2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:34 pm

With Stephen Kenny already discussing 2018 contracts with players, perhaps it is appropriate to open up this thread to track and discuss the 2018 season

Niclas Vemmelund has already stone walled question on whether he will re-sign, but has acknowledged that he has been offered a deal.

The common wisdom towards the end of last season was that we needed to strengthen at Goalkeeper, Right Wing and Striker. That was before the departure of Boyle, Horgan, & Finn or the various new signings.

Presumably we still need to make signings in the 3 positions already mentioned with a new energetic midfield player.

What positions do you think need strengthening and suggestions on the players who could fill those places?

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 pm

As an interesting aside Dermot Keely already has us marked as favourities for

DERMOT KEELY Dundalk are favourites for next year’s title since Cork City lost Sean Maguire
Preston have played a key role in deciding this year's title after signing Andy Boyle and Daryl Horgan and will do again next year
By Dermot Keely
22nd August 2017, 10:30 pm

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/14 ... n-maguire/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:16 am

It appears the question of Pat Hoban signing with a view to being ready for next season is doing the rounds again. Anyone else hear anything?

condor
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby condor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:43 am

I heard that Hoban would have signed before the transfer deadline but he needs knee surgery and would
be out of action until the new year.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:01 am

It makes sense now. I knew he had failed the medical but not why. If he can get back to previous level, that makes us quite potent up front.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:38 am

I'd be very interested in McEneff, definitely Hoban if he is in good shape but we also need a holding MF man, Clifford should be leaving so that's a wage freed up. We need a keeper too either a new no 1 or at least one to challenge Rogers. O'Malley would have been perfect but I'd take a look at Supple maybe. Cork might also be on the look out as McNulty is 36 I think.

Depends who stays on other players in. There will probably be the usual annual interest in Gannon from Rovers and with his based in Ringsend that needs to be sorted quickly. I'd be offering him a 2 year deal min. Vemmenlund would be an obvious must keep, but he seems to be holding cards close to his chest. With his age though, I'm not sure I'd see him move abroad? That's another 2 year deal if he would sign it.

The other thing to consider is, most of the new 2017 signings will be completely integrated by then, they are mostly there now after a slow enough start so that's another plus to look forward too. We probably haven't seen the best from McGrath but he will come good.

I'd definitely agree with Keely in the Irish Sun, I think we will start off as league favourites next season. 4 titles in 5 seasons would be some achievement.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:30 am

mike wrote:I'd definitely agree with Keely in the Irish Sun, I think we will start off as league favourites next season. 4 titles in 5 seasons would be some achievement.

I don't see how we can possibly be favorites when we don't even know what kind of side we can put out. We lose McEleney, Vemmelund and Gannon and it'll be a struggle again. If we don't lose anyone we want to keep and get one or two in, I think we'll have a good chance.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:19 am

In hindsight yes I would agree with that, but my assumption on favs would be on if we can keep Gannon, Vemmelund, McEleney, McMillan etc and getting a few more in, but having Kenny on board for 3 more years is another huge plus.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:06 am

Whatever about being favourites or not - I agree with L4S, that it is impossible to call now - the basic point that Dermot Keely makes is sound. Cork appear considerably weaker without Maguire and O'Connor and may struggle to replace them. On the other hand, currently we look much stronger than in the early part of the season as players have settled in and the injury list has largely cleared. Right now we appear to be the form team in the league

As always the respective contract renewals and transfer will play a huge part in the prospects for 2018.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Ezeikial wrote:With Stephen Kenny already discussing 2018 contracts with players, perhaps it is appropriate to open up this thread to track and discuss the 2018 season

Niclas Vemmelund has already stone walled question on whether he will re-sign, but has acknowledged that he has been offered a deal.

The common wisdom towards the end of last season was that we needed to strengthen at Goalkeeper, Right Wing and Striker. That was before the departure of Boyle, Horgan, & Finn or the various new signings.

Presumably we still need to make signings in the 3 positions already mentioned with a new energetic midfield player.

What positions do you think need strengthening and suggestions on the players who could fill those places?

why do you keep harping on about a new keeper? Rogers is a good keeper. what exactly has he done wrong this season? He had a time last season were he made some errors and got dropped. He has done little if anything wrong this season.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:02 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:With Stephen Kenny already discussing 2018 contracts with players, perhaps it is appropriate to open up this thread to track and discuss the 2018 season

why do you keep harping on about a new keeper? Rogers is a good keeper. what exactly has he done wrong this season? He had a time last season were he made some errors and got dropped. He has done little if anything wrong this season.

I don't know about the "harping on" bit! I simply reflected that many people believed that we needed strengthening in that position mentioned last year - as also reflected in your own comment about him making errors and getting dropped.

Rogers has done well this season and is contracted for next season, but many (probably including SK) believe that stronger competition than currently on offer would be a step forward

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Rogers has had a good season, and I was only looking at the goals against column the other day, we have 19 against, 4 of those was when Sava was in goal 2-1 v Rovers and 1-3 v Derry, so add in his clean sheets ( now more than McNulty) and this backs up his good season.

I would still go for another keeper though in place of Sava, we need much better quality in there to challenge Rogers for league games. It could be argued that a better keeper would have done more against Rosenborg away but that's probably a little harsh.

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:50 pm

mike wrote:Rogers has had a good season, and I was only looking at the goals against column the other day, we have 19 against, 4 of those was when Sava was in goal 2-1 v Rovers and 1-3 v Derry, so add in his clean sheets ( now more than McNulty) and this backs up his good season.

I would still go for another keeper though in place of Sava, we need much better quality in there to challenge Rogers for league games. It could be argued that a better keeper would have done more against Rosenborg away but that's probably a little harsh.

Rogers has definitely come good but Sava really scares me. I do believe we need better back up for Rogers.
What standard is Ben Kelly? He never seems to be considered.
The Back of the Wall

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby Sneachta » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:41 pm

mike wrote:Rogers has had a good season, and I was only looking at the goals against column the other day, we have 19 against, 4 of those was when Sava was in goal 2-1 v Rovers and 1-3 v Derry, so add in his clean sheets ( now more than McNulty) and this backs up his good season.

You're right, that is harsh.

As we now know, Gannon was concussed ten minutes earlier and clearly was wobbly after the knock he got. As apparent by the ball he gave away, ball kicked over the sideline and that he got caught the wrong side of the attacker for the goal. Rogers could've done a bit better but I'd hold Gannon's positioning as the number one reason for the fault for that goal.

ANYWAY..... Another keeper replacing Sava would be a good option. Big Joe Sheridan maybe?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:54 am

Good point on Gannon being out of position and getting that knock, that clearly opened the channel for them to attack down that left side and it did lead to the goal.

In summary I think most of us can agree, Rogers has had a very good season, he is using his experience well now in most games.

Ps Ronan Murray from Galway might be worth a look ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronan_Murray_(footballer)

Return to “General Discussion”