2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:09 pm

dell wrote:That Hoban is without a club still there has to be a chance that he is still on the radar.

I understand that an deal was agreed in principle with Hoban, Presumably, subject to his fitness, I expect that will still happen for January

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:41 pm

dell wrote:That Hoban is without a club still there has to be a chance that he is still on the radar. People will worry about whether he can reclaim the form he showed with us, under SK i dont see why not. Akinade - phew what a divisive signing that would be!! Dunno what to think about that one. Ogbene was very impressive against Cork last week, he was very direct, athletic and importantly for the way we play mobile with pace - could he be converted to a strikers role ala Thierry Henry ;p

Ogbene still lives in Cork with his family. Met him in Aldi in his Limerick gear and asked him to do us a favour... got half a smile back so not claiming any credit for their win... Anyway I doubt he'd move too far.

Reporting on the Akinade case was banned by the trial judge, but you could find the detail online for a while. Not good. Don't think these things should be held over someone forever. But I wouldn't want to see him getting on with his life at our club, personally.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:57 pm

El Paso wrote:
dell wrote:That Hoban is without a club still there has to be a chance that he is still on the radar. People will worry about whether he can reclaim the form he showed with us, under SK i dont see why not. Akinade - phew what a divisive signing that would be!! Dunno what to think about that one. Ogbene was very impressive against Cork last week, he was very direct, athletic and importantly for the way we play mobile with pace - could he be converted to a strikers role ala Thierry Henry ;p

Ogbene still lives in Cork with his family. Met him in Aldi in his Limerick gear and asked him to do us a favour... got half a smile back so not claiming any credit for their win... Anyway I doubt he'd move too far.

Reporting on the Akinade case was banned by the trial judge, but you could find the detail online for a while. Not good. Don't think these things should be held over someone forever. But I wouldn't want to see him getting on with his life at our club, personally.

Whatever about his off the field past I would have concerns about Akinade's fitness and medical history. He seems to get his fair share of injuries and has/had a blood condition that kept him out most of the season. No doubting he can be unplayable at times though.

I've also heard that a deal for Hoban was done but he failed his medical and required surgery. If true I would expect to see him in January

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:17 pm

All interesting stuff above. The reports on the case in question are still available with names redacted due to the ages of all involved. Its complex for sure both as a case and the subsequent different arguments on signing a player with 'baggage'.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:32 pm

dell wrote:All interesting stuff above. The reports on the case in question are still available with names redacted due to the ages of all involved. Its complex for sure both as a case and the subsequent different arguments on signing a player with 'baggage'.

I have no wish to trigger a debate on the details of the court case and conviction, but suggesting it was "complex" could be taken as a suggestion that he did not commit the offenses. The details are readily available online still and it is a matter of record that he pleaded guilty before the courts.

Whether or not that should mean that the club refuse to consider signing him is an entirely different debate
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:15 am

Apologies! I certainly didnt intend to to imply that the verdict was in question and a guilty plea was certainly entered!!

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Akinade will never be a DFC player while Stephen Kenny is still at the helm.

Pat Hoban will have a bit to prove fitnesswise but with McMillan playing full 90 mins for the last few weeks it's very obvious that at least one more up top will be required and that's a minimum if David stays. A lot were calling for another striker before Kilduff left so we actually could be in a sitiuation where we would need 3 new strikers for next season! Not many strikers are suited to the one up top role but I have to say Hoban was one of the best and even better than David at holding up play and laying off

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:51 pm

Rumours of a Karl Sheppard deal being repeated with more conviction around Oriel Park. Perhaps it is simply the same rumour getting added to, but the word is that a deal has been verbally agreed

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Rumours of a Karl Sheppard deal being repeated with more conviction around Oriel Park. Perhaps it is simply the same rumour getting added to, but the word is that a deal has been verbally agreed

A very good player, and someone who has done particularly well against us in the last few seasons.
I dont really see where he would fit into our current set up. He plays mostly on the wing, and we have enough wingers for 2 teams.

....had a similar argument with you re Aaron Greene :)

Maybe Mountney is on the way out?

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:12 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:Rumours of a Karl Sheppard deal being repeated with more conviction around Oriel Park. Perhaps it is simply the same rumour getting added to, but the word is that a deal has been verbally agreed

A very good player, and someone who has done particularly well against us in the last few seasons.
I dont really see where he would fit into our current set up. He plays mostly on the wing, and we have enough wingers for 2 teams.

No argument here - I'm just repeating the rumour

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:

No argument here - I'm just repeating the rumour

Wrong choice of words on my behalf.

Sheppard would be a quality addition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:07 pm

Mountney is out injured with hamstring, prob wont play rest of season.

I`d def be interested in Shepherd, he would give us real options.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:24 pm

More on the Shepherd link in a few papers this am, the irish sun was one, another media source said a deal was done ! this seems to be gathering pace.

Think it was the sun that reported Cork will be in for a big rebuild next season if he leaves, and Bolger goes to Waterford, Bennett will prob retire (36) and Rovers after Beattie

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:03 am

One way to stop Sheppard playing well against us I suppose! And it weakens a rival struggling with forward options as it is.

He works hard and scores some crackers, but not enough for my liking.

Having said that he could play the front man in our preferred 4-2-3-1 pretty well in terms of bringing the 3 into play, even if he's not clinical himself. And he could be a good foil for McMillan if we reverted to a 4-4-2 in certain matches, which I wouldn't mind given the problems our '3' seem to have in higher intensity games.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 pm

I see Nico's agent is using Twitter to try and get a new club - or better offer. Even disclosed that there is a two year deal on the table.

https://twitter.com/NMFitba/status/920008610754826240

Return to “General Discussion”