Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 1 Oct | 4:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup Semi-final

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 1 Oct | 4:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup Semi-final

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 pm

IN the light of what Stephen Kenny has achieved over the last 3- 4 years, to finish second in the league and EA Sports Cup winners only would probably not be regarded by many as being a successful season.

Getting to the FAI Cup final would change perspectives and actually winning the cup would mean that 2017 was recorded as another landmark and successful season.

IN that sense the meeting with Shamrock Rovers on Sunday is perhaps one of the most important domestic games of our season so far.

Anytime is a good time to beat them, but Sunday's semi is a great chance to get another November trip to the Aviva.

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 1 Oct | 4:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup Semi-final

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:31 am

I would imagine Massey is a major doubt. I would start O'Donnell if fit.

Massive game

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 1 Oct | 4:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup Semi-final

Postby mike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:25 am

O'Donnell has to start, he made a massive difference when he came on v Cork. I`m not auto de-selecting Shields by the way, that's the managers job to consider who else goes into the middle, but for me SOD should start. I`d also go with Grimes. Thought Massey looked unstable on Mon and gave away that ridiculous foul close to HT.
Last edited by mike on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:31 am

Did Rovers rest players against Pat's or were they just crap?

I like Shane Grimes but I thought he was very ponderous and predictable on the ball in Cork. And the wild tackle on Sheppard wouldn't fill me with confidence. Don't know if I'd play him in a big game unless I had to.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:46 pm

El Paso wrote:Did Rovers rest players against Pat's or were they just crap?

I like Shane Grimes but I thought he was very ponderous and predictable on the ball in Cork. And the wild tackle on Sheppard wouldn't fill me with confidence. Don't know if I'd play him in a big game unless I had to.

Did you miss Masseys two challenges? One he somehow got away with a booking and one when he was booked!

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Plus Shane played very rovers in the EA Sports cup final. El paso on the scheme of things that was a big match!! Shane is a good solid defender. He won't be as creative as Massey but if Massey isn't fit then it is better to play Shane than a half fit Dane.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Did Massey aggravate the injury in the second challenge, or was it a case of " I can't continue, but before I go, here's a little something......."

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:37 pm

oldfogey wrote:Did Massey aggravate the injury in the second challenge, or was it a case of " I can't continue, but before I go, here's a little something......."

That's what I thought at the time or maybe he hadn't the legs to keep up with the Cork lad so just lifted him put of it. No problem with either if I'm honest
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Louth4sam wrote:
oldfogey wrote:Did Massey aggravate the injury in the second challenge, or was it a case of " I can't continue, but before I go, here's a little something......."

That's what I thought at the time or maybe he hadn't the legs to keep up with the Cork lad so just lifted him put of it. No problem with either if I'm honest

It would have been a huge problem if the referee had produced a card. Massey could easily have been sent off and left us in the lurch
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

sirjohntemple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby sirjohntemple » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:00 pm

SK has a big decision to make. Start with SOD if fit or go with Shields and tell him to follow Finn

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Louth4sam wrote:

It would have been a huge problem if the referee had produced a card. Massey could easily have been sent off and left us in the lurch

Referee did produce a card - yellow. I admit it could have been problematic if he was sent off, but it was never a red even for Roy Rogers.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:16 pm

oldfogey wrote:Referee did produce a card - yellow. I admit it could have been problematic if he was sent off, but it was never a red even for Roy Rogers.

Fair enough to point our that he got a yellow for that challenge. Massey probably should have been yellow carded for his earlier extremely rash foul.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:35 pm

Dundalk Twitter page saying to buy tickets well in advance as there will be no ticket sales on Sunday!! Seems a wee bit odd??
King Kenny!

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:05 pm

It looks like no tickets will be on sale then on Sunday. I was looking for two for the stand today, all sold out at 4pm, only ground tickets left. I missed the ST sale option earlier in the week, so that's my own fault.

Rovers only got 500, they must be only allocating them with 100 for the stand.

Heard also that Mountney might be out for the rest of the season with a hamstring injury, pity if that's correct, he came back decent after his last injury.

Cork was a good test, and we did well to draw, the EA cup final win was a bonus, but this has to be the biggest game of the season since Rosenborg.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:26 pm

Sorry just to clarify on Grimes’ challenge. Not complaining that it was dirty, i’m complaining that it was a straightforward, one of those full-back whacks it out for a throw ones you see all time. And he missed by a mile.

Anyway he seems generally dependable otherwise. I’m not picking on him. Just if the plan is moving the ball to the wings quickly he didn’t do it.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Return to “General Discussion”