2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby El Paso » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:11 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:10 weeks to pre season? Season starts mid Feb. I would imagine pre season starts on the 2nd/3rd Jan.

OK 8 weeks.

Just saying we have til Christmas seeing as registration won't even happen until December

There's only one word for that - magic darts...

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:21 pm

I heard the closed season is the longest in the Europe, possibly even the world, runs from end of October to end of Feb, that's almost 4 full months.

I would agree on pre season, has to be early Jan, Rovers are back end of Dec I think.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 pm

I have to say I'm at an absolute loss this week, still feel awful about the defeat in the final, then to hear Sheppard has re-signed for Cork, who then announce the signings of McNamee & Adebayo-Rowling within 3 days of the match, along with the re-signings of McCormack, Morrissey & Keohane announced before the final. In comparison Dundalk's only post-cup final update contains the following line: "Today, the better team lost. It happens. We will move on." which is not only complete b****x but also just smacks of unprofessionalism & lacks class, even if it was heat of the aftermath of a dissapointing loss I'd understand but how is it still left up there 3 days after the fact?.

Cork also have their season ticket prices released and available to purchase (as do Derry & Shamrock Rovers) and had them advertised on the advertising hoardings in the Aviva on Sunday with a clever, albeit cringe-worthy, bit of marketing #SignedFor2018 while also using that to announce their players.

We are being left way behind both on the pitch and off the pitch it seems so far. I have faith in SK and Dundalk FC as a whole but this has been an incredibly frustrating week for the fans. I apologise for my rant but I just can't believe how behind Cork we seem to be...
Mon the Town!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Where do we think we are anyway? Who do we think will stay (given some are already signed), who do we think will go (how much do you believe the rumours?), who would you like to see replace them?... Combination of guesswork

Rogers - Stay
Sava - Going (Replacement?)

Gannon - Going (Replacement?)
Gartland - Stay
Hoare - Stay
Massey - Stay
Barrett - Going
Vemmelund - Going (Replacement?)
Grimes - Stay

O'Donnell - Stay
Shields - Stay
Benson - Stay
Clifford - Going (McEneff?)
Kinsella - Going
Connolly - Stay
McEleney - Stay
Mountney - Stay
Duffy - Stay
McGrath - Stay
Poynton - Loan again? (just because he won't get a look in I'd say)

McMillan - Stay
Stewart - Going (Greene?)
O'Connor - Loan again?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:35 pm

It makes more sense to have the season tickets and the marketing push ready to go at the end of the month when notions of present buying really kick in. How many Rovers fans are seriously shelling out for theirs this week?

leesider
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby leesider » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:27 pm

It's ridiculous to say we are already ahead of the rest because we have signed a couple of players straight after the season ended. A lot could happen between now and the start of next season.
Fair dues to Caulfield he has moved quickly and is obviously already thinking of next season. We are in dire need of a striker and a centre-back so I hope there is some money left in the piggy bank for that.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:01 pm

El Paso wrote:Where do we think we are anyway? Who do we think will stay (given some are already signed), who do we think will go (how much do you believe the rumours?), who would you like to see replace them?... Combination of guesswork

Rogers - Stay

Gartland - Stay
Hoare - Stay
Massey - Stay
Barrett - Going
Grimes - Stay

O'Donnell - Stay
Shields - Stay
Benson - Stay
Kinsella - Going
Connolly - Stay
McEleney - Stay
Mountney - Stay
Duffy - Stay
McGrath - Stay

McMillan - Stay
O'Connor - Loan again?

El Paso wrote:Where do we think we are anyway? Who do we think will stay (given some are already signed), who do we think will go (how much do you believe the rumours?), who would you like to see replace them?... Combination of guesswork

Rogers - Stay

Gartland - Stay
Hoare - Stay
Massey - Stay
Barrett - Going
Grimes - Stay

O'Donnell - Stay
Shields - Stay
Benson - Stay
Kinsella - Going
Connolly - Stay
McEleney - Stay
Mountney - Stay
Duffy - Stay
McGrath - Stay

McMillan - Stay
O'Connor - Loan again?

Good post EL. Maybe edit if you have time and put in bold or change to 'staying' those already under contract for next year like O'Donnell, Shields, Gartland, Hoare, McGrath, Duffy, Connolly, Massey, & Rogers, I think that's all the contracted players.

I'd agree with all the 'stays' but Gannon seems on his way for one.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:07 pm

leesider wrote:It's ridiculous to say we are already ahead of the rest because we have signed a couple of players straight after the season ended. A lot could happen between now and the start of next season.
Fair dues to Caulfield he has moved quickly and is obviously already thinking of next season. We are in dire need of a striker and a centre-back so I hope there is some money left in the piggy bank for that.

Essentially McNamee (good player btw) is a replacement for Bolger who by all accounts had fallen out with JC, Sheppard is a bonus as Cork probably thought he was going, the lad from Sligo, Tobi? He's a good addition. Cost almost 20k though. Bennet is a fair old age for a 2 year contract, but part of this is club duties I think.

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:04 pm

ArFella wrote:We are being left way behind both on the pitch and off the pitch it seems so far. I have faith in SK and Dundalk FC as a whole but this has been an incredibly frustrating week for the fans. I apologise for my rant but I just can't believe how behind Cork we seem to be...

There IS a big deal being worked on, doesn't mean it will happen but if it does everyone will be happy.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 am

Are you talking about a potential player incoming or is this linked to the speculation on the proposed takeover?

McGregor
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McGregor » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Have to say impressed with Cork doing their business early and they've made good signings both new and renewals, it gives them a solid basis to go forward. To be fair with UK window not opening to January it further complicates our situation with McEleney, McMillan and Benson possibly waiting on offers. At the very least I'd like to see us move early on the positions we know need to be covered, centre half and centre forward.
I know its only speculation but this talk of Gannon needs to be put to bed now,we can't have a repeat of the Finn fiasco and lose real quality with no time to find a decent replacement. Not overly disappointed with Sheppard, he's a good player but tbh I would prefer Dooley, Miele or Greene.
As for pre season I was talking to Conor McCormack over Christmas last year and at that stage Cork had already got three weeks testing and training behind them. In the era of 52 week contracts four weeks off now and a wee break for the holidays would be adequate

McGregor
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McGregor » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:27 pm

ffs. now Horgan to Cork, one of the few I would have fancied to replace Gannon

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:31 pm

I wouldn't see Horgan going in as no 1 for the right back, that lad Tobi? they got from Sligo should be their first choice there.

Players I'd to see would be McEniff and Barry (both Derry, the latter to replace Vemmelund), Greene and Murray too, but are Cork sniffing around the ones in bold too ?

Why are we waiting so long btw this week when our main rival has been so busy? Surely we could at least make contact with players if other key staff are on holiday.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:00 pm

mike wrote:Why are we waiting so long btw this week when our main rival has been so busy? Surely we could at least make contact with players if other key staff are on holiday.

Are you suggesting that SK has not made contact with any players?

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk10 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 pm

mike wrote:Are you talking about a potential player incoming or is this linked to the speculation on the proposed takeover?

Player

Return to “General Discussion”