Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 1 Oct | 4:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup Semi-final

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 1 Oct | 4:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup Semi-final

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:25 pm

from the Shamrock Rovers website

Stephen Bradley gives his update on the squad in build up to Sunday’s Cup semi final away v Dundalk:

“I only got to see the St Pat’s game when I came back but I thought without us really playing well, we had enough chances to get a draw out of the game. We didn’t defend properly for both goals. We didn’t stop crosses and didn’t mark people in the box. It was disappointing because we’ve been really good defensively and on Monday we gave away two poor goals. Dave Webster had played in midfield for us before and he was OK in there. If we put one of our chances away, maybe it’s a different game but we didn’t so it wasn’t a great evening overall.
We know it’s a massive game for the club against Dundalk. They’re a top side but we go there ready to give them a proper game. If we repeat any of the performances against them this season, up until the sending off in the League Cup final, any of the other performances have been good head to head. There’s fine margins in these games and hopefully we’ll come out on the right end of them on Sunday.

We go into every game to try and win it, if it comes to a replay it comes to a replay but I don’t think you can think like that going into a semi-final. You’ve got to think how can you win the game and that’s how we’ll approach it. It’d be massive for the group to get to the FAI Cup final, a big step forward for us.

Trevor Clarke is a big player for us, everyone knows that. Hopefully he comes through the little knock that he has. I’ve been speaking to Noel King about Trevor for the last few months. He left him out of one or two squads for us but it’s great that he’s so young and he’s in the Ireland Under 21s. It’s recognition of how well he’s performed for us.”

https://shamrockrovers.ie/2017/09/30/te ... -01-10-17/

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

joey209
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Sun 1 Oct | 4:45pm | Oriel Park | FAI Cup Semi-final

Postby joey209 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Missed out on tickets completely! Only back in Dundalk today as I rent in Dublin.. if anyone hears of a spare, give me a shout!

Thanks a mil!

joshhealy11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby joshhealy11 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Sadly I didn't see that until it was too late Mike, but cheers anyway! As long as we have a final to go to in just over a month I won't mind.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Loads to digest after that game.

Shields will definitely miss the rest of the season after that tackle. Should have been a straight red - what a thug McAllister is.

We paid the price for not being clinical when in command. We have a major problem in midfield (and more so now with Shields gone). When we're put under pressure in the middle our three attacking players of Duffy McEleney and Connolly offer absolutely nothing. None of them can tackle and none of them drop deep properly to offer an outlet to the under pressure defenders. We clear the ball and it starts coming straight back.

Duffy, in particular, was utterly anonymous yet again in a high intensity encounter. McEleney won't be getting any offers either if he keeps this run up of letting high speed matches pass him by. And Connolly, for a player we pushed so hard to sign, has been very disappointing.

If we can't keep O'Donnell fit we'll have absolutely no chance of winning the Cup.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Super goal from us and an all round decent first half. But the second half we were dreadful.
Vemmulund is not a full back and I feel SK got that decision wrong, particularly as Grimes did very well against Rovers in the league cup final.
I think we'll beat them in Tallaght. McAllister is extremely lucky that he is not serving a 3 game ban (or longer)

What a dirty club Rovers is, from top to bottom. Firing missiles onto the pitch ( I assume the repair bill will be sent to them), breaking the hoardings (why is it not netted off like every other way section in Ireland?), leg breaking tackles, and of course a management team that celebrate draws like we celebrate cup final wins.

Will they ever get it?

Still work for SK to do with this crop of players.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:19 pm

It was a game of 2 halves. We deserved to go in at half time 1 up. But 2nd half we didn't come out, sat too deep and let rovers gain the upper hand. While they didn