalk and we'll all grow old together. But it would be a bit dimwitted of us to be caught on the hop if he ever does get poached.

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:36 am

Sneachta wrote:Let's look at the cold hard facts. Keane and O'Neill have clearly got zero skills at inspiring this average enough bunch of players to play any decent football.

To sack them, will cost the FAI a serious wedge of cash. If they do, there is a far cheaper and without doubt a more up to date mindset to professional football, option in Stephen Kenny.

Can we safely say that Stephen Kenny is a serious runner to succeed Martin O'Neill?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

judging by last few games its not only oneill and keane that needs sacking ,its like any rotting barrel of apples start at the top and pick your way down ,a lot of these guys are no more irish than margaret thatcher was and clearly have no pride or inspiration to play for their so called country , i never thought i would here the day i would hear so many people say sure dundalk would play them wasters of the pitch ,and inreality would love to see a even a league of ireland selection put it up to them ,would rather see are own league payers getting hammerd of the pitch than a bunch of wannabe irish /english players running around like rabbits in the headlights {with the exception of mc clean and one or two others }if we had a team of mc cleans we would be top notch

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:14 am

transitvan74 wrote:
Sneachta wrote:Let's look at the cold hard facts. Keane and O'Neill have clearly got zero skills at inspiring this average enough bunch of players to play any decent football.

To sack them, will cost the FAI a serious wedge of cash. If they do, there is a far cheaper and without doubt a more up to date mindset to professional football, option in Stephen Kenny.

Can we safely say that Stephen Kenny is a serious runner to succeed Martin O'Neill?

judging by last few games its not only oneill and keane that needs sacking ,its like any rotting barrel of apples start at the top and pick your way down ,a lot of these guys are no more irish than margaret thatcher was and clearly have no pride or inspiration to play for their so called country , i never thought i would here the day i would hear so many people say sure dundalk would play them wasters of the pitch ,and inreality would love to see a even a league of ireland selection put it up to them ,would rather see are own league payers getting hammerd of the pitch than a bunch of wannabe irish /english players running around like rabbits in the headlights {with the exception of mc clean and one or two others }if we had a team of mc cleans we would be top notch

What a load of shite you are talking!!

our best player last night was "no more irish than margaret thatcher" as you would say.

Do you need reminding that Dundalk played once decent side this season and were spanked 4-0

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Shoco wrote:
transitvan74 wrote:

our best player last night was "no more irish than margaret thatcher" as you would say.

Do you need reminding that Dundalk played once decent side this season and were spanked 4-0

maybe i am talking shite to an extent ,dundalk did get hammered 4/0 .but are you seriously tring to say that the current english /irish team that is playing muck is on the same level of the team that beat dundalk ,dont think so, and if you do you need to take them emerald tinted glasses of u.and my point being i would rather watch a irish league team play half decent football than that crap

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Dunno why you have to make it about an 'English/Irish' team when 'English/Irish' teams have given the international sides our greatest ever days.

The current situation is a mess, the fact some of the players were born in England isn't even in the top 20 reasons for that.

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:10 pm

El Paso wrote:Dunno why you have to make it about an 'English/Irish' team when 'English/Irish' teams have given the international sides our greatest ever days.

The current situation is a mess, the fact some of the players were born in England isn't even in the top 20 reasons for that.

so on the basis of past players from england giving us a reason to celebrate ,we should continue to make our own home grown players in OUR own league jump through hoops and wait until a english club/martin oneill/fai decides that they are good to play for there country {hence the problem] we are a small country its a sad day when we are relying on english players, some who say there great granfather worked in the irish embassy in london to qualify to play for us .its a farce and the green paddys that pack the aviva time after time is worse .how on gods earth is are national team to exist ith the current system

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:19 pm

transitvan74 wrote:
Shoco wrote:
transitvan74 wrote:judging by last few games its not only oneill and keane that needs sacking ,its like any rotting barrel of apples start at the top and pick your way down ,a lot of these guys are no more irish than margaret thatcher was and clearly have no pride or inspiration to play for their so called country , i never thought i would here the day i would hear so many people say sure dundalk would play them wasters of the pitch ,and inreality would love to see a even a league of ireland selection put it up to them ,would rather see are own league payers getting hammerd of the pitch than a bunch of wannabe irish /english players running around like rabbits in the headlights {with the exception of mc clean and one or two others }if we had a team of mc cleans we would be top notch

maybe i am talking shite to an extent ,dundalk did get hammered 4/0 .but are you seriously tring to say that the current english /irish team that is playing muck is on the same level of the team that beat dundalk ,dont think so, and if you do you need to take them emerald tinted glasses of u.and my point being i would rather watch a irish league team play half decent football than that crap

I'd be pretty confident that the current Irish team would give Dundalk a spanking no matter how bad or what clown is managing them.

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Postby McNultys Discopants » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:51 pm

transitvan74 wrote:
El Paso wrote:Dunno why you have to make it about an 'English/Irish' team when 'English/Irish' teams have given the international sides our greatest ever days.

so on the basis of past players from england giving us a reason to celebrate ,we should continue to make our own home grown players in OUR own league jump through hoops and wait until a english club/martin oneill/fai decides that they are good to play for there country {hence the problem] we are a small country its a sad day when we are relying on english players, some who say there great granfather worked in the irish embassy in london to qualify to play for us .its a farce and the green paddys that pack the aviva time after time is worse .how on gods earth is are national team to exist ith the current system

Jesus, your posts are a tough read.

