Dundalk V Drogheda | Fri 8 Sept | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk V Drogheda | Fri 8 Sept | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Tickets for the cup game go on sale from Oriel Park from Tues 12.00. It would be sensible to get EA Sports Cup final tickets at the same time (EA Sports Cup sales for season ticket holders only on Tues & Weds).

If our boys have the right attitude, it's hard to see how Drogheda can mount any meaningful challenge based on their form so far this season. Irrespective of the quality of the opposition our performances are a joy to watch currently

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Drogheda | Fri 8 Sept | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:09 pm

Team news

Stephen O’Donnell, Dane Massey and John Mountney are ruled out through injury. Jamie McGrath returns to contention after his appendicitis.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-fai-cup/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Sean Hoare interview ahead of the Drogheda cup match, where he talks about still having ambitions to play in England

http://www.the42.ie/sean-hoare-intervie ... 3-Sep2017/

Daviddrog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Daviddrog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:48 pm

A few years ago, this thread would be a few pages long. Our mb is practically dead and not much mention on Facebook. Is it a case that social media is dying or the general interest in the league is going down?

Ezeikial wrote:
If our boys have the right attitude, it's hard to see how Drogheda can mount any meaningful challenge based on their form so far this season. Irrespective of the quality of the opposition our performances are a joy to watch currently

My head says we're in for a serious spanking. My heart says that it's a local derby, the romance of the cup, a one off match, we've played decent enough the last few weeks. A drogs 2-1 win!!

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:42 pm

I think message boards like this are dying. I used to post all the time. now I rarely post preferring to do so on Facebook or amongst friends etc. With regards the game if the dundalk of recent cpl of months turns up then we will win and win well. However if we get complacent then drogheda could dig in and make it awkward. But they aren't in the same class as us. But it is a derby and anot FAI cup qtr final. 2-0. If we score early it could be 3 or 4 but I will happily settle for a scrappy 1-0 and our name in semi final draw.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:02 pm

Daviddrog wrote:A few years ago, this thread would be a few pages long. Our mb is practically dead and not much mention on Facebook. Is it a case that social media is dying or the general interest in the league is going down?

Ezeikial wrote:

My head says we're in for a serious spanking. My heart says that it's a local derby, the romance of the cup, a one off match, we've played decent enough the last few weeks. A drogs 2-1 win!!

I'd agree forums like these are probably not used as much as they would be even 2 years ago, fans no longer log on to see 'breaking news' or even any up to date news as they know they can get it much quicker on twitter or other sources.

As for David Drogs comment about general interest in the league going down, obviously no pun intended, but I find this is a common comment from fans of clubs who are struggling, and possibly the same from us in most seasons in the FD and more recently in the horrific season of 2012.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:46 pm

I disagree. I'm delighted I found oriel web a few years ago. Great debate and discussion here and a their back to teenage years forums. I got rid of Facebook as its complete shite. I agree previously. I have a WhatsApp group with a few friends to discuss matches etc. Twitter is a bit short and sweet but better than Facebook. All breaking news I've got on here before Twitter or anywhere else.

Long live oriel web/tapatalk!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:27 pm

That was easy. 2 complaints was it should of been more and McMillan is missing far too many chances.

On previous comments re message boards v social media I mbs ok for reading poor for commenting (I feel more comfortable on my lappy than my phone) whereas social is the opposite. Also I have 2 kids under 4 that do reduce my ow time
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:46 am

To clarify, I would obviously much prefer if oriel web remained as it is. It would be sorely missed if it closed.

I think it can be interesting at times reading 'debates' on here, but I still think its probably fair to say other social media sources have a much bigger audience and are quicker with news, but I also see why a lot of supporters are more comfortable reading or posting on here v twitter or Facebook.

On the match, foot off the gas once the bench wad emptied, game over when Connolly scored, brilliant goal too, looked like a fair bend on the strike too. Glad to see he has firmly settled in. He should be a very important player in the years ahead.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:11 am

Exhilarating performance from Michael Duffy yet again. His poor early season form is a distant memory. Dylan Connolly's performance and goal will take him on further - blistering pace, but his touch and ball control has room for improvement.

Overall a very enjoyable football exhibition

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:54 pm

I liked the tactic Connolly was employing, back to the goal when collecting the ball and right up against his marker, then immediate quick turn and he's away, he won't get away with that against the bigger teams but when it comes off he can fairly move. Playing with better players will improve his touch too.

We are almost spoilt for choices on the wing, Duffy owns the left side and is giving 8/10 most weeks, McGrath can play there too, then on the other side we have Connolly coming into good and consistent form and scoring and we still have the strength of Mountney when required.

Options are popping up all over the team, Hoare for example was unlucky to sit this one out, he did nothing wrong to be 'dropped', Grimes gave a solid display again, hardly put a foot wrong, Gannon back to his best, decent options in the middle of MF, just upfront is a slight worry if McMillan got injured.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:17 pm

On Gannon, he really showed that he has plenty of pace too as he fairly bombed up the line to get on the overlap with Connolly. If that pairing clicks and Connolly works on a few bits of his game we will be lethal down that wing on the break. The other side Duffy is showing great stuff and with Massey in form there is a lot of creativity on the left and without looking at the other players that could slot in to the wing play. Thinking of next season SK now has the wide players he likes to play with. A bit of depth at centre half and up front and we will top of the pile again soner rather than later. With some luck and grit Clifford steps up to the O'Donnell type role and hang on to Mceleney with Benson and Sheilds there isnt a real standout weakness in a first 11 anyways.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:16 am

Absolute walk in the park, but seriously we have to start taking some of the chances we're creating! Thats 7 wins in a row with at least 3 goals in each game... it's starting to feel like 2015 all over again.... even Richie Towell is scoring!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:18 pm

John Gill reflects on the match and his admiration for the Dundalk team:

https://twistedwave.com/audio_files/121 ... 5855f6ae39

Return to “General Discussion”