2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby El Paso » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:42 pm

I think we have adequate replacements for McEleney. I’m expecting big things from McGrath and attacking midfield is not the priority. A big central midfield signing is still needed.

There's only one word for that - magic darts...

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:11 pm

Adequate doesn't win titles. We need better than cork to reclaim our title. I think we need replacements for mceleney, and mcmillan. Still not convinced by Connolly and we need a big strong imposing central midfielder.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:38 pm

I think McGrath has a great opportunity to stake a claim for that no 10 role now, and to be fair he was excelllent in that position away to Rovers in the cup semi replay.

We still need at least 2 more top top quality players for midfield and upfront which will include a player for more options. I’m not sure if McGrath can completely replace McEleneny but he can certainly do a good job. We also need a decent squad player to cover Stewart. We will have 36 league games, hopefully at least 4, maybe 6 Euro games, add in cup matches and that’s 50+ games from Feb to Nov.

We will need every player we have.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:12 pm

With McEleney and McMillan gone. There are so many goals lost now. I can't see Hoban getting anywhere near McMillans amount and McGrath I am not so sure either can match fats amount of goals.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:27 am

Conar McDonald back from USA and signs with Cliftonville
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Is this the first time in our history that we have no locals in the senior squad?

Shocking

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:46 pm

Why is it shocking? If they arent good enough or think they are too good to bide their time waiting for their chance then so be it. every player who dons the famous lilywhite jersey is an honourary Dundalk man anyway. Look at Martin Lawlor as the prime example of this. I don't see 2 meath men 2 galwegians a mayo man whatever amount of dubs. I just see a squad trying their best for the jersey and for us as supporters.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby Sneachta » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:27 pm

dell wrote:Things definitely not right between Forrester and his manager. Being pulled off after 46 minutes, unless for an injury, is humiliating. A shot at that transfer isnt completely dead. Madden is a decent shout. Id say SK has his targets in the pipline as one thing we know is that very little if anything gets leaked from Oriel these days. Id hope to hear things over the next week as we are getting damn close to pre-season and the early league start.
Probably more to do with a change in tactics considering they were against 9 men for a good chunk of the game. He's playing well today.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:36 pm

I have to agree with Niall, for me it’s talent first, where you are from next. It would be nice to have a few in the squad but only if they are good enough and better than anyone else around.

Local players have served us well, but very few have actually held down regular starting places when we won a major honour since Barry Kehoe and Dessie Gorman in double winning season of 1988

David Crawley played a lot in the 1995 league winning season and he captained us to the FAI Cup win in 2002, all others were squad players, I know that was the comment ‘No local seniors in the current squad’ but it’s not to say we won’t have in the future, it just happens to be for 2018, and that’s hardly shocking. (But I’m think JG remark is a bit of fun only)

I think I read though on twitter that Jim Murphy did confirm it did just happen to be a first.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby mike » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Sneachta wrote:
dell wrote:Things definitely not right between Forrester and his manager. Being pulled off after 46 minutes, unless for an injury, is humiliating. A shot at that transfer isnt completely dead. Madden is a decent shout. Id say SK has his targets in the pipline as one thing we know is that very little if anything gets leaked from Oriel these days. Id hope to hear things over the next week as we are getting damn close to pre-season and the early league start.
Probably more to do with a change in tactics considering they were against 9 men for a good chunk of the game. He's playing well today.

Yes I think you are probably right there. He’s lasted the full 90 today.

Ps I noticed Richie managed to get the no 17 jersey for Rotherham, players are deadly for this kind of thing.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Richie is getting serious game time at Rotherham. That's 3 games in a row he's played 90 minutes. Very happy for him. Clearly well thought of by manager and judging by his celebration with team mates after a late goal a couple of games ago, he's enjoying himself. Delighted for him.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:31 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:Why is it shocking? If they arent good enough or think they are too good to bide their time waiting for their chance then so be it. every player who dons the famous lilywhite jersey is an honourary Dundalk man anyway. Look at Martin Lawlor as the prime example of this. I don't see 2 meath men 2 galwegians a mayo man whatever amount of dubs. I just see a squad trying their best for the jersey and for us as supporters.

What has Martin lawlor got to do with it?

I normally don't get into the local debate with DFC but for us to have no locals in our senior squad is a shocking indication of how weak our schoolboy teams are and is there really no talent coming through. The idea that there is not even one person good enough in the area (north Louth, south monaghan) is mind boggling.

I hope it is only a minor blip and the elite underage leagues improve the quality of footballers in the area or is it going to be malahide playing under a dfc umbrella.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:02 pm

Johnny. Mccormack is good enough but he decided to play with Cork. The O'Connors decided they didnt want to be squad players and flew the nest. There are 3 examoles of players from the area who are could enough but ultimately decided themselves that they wont aign for Dundalk in McCormack's stance and won't fight for their places in the O'Connors decisions.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:42 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:Johnny. Mccormack is good enough but he decided to play with Cork. The O'Connors decided they didnt want to be squad players and flew the nest. There are 3 examoles of players from the area who are could enough but ultimately decided themselves that they wont aign for Dundalk in McCormack's stance and won't fight for their places in the O'Connors decisions.

When was McCormack offered a contract?

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:03 pm

Grimes too. Think he was offered a contract but it didn’t suit him. While it would be great to have a Lisbon Lions squad, if it is not to be it so be it. As Mike pointed out , the only real notable locals over 30 yrs are Barry, Dessie and David Crawley. Pro football is about the shirt and a bonus if that’s where you come from

Return to “General Discussion”