2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby El Paso » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Cork supposed to be all over Murray...

The League is our bread and butter and if all squads started next season as they are now, we would rightly be favourites. Cork need to make some impressive signings, as do Rovers.

I think SK has more than one eye on making the group stage of the Europa League again. He'll be very keen to have the squad to make that happen nailed down.

There are question marks over whether we'll be able to keep Gannon, Vemmelund, Benson, McEleney and McMillan or not, and we need to keep all of them really. We also need a talisman in the middle to replace O'Donnell and more firepower up front. So there's a lot to do, but if we can do all that we would be in fantastic shape.

There's only one word for that - magic darts...

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:18 pm

If we could nick a couple from Cork - Bolger and Dooley would be my picks. Have no idea what their contract situation is. Dooley has spoken of a desire to move back closer to home.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:00 pm

Why would you want bolger? He's been with us before... Nah!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Sneachta wrote:Why would you want bolger? He's been with us before... Nah!

I'm not a fab of Bolger's as I felt he was merely going through the motions when he was with us, but you can't really compare then to now as he was playing in a very very average Dundalk team to the team we are now. I think he would be a decent addition to our current squad now.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:34 pm

I don't think he would come to us would he? Is Dooley from this neck of the woods? I was not aware of that if so

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Would paddy madden of Scunthorpe be persuaded to come back to Ireland? He has been a consistent performer for Scunthorpe for years now. One last bash at Europe maybe?

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:04 pm

Dooley is from Derry region somewhere. If Clifford is released and Skips injury problems continue then we will need midfield reinforcements.
Both may have no interest in joining us, I'm sure the lure of champions league football will be a big pull

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Sneachta wrote:Would paddy madden of Scunthorpe be persuaded to come back to Ireland? He has been a consistent performer for Scunthorpe for years now. One last bash at Europe maybe?

Great call, but that would seem to be a real long shot

According to Wikipedia, Scunthorpe United paid an undisclosed fee, believed to be £300,000 in 2014. He is still only 27 and likely to be on a hefty contract.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby Sneachta » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sneachta wrote:Would paddy madden of Scunthorpe be persuaded to come back to Ireland? He has been a consistent performer for Scunthorpe for years now. One last bash at Europe maybe?

Great call, but that would seem to be a real long shot

According to Wikipedia, Scunthorpe United paid an undisclosed fee, believed to be £300,000 in 2014. He is still only 27 and likely to be on a hefty contract.
300k? Wow really? Did not know that! They'd have big enough budget alright. They've been close to promotion a couple of times to championship. He had an outstanding season to get yeovil promoted to the championship. Never really featured at that level though. Consistent at league one. Rory Gafney seems to be doing reasonably well at Bristol. He'd hardly be interested in a return either. SK I'm sure knows who he wants and who he can get.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:26 pm

Below is an extract from an Indo article about Stephen Kenny's plans for next season. It's almost as though he is sending out a health warning on McEleney to dissuade UK clubs

Kenny eager to persuade key players to commit to his Dundalk vision

McEleney, who has been outstanding this season, has attracted plenty of interest with Luton Town, Wigan and his former club Sunderland amongst the clubs monitoring his situation.

While the interest in the 24-year-old attacker doesn't surprise Kenny, he believes that he needs to prove that he is "durable" enough to cope with the demands of playing in England.
"The thing about Horgan and Towell was that they played 33 games a season," Kenny explained.

"They never missed a game, never missed a training session. That's what I had for a few years. They were so durable.
"Patrick's not as durable. He has had issues with groins and hamstrings in the past and he has to work hard to stay fit.

"He's not a natural athlete, like say Boyle or Towell or John Mountney, who could be out for six weeks and still come back and run all day.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ ... 30556.html
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:34 pm

The Sun also carried a similar piece to the Indo article while also name-checking Aaron Greens and Karl Sheppard as targets for next season

Kenny is already in the market himself, with Cork’s Karl Sheppard and Aaron Greene of Bray believed to be targets.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/15 ... e-dundalk/

The above Indo piece also suggest that SK has been trying to sign Shane Supple from Bohs
As well as keeping hold of his key men, speculation is mounting that Kenny could also persuade Bohs goalkeeper Shane Supple to move to Dundalk next season.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Sheppard?!?!
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:22 pm

The August SWAI player of the month Ronan Murray is a guy to be targeting. He'd be an excellent addition.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:17 am

El Paso wrote:Sheppard?!?!

That was my exact reaction too. Cork would hardly let him go in the first place to their main rivals - seems a bit random even for speculation. Supple is older than I thought at 30 but would certainly be an improvement on Sava to push Rogers and likely become first choice keeper. Rene Gilmartin has been bench warming for long enough that he could be persuaded to play LoI maybe.
While on the Watford/Essex connections Sean Murray would be some signing if European football could turn his head though it would be a long shot. He is wasted in that Colchester side as he'd have an eye for goal if they played anything like the way SK insists on.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:09 am

El Paso wrote:Sheppard?!?!

That was my exact reaction too. Cork would hardly let him go in the first place to their main rivals - seems a bit random even for speculation. Supple is older than I thought at 30 but would certainly be an improvement on Sava to push Rogers and likely become first choice keeper. Rene Gilmartin has been bench warming for long enough that he could come back to LoI maybe.
While on the Watford/Essex connections Sean Murray would be some signing if European football could turn his head though it would be a long shot. He is wasted in that Colchester side as he'd have an eye for goal if they played anything like the way SK insists on.

Return to “General Discussion”