2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby oldfogey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 pm

The big question will be which jersey they change. Normally you do one each year to keep the turnover going. Last year's new contract meant home and away were both launched together. Personally I would prefer to keep the home one for another year, but that's probably the one they will change, then maybe launch a new away one for Europe.

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:44 pm

oldfogey wrote:The big question will be which jersey they change. Normally you do one each year to keep the turnover going. Last year's new contract meant home and away were both launched together. Personally I would prefer to keep the home one for another year, but that's probably the one they will change, then maybe launch a new away one for Europe.

As far as I know it's both home and away.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby GC. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:13 am

oldfogey wrote:The big question will be which jersey they change. Normally you do one each year to keep the turnover going. Last year's new contract meant home and away were both launched together. Personally I would prefer to keep the home one for another year, but that's probably the one they will change, then maybe launch a new away one for Europe.

You want to keep the home jersey for a third season?

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:33 am

The home jersey will be changing lads, I haven't seen it but almost sure that's the one that will be launching before xmas.

Some new players in them would be nice too !!

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 am

mike wrote:The home jersey will be changing lads, I haven't seen it but almost sure that's the one that will be launching before xmas.

They're both changing. Home one is white (surprise, surprise) with black flashes coming up from the bottom - similar to Bray's shirt. Away is black and grey.

Will we see Miele and McEniff in them soon???

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:52 am

GC. wrote:

You want to keep the home jersey for a third season?

If you make a contentious statement you're bound to flush out someone who has the info!

shedsteve
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedsteve » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:15 pm

I wonder if our out of contract players and indeed potential new signings are waiting for news on the investment and thinking I might be able to get better money if Peak6 invest so i'll hold out for another while.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:30 pm

That crossed my mind too!

buster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby buster » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:35 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote:
mike wrote:The home jersey will be changing lads, I haven't seen it but almost sure that's the one that will be launching before xmas.

They're both changing. Home one is white (surprise, surprise) with black flashes coming up from the bottom - similar to Bray's shirt. Away is black and grey.

Will we see Miele and McEniff in them soon???

Hope that's not the design of the new home shirt ,I just hated the bray shirt just didn't look great like something that was dyed and turned out wrong.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:06 pm

No wouldn't be a fan either of that black on the Bray top, hopefully its only limited flashing, but for me there is nothing better than a classic all white shirt, one of the best we had was the euro one in 2015 I think, the limited edition one that was the inverse of the black one. Pretty sure was only worn once at home, v Bate, 0-0 draw.

The Undertaker
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The Undertaker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:31 pm

If anyone actually thinks that SK is sitting around doing nothing watching teams sign other players then you really are stupid.

Miele is out of contract this year and 23 so we would need to pay a nominal training fee but McEneff is not out of contract until the end of next season and Derry wouldn't in their right senses sell to us unless we pay an obscene amount of money.
There ain't no grave can hold my body down.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm not afraid that Kenny is doing nothing. Personally just hoping that we're not going to get caught out by players using us for leverage where we think someone is lined up (be it a current or new player) only to see it fall through last minute
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:43 pm

I think Stephen Kenny is a genius manager and is especially gifted in identifying and signing hungry promising players.

But there are aspects of recruitment that concern me. Last season for example, there was the failing to retain or replace Ronan Finn. Arguably other quality experienced signings were also needed to bolster other areas of weakness and did not materialise, resulting in the league title race being all but over at the half way point.

I have confidence in Stephen Kenny, but like most people here, I am fearful that we may end up being weaker going into next season than how we finished this season
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:38 pm

In the big post-mortem of the season I really do think there was a large element of bad luck involved:

We had lost Boyle, but replaced him with Hoare and Vemmelund - both smart signings I believe.
We had lost Horgan but replaced him with McGrath and Duffy - both will be excellent too I think - and McEleney was going to step up to be this year's Towell/Horgan
The big shock was losing Finn, but the expectation was that Benson would step up there and Clifford was supposed to be the big midfield signing.

So all ok in theory despite the limited pre-season and Finn shock.

1. The disaster was Rogers, Shields, and McMillan missing the start of the season and O'Donnell getting crocked first match. Suddenly we're not replacing three, we're replacing seven and rotating back in the injured players took time, while our results went south in April and May.
2. Kenny getting bogged down in mind games over referees was an own goal.
3. Then the delay in replacing Barrett with Vemmelund - season was as good as over by the time Vemmelund and Gartland were the regular paring, we only conceded SEVEN goals in the League in 16 matches after Barrett was dropped for good and four of those were the last two games.
4. Finally Clifford being a complete let down when we essentially needed someone to be a half-Finn, half-O'Donnell in the middle.

So anyway we know we need signings, there are a couple of things to fix and we don't know who we're losing yet. But we were AMAZEBALLS after the mid-season break. Shouldn't forget that.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:28 pm

Excellent post El Paso and absolutely on-the-money in identifying the bad luck with a lengthy injury list at the start of the season as being a key reason for a slow start to the season,

A common consensus towards the end of the 2015 season (before we lost Horgan, Boyle & Finn) was that the squad needed to be strengthened in at least 3 areas - central striker, goalkeeper and right wing. The lack of signings in these areas and the failure to keep or replace Finn proved to be significant.

Hopefully we don't suffer a similar fate in this close season
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Return to “General Discussion”