2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:56 pm

Oldham looking for a fee for McEleney. Should we pay it?

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:Oldham looking for a fee for McEleney. Should we pay it?

NO

Rovers, I'm told have already made a bid but his preferred move would be here.

Play hard ball and maybe take him on loan until the end of season. Hes done very little since his move to warrant a fee. A loan deal would get him off their wage bill (majority of his wages anyway) with the hope if he does do well here it will increase his value.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 pm

bigalan wrote:
Martin Lawlor80 wrote:Oldham looking for a fee for McEleney. Should we pay it?

NO

Rovers, I'm told have already made a bid but his preferred move would be here.

Play hard ball and maybe take him on loan until the end of season. Hes done very little since his move to warrant a fee. A loan deal would get him off their wage bill (majority of his wages anyway) with the hope if he does do well here it will increase his value.

YES! Provided he signs At least a 3-4 yr deal.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Only in Ireland could a transfer policy exist to put players on short term deals, let them leave for free, and then re-sign them from a bankrupt club for a transfer fee.
McEleney left us to join a shitshow of a club, quite late if I remember, giving SK little or no time to find a suitable replacement. Adorjan and McGrath are terrific players and I would be happier if we signed Adorjan on a 18 month deal.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:15 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Only in Ireland could a transfer policy exist to put players on short term deals, let them leave for free, and then re-sign them from a bankrupt club for a transfer fee.
McEleney left us to join a shitshow of a club, quite late if I remember, giving SK little or no time to find a suitable replacement. Adorjan and McGrath are terrific players and I would be happier if we signed Adorjan on a 18 month deal.

Well that's it, he'd be behind McGrath and Adorjan in the pecking order in my opinion. Stronger squad but not worth a transfer fee and then a high wage. Maybe and just maybe if he signs a three and a half year deal like someone mentioned
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:27 pm

A striker is top priority.

Central midfielder & right winger come next.

MxEleney would be an excellent squad addition,
but depending on contract situation with Adorjan is hardly the most pressing issue
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:41 pm

Agree with above, attacking midfield is literally the last position on the pitch that requires strengthening. I'd only sign him back for no fee and only if there were fears we were going to lose Duffy at the end of the season. A beautiful player in many ways, with the sort of goals that remind us why we watch football. But he never once dug a game out for us when the pressure was on in my memory.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Ezeikial wrote:A striker is top priority.

Central midfielder & right winger come next.

MxEleney would be an excellent squad addition,
but depending on contract situation with Adorjan is hardly the most pressing issue

Dylan Watts has been released. He would certainly be worth a look...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... ws-1657677

Central midfielder Dylan Watts has also been let go. Another 21-year-old, Watts has been on loan at Bohemians in his native Ireland since January, having also made just two appearances for City’s under-23s in the campaign just gone.

cob655
Reserves
Reserves

Postby cob655 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:47 pm

El Paso wrote:Agree with above, attacking midfield is literally the last position on the pitch that requires strengthening. I'd only sign him back for no fee and only if there were fears we were going to lose Duffy at the end of the season. A beautiful player in many ways, with the sort of goals that remind us why we watch football. But he never once dug a game out for us when the pressure was on in my memory.

bate borisov fc was a different class when he came off the bench, taking it around 2 and 3 players at a time.

Still often nonexistent in some big games, but when on form the best player in the league imo.
C'mon the town!!!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:46 pm

Gavin McLaughlin/Dundalk Sport with the latest updates on potential signings

DFC | Kenny: McEleney return unlikely
25-year-old still has two years to run on his deal at Oldham

https://dundalksport.ie/dfc-kenny-mcele ... 4d847533ab
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby punkha » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:21 am

Agree with most of the above.
While it would be nice to have him back I certainly wouldnt go mad to get him back and definitely don't think we should pay a cent in a transfer fee..would be crazy 6 months after him leaving for nothing.
As good as he can be he's also a bit of a luxury player and I think we have a bit better shape this season overall.
As a few said if it was a choice between keeping Adjoran & McEleney id like us to keep the Hungarian. He's only getting into full flow now but he really looks like he could be a serious player for us.
Hope young Kelly comes aboard also he really seems to know where the goal is and should be a great longer term prospect.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:14 pm

punkha wrote:Agree with most of the above.
While it would be nice to have him back I certainly wouldnt go mad to get him back and definitely don't think we should pay a cent in a transfer fee..would be crazy 6 months after him leaving for nothing.
As good as he can be he's also a bit of a luxury player and I think we have a bit better shape this season overall.
As a few said if it was a choice between keeping Adjoran & McEleney id like us to keep the Hungarian. He's only getting into full flow now but he really looks like he could be a serious player for us.
Hope young Kelly comes aboard also he really seems to know where the goal is and should be a great longer term prospect.

Agree totally & in particular Adorjan, he's turning into a class player for us. I'd earlier thought bringing MC Eleney back would be a good thing however, on reflection, there were a number of big games where I'm afraid he didn't turn up. It's Adorjan for me & in Europe we may see him at his best.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:11 am

Daniel McDonnell on Patrick McEleney and Georgie Kelly

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 04275.html

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 am

Ezeikial wrote:Daniel McDonnell on Patrick McEleney and Georgie Kelly

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 04275.html

The sun running a similar story, saying that Kelly could be loaned back to UCD for the rest of the season.
Same article says that us, Rovers and Waterford interested in Dylan Watts.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 am

Neil O'Riordan in The Irish Sun is reporting that Dundalk are interested in Dylan Watts and that the Georgie Kelly deal could involve a loan back to UCD for the rest of the season. I can't see the sense in that unless it was a necessity to make the deal happen

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/27 ... lan-watts/

Return to “General Discussion”