2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2018 Rumours / Transfers / Renewals

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:12 pm

I'd say that only Rogers, Gannon, Duffy and maybe Benson could be confident/comfortable about selection at this point.

Benson has competition from a number of players for one of the two attacking midfield places - Adorjan, Chvedukas, McGrath, before you even consider a change in formation that could see others put him under pressure.

Gartland is definitely under pressure with four centre backs competing for 2 places.

Massey is probably under the most intense pressure from the 6 players you list - his poor form over most of last season combined with the quality that Jarvis brings.

Competition for places is a good thing

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:44 pm

For me Gartland is our number one then one of the other two .

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:41 pm

paul1 wrote:For me Gartland is our number one then one of the other two .

Me too, but it's SK's opinion that matters!
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:00 pm

What I find odd about our exotic signings of Chvedukas, Adorjan and now Tagbajumi is that we have no idea if they're expected to be in our first choice 11. You'd imagine they weren't signed to sit on the bench. Same with Cleary and Byrne.

I believe in centre backs as a pair, so it could be that Hoare & Folan make a better partnership than Garts and one of the others, for example. Boyle was so good he made both Garts and Barrett look good, and a part of me thinks Vemmelund made Garts better when he replaced Barrett.

Benson and Massey both need to improve from last season and shouldn't be considered guaranteed starters.

Could be miles off but I wonder if Jarvis could be converted to midfield if needs be?

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Times change, don't they? Six years ago we were living in hope. Now we live in expectation.
The Back of the Wall

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:09 pm

I dont think having expectations is a bad thing when we re-established ourselves as one of the top teams in the league. Its when complacency or a sense of entitlement kicks in with some supporters, then its time to be concerned

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:12 pm

Demo piece on Marco Tagbajumi

New Dundalk FC striker Marco Tagbajumi is "excited and ready to go" having made his debut at Shamrock Rovers on Friday night.

The Nigerian forward signed a one-year deal with the Lilywhites last Wednesday, becoming Stephen Kenny's 10th new addition, having last played for Norwegian top-flight side Lillestrøm. His most recent match having been December's Cup final in Norway where he collected a winners medal.

Speaking to The Dundalk Democrat on his move, Tagbajumi revealed the lure of European football played a central part in his decision to pen a deal with Dundalk.

"I spoke to Stephen (Kenny), the manager, and he really gave me a good vibe and assured me that this is a good move. I said 'why not', I was happy to get a new experience and, of course, the team are going to Europe and that's a big incentive," he said

"I didn't know anything about Ireland, but when I came down, just the way that normal people are, they're just so friendly. I've never met so many friendly people in my life. It's a place where I can be happy and that's what assured me to come here.

"The most important thing for me is to come in and do the best for the team. I'm not really focused on scoring the goals, I don't really mind who scores the goals. The most important thing is that we win as a team," Tagbajumi added.

The 29-year-old, who holds Italian citizenship, has played for a variety of different clubs including AEL Limassol of Cyprus and Norwegian outfit Strømsgodset, and has scored 44 goals in 123 career matches.

Although he didn't watch Dundalk's matches with Rosenborg - a side whom he's very familiar with from his time in Norway - in last year's Champions League qualifiers, he appreciates the Lilywhites' performance in running the Trondheim side so close. His desire is to reach his peak with his new club, with the league title his aim.

"They do say that strikers get better between 29 and 32. If it is my peak period, I'm not sure as I'm a bit of a late bloomer as well because I only went professional at 21.

"What I hope to achieve at Dundalk is to give it 100%, do my best, try to get into Europe with the team and win the league if we can. That's the main goal.

"We are a very strong team, we are a very new team. Every new player needs to gel and that takes, of course, a little bit of time. But all the guys are top-notch, they're a top team," said Tagbajumi.

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/nat ... lk-fc.html

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Conor Clifford - Interesting to read that SK and Skip have both been in touch with him

“Treated Like A Criminal, Conor Clifford Just Wants To Play”

http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/201 ... ants-play/

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:28 pm

To be honest ezeikial he might be worth another punt. You don't know the pressure he was under when here.. But then again in the article it appears he only knew about it when the ban was being imposed. But we definitely need something different in midfield.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:04 pm

I think, and I count myself as one, a lot of people got this wrong about him, these bets he placed were very modest and from the time I read about it, the bets placed was nothing out of the ordinary, and would be similar to what a few lads down the pub would place most weekends. The problem is as we know, he was caught and players (even if loads bet under pseudo names) are banned from it.

I remember hearing reports from Sligo away early game last season, that he almost ran the mf - that was prob his best game, but it proved he had the ability.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:25 pm

Everybody deserves a second chance. He has a lot to prove , and this is last chance saloon for Conor.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:32 pm

I remember a few people saying it was obviously hanging over him, which affected his performances. But what he says there is that it was a shock - so (being harsh) he was just poor with no excuses.

I thought he was dreadful for us, personally. We didn't get going last year until he and Barrett were dropped. But he obviously had/has *something* and seeing how stuck we are now in the middle I'd give him a chance.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:02 pm

El Paso wrote:I thought he was dreadful for us, personally. We didn't get going last year until he and Barrett were dropped. But he obviously had/has *something* and seeing how stuck we are now in the middle I'd give him a chance.

I'd reserve judgement on our midfield till Chevdukas, Adorjan, Benson. O'Donnell and Mountney reach peak fitness - I think we will be fine

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 am

I'd still like to see Clifford get a chance with us. He does have the ability and could be a top LoI player and make some mark on the game here that passed him by in England. He wont command huge money if signing to rebuild a career. How the club have stuck by him when the initial allegations happenad is laudible. If given a chance it will be a last chance and why not with us!

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Well, the club stood by him . I would definitely give him a
go .

Return to “General Discussion”