Just to throw my two cents in on the English/Irish debate, English - learn how to write coherent words and sentences in the language please.

But as to those players not being good enough, that's another story. I don't buy into your narrative that they are bad players at all and I'd also be fairly confident they'd destroy the current Dundalk team if they played against them despite the manager not having a clue on how to play or what position to play certain players in.

Packie Bonner - Donegal
Chris Morris - England
Mick McCarthy - England
Kevin Moran - Dublin
Paul McGrath - England
Stephen Staunton - Drogheda
Ray Houghton - Scotland
Andy Townsend - England
Kevin Sheedy - Wales
John Aldridge - England
Tony Cascarino - England

Ireland team v England Italia 90 - terrible to rely on these "English born" players!!!
Last edited by McNultys Discopants on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk Wolf » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:58 pm

transitvan74 wrote:judging by last few games its not only oneill and keane that needs sacking ,its like any rotting barrel of apples start at the top and pick your way down ,a lot of these guys are no more irish than margaret thatcher was and clearly have no pride or inspiration to play for their so called country , i never thought i would here the day i would hear so many people say sure dundalk would play them wasters of the pitch ,and inreality would love to see a even a league of ireland selection put it up to them ,would rather see are own league payers getting hammerd of the pitch than a bunch of wannabe irish /english players running around like rabbits in the headlights {with the exception of mc clean and one or two others }if we had a team of mc cleans we would be top notch

James McClean? Top notch?

You can't fault his effort, granted. He gives 100% every time and runs around a lot, but it's often like a headless chicken, diving into rash challenges and giving the ball away as often as he does anything dangerous with it.

Loads of heart, not much thought. Whether that's his fault or that of the current coaching setup is difficult to tell.

He's undoubtedly a proud Irishman which, judging by your other comments, may be why you like him so much. And fair enough if that's the case. But don't mistake pride and effort for quality.

He plays for Stoke, who are a mid-table Championship side, which is about where MON's Ireland are at the moment. I'd love to see Ireland managed by someone who backs his players to play, trusts them on the ball and seeks to impose his style of play on the opposition. Someone like Stephen Kenny... just not Stephen Kenny (for now anyway).

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:10 pm

For League of Ireland players to ever be ready for international football the standard of the League as a whole has to improve. No one can seriously think Pat Hoban would have got any change out of the Welsh defence last night, for example. As good as we are, or could be, there's no challenge in our League that would prepare anyone for international football. Truth be told the same goes for League of Ireland managers.

Long before money stretched the gap between the haves and have-nots to breaking point, League of Ireland players were seen as a handicap in the national set up. Liam Tuohy left us to manage Ireland and promptly demanded that Ireland play home internationals on Wednesdays so he wouldn't have to select LoI players after we got thrashed 6-0 in Austria. That was 1971. Also, with that in mind, I guarantee you if Stephen Kenny got the job he wouldn't play a Dundalk player unless the whole first choice squad went lame.

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:42 am

El Paso wrote:For League of Ireland players to ever be ready for international football the standard of the League as a whole has to improve. No one can seriously think Pat Hoban would have got any change out of the Welsh defence last night, for example. As good as we are, or could be, there's no challenge in our League that would prepare anyone for international football. Truth be told the same goes for League of Ireland managers.

Long before money stretched the gap between the haves and have-nots to breaking point, League of Ireland players were seen as a handicap in the national set up. Liam Tuohy left us to manage Ireland and promptly demanded that Ireland play home internationals on Wednesdays so he wouldn't have to select LoI players after we got thrashed 6-0 in Austria. That was 1971. Also, with that in mind, I guarantee you if Stephen Kenny got the job he wouldn't play a Dundalk player unless the whole first choice squad went lame.

He would play McEleney no doubt!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:51 pm

DundalkChampions wrote:
El Paso wrote:For League of Ireland players to ever be ready for international football the standard of the League as a whole has to improve. No one can seriously think Pat Hoban would have got any change out of the Welsh defence last night, for example. As good as we are, or could be, there's no challenge in our League that would prepare anyone for international football. Truth be told the same goes for League of Ireland managers.

He would play McEleney no doubt!

+ Michael Duffy
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: SK. 2020

Postby Sneachta » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:01 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote:
transitvan74 wrote:

Jesus, your posts are a tough read.

Just to throw my two cents in on the English/Irish debate, English - learn how to write coherent words and sentences in the language please.

But as to those players not being good enough, that's another story. I don't buy into your narrative that they are bad players at all and I'd also be fairly confident they'd destroy the current Dundalk team if they played against them despite the manager not having a clue on how to play or what position to play certain players in.

Packie Bonner - Donegal
Chris Morris - England
Mick McCarthy - England
Kevin Moran - Dublin
Paul McGrath - England
Stephen Staunton - Drogheda
Ray Houghton - England
Andy Townsend - England
Kevin Sheedy - Wales
John Aldridge - England
Tony Cascarino - England

Ireland team v England Italia 90 - terrible to rely on these "English born" players!!!
In don't know how people think Stan is a Drogheda man. He played for the Clans, Dominic's, lived and grew up in Ard Easmun and went to school in the Del La Salle. Surely a wind up?!?!

As for McClean, if he is our aspiring barometer, then we are truly goosed. Pat Fenlon as a potential replacement made me shudder!

Return to “General Discussion”