Dundalk V St Patrick's Ath | Fri 1 Sept | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk V St Patrick's Ath | Fri 1 Sept | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:11 pm

St Pats have hit some decent league form with wins over Derry, Bray, Drogheda and Finn Harps along with a draw against Sligo. Those 13 points from 15 still has not left them safe, so they will be coming to Oriel well motivated.

We could lose our league champions title on Friday night If we fail to win and Cork beat Shamrock Rovers. It's going to happen anyway, but the longer it can be delayed the better

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Quayman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Dundalk V St Patrick's Ath | Fri 1 Sept | 7.45pm | Oriel Park

Postby Quayman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:39 pm

A full strength Pats team lost to Galway in the cup last weekend at home.
Neale Fenn....SCUM

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Yeh, just realised recently that we could lose the league on Friday! :(

Pats are in super form but still in a lot of trouble. We're in good form... let's keep that form going

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:32 pm

Team news

Dundalk will be without captain Stephen O’Donnell once more as he recovers from his hamstring strain as does Robbie Benson. Jamie McGrath remains sidelined with appendicitis.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-vs-s ... thletic-4/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:51 am

We're going to be short of options in the middle of the park tonight. The recent first choice pairings of O'Donnell and Benson miss out due to injury and add in McGrath also, but he's more wide, so who goes into the middle with Shields?

This would have been a perfect match for Poynton. Clifford and Kinsella will most likely be considered, but id be tempted to put Mountney in the middle and start Connolly on the right. The other option is go 4-4-2 with McEleney beside Shields and Stewart up front with McMillan.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:14 am

mike wrote:We're going to be short of options in the middle of the park tonight. The recent first choice pairings of O'Donnell and Benson miss out due to injury and add in McGrath also, but he's more wide, so who goes into the middle with Shields?

This would have been a perfect match for Poynton. Clifford and Kinsella will most likely be considered, but id be tempted to put Mountney in the middle and start Connolly on the right. The other option is go 4-4-2 with McEleney beside Shields and Stewart up front with McMillan.

We played Shields, Stewart and McEleney against Crumlin and it didn't work. Clifford actually made a difference when he came on as was dropping deep looking for the ball. I'd give him a run tonight and try and give him some game time to prove himself over next few league games.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:37 am

-----------------------Rogers----------------------------
Gannon--- Hoare--- Vemmelund--- Massey/Grimes
----------------Shiels------Clifford----------------------
Connolly------------McEleney--------------------Duffy
-----------------------McMillan--------------------------

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:20 am

It would be harsh for Hoare to be dropped on current form, is Gartland injured or is above just giving Hoare a chance to stake a place?

In hindsight, I think I`d agree not to go 4-4-2, above selection looks good considering options available. Mountney also drops out in above, but he has played a lot of games recently, plus we need some quality on the bench with key players out.

I'd be very worried if McMillan got injured, we really should have replaced Kildfuff that time.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Excellent performance and a full demolition job done on a dispirited Pats team

Delighted that Cork have to wait another number of weeks

Roll on next week

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:32 pm

I was very impressed with Clifford tonight hopefully he can keep it up from now till the end of the season I'd like to see him here. Ext season.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:29 am

Best I've seen from Clifford and Connolly this season, even before the sending off which made it a training match.
Gannon was also excellent. It would be a fantastic boost to get him signed up for another couple of years.

Tonight is what happens when opposition teams try to play football against us. Pats try to play the right way but are just a bit soft.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:11 am

Afaik Clifford signed for us on a 2 yr deal.

Agreed it was his best game in a dundalk shirt but I would.like to see hIm do more and grab the game by the scruff of the neck.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:52 am

I wasn't able to make it to Oriel last night but I did get to watch the Rovers/Cork game. Cork are a shambles of a team, and will limp across the line. Caulfield has lost the plot and has no idea of what team to play in what positions. I am fully convinced that had Maguire left before the start of this season, Cork would be down in 4th or 5th place.
It's such a pity we've dropped so many points or we'd be heading for 4 in a row.
King Kenny!

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:10 am

All ifs and buts colly bit I reckon if it was only 9 points we would have caught them. They will crumbke under pressure and are a 1 man team. Our European success killed us early in this season.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:28 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:All ifs and buts colly bit I reckon if it was only 9 points we would have caught them. They will crumbke under pressure and are a 1 man team. Our European success killed us early in this season.

I think you can take it as read that - had we been a lot closer to Cork - they would not have let Maguire go mid season. In the long term scheme of things it may all turn out for the best. Valuable lessons were learned, not alone in dealing with a prolonged run in Europe, but in coping with the loss of good players and longer term squad planning and integration. The last 4 years were uncharted territory for us, the club, AND the backroom team. I have no doubt we will be back to number one next year.

Return to “General Discussion”