2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Dane Massey is in contract to the end of 2018 season

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:21 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:It's called furthering your career. Full time professional contracts and the chance to be seen and signed by a bigger club. That's the reality.

Not so sure I would agree with you there Niall. Surely the League of Ireland has a higher profile at the moment. That's why we are losing players to the UK. Money might be better but that's about it.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:26 pm

Moving to Perth in Scotland and the chance of top 6 and maybe the odd cup semi final or final appearance wouldn't attract me, but they have been regulars in europe in recent seasons, is that a big enough incentive ?

I'd agree with OF, wages will probably be the only attraction. Most SPL clubs could outbid us for players, as easy as most Championship clubs could outbid all SPL clubs bar Celtic maybe.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:38 am

Worrying comments from Stephen Kenny

'FRUSTRATING' Stephen Kenny admits he fears losing Dundalk stars to clubs in the UK
St Johnstone have been tracking David McMillan and Robbie Benson while ace centre-back Niclas Vemmelund looks likely to move back to Scandinavia.

DUNDALK manager Stephen Kenny admits the lure of playing in the UK may prove irresistible for some of his star players.

Patrick McEleney, David McMillan, Robbie Benson and Niclas Vemmelund are just four of Kenny’s squad who will be out of contract at the end of the season.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/17 ... in-the-uk/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:18 pm

He could be playing the game here too. The message is "If you say you have a better offer, I accept it. There is a limit to what I will offer."

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:31 pm

I'd be surprised if McEleney has done enough to earn a move. He doesn't have the stamina like Towell and Horgan had and neither of them are pulling up trees over there as we know.

Considering McMillan is an architect and Benson is an actuary, moving to Scotland and longer journey north of Edinburgh than Dundalk is from Dublin don't seem to be smart moves for any post-football career with a profession. Can't see how the money on a 2 or 3 year deal is worth the risk of abandoning your chosen field for that long.

Vemmelund is gone unless the whole thing is a big bluff.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:38 pm

El Paso wrote:Vemmelund is gone unless the whole thing is a big bluff.

You are probably right - but it seems like an action replay of last closed season when he had an offer on the table from Dundalk for a long time before eventually accepting it in mid January

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Seems to be his wife has made up his mind, and they have already made plans to move back home for the winter I heard, very unlikely he will be back. Real pity, as would have loved to see him play centre in his style for a few more years. His type is a rarity in LOI.

Things might change if he doesn't get a club, but DFC can't be waiting forever.

Its def the worst part of the season for me, this hoping that certain players will re-sign / not leave etc, but that's what we get for only offering out one season contracts and when 2 year deals run down. The players / agents take full advantage of all of this too.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:22 am

If we are reasonably financially secure what is the disadvantage of offering 52 week contracts? Is there something beyond cash flow from home games that would prevent offering that carrot too to players. If a player is on 40k for the season so €1000pw for 40 weeks, does paying nearly €800 or 52 change the circumstance of the clubs strength in the contract? Players dont become free agents last day of the season so there is time to renegotiate, if they want to leave then the remainder on the contract is minimal to be bought out. Is it just the psychological security of being paid 52 weeks even if the money is the same. Are there tax implication etc. If Cork are moving to 52 week contracts why do they see that as the way forward? 2 and 3 year contracts its obvious the benefits as long as there isnt a financial lean patch.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:03 am

Many players have drawn Social Welfare payments over the 12 weeks + of the closed season. If the budget for a player is 40k they would be better off financially getting this over 40 weeks and either drawing Social Welfare or part-time work (or both) over the closed season.

The move towards 52 week contracts is more related to a perceived higher level of professionalism. It also changes the picture substantially attracting players from the UK.

Whether a contact is for 40 weeks or 52 weeks per season is no barrier to signing a 2 or 3 year deal

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Shane Supple is not signing - at least not before 2020 season

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/17 ... -cornwall/

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby Sneachta » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Shane Supple is not signing - at least not before 2020 season

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/17 ... -cornwall/
Well ya know, personally I'm not convinced of Supple. He's good, but is he better than rogers? I don't believe so. Gary has been of great consistent service with a bit of a blip last year. He can play for another 4/5 years. The problem is back up. Sava? We know what we get. Is it young Kelly from Faughart that's third choice? Will he ever get a look in based on our record of blooding home grown youth? Not in the foreseeable future. Supple clearly Keen on staying at bohs and bohs have done a Bray on it like with Dylan Connolly. With 10 teams in the league next year, it could be a nightmare year for bohs next year. Cornwall on the other hand is a beast of a centre half and I think he'd be an excellent understudy to Gartland.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Just announced that Gartland and Shields have signed two year deals

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby Sneachta » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Shoco wrote:Just announced that Gartland and Shields have signed two year deals
Just saw that. Goes to.show the nonsense of "rumours" that rovers looking to sign gartland. He's a loyal/local Dundalk man now. ;-) Great to sign Chris too. Well done DFC

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Shoco wrote:Just announced that Gartland and Shields have signed two year deals

The 2 year deals are significant, particularly in Brian Gartland's case - he will be turning 33 when his new contract expires.

He has had plenty of negative comments, particularly around some goals conceded in Europe - but very little of the criticism has come from Dundalk supporters

Return to “General Discussion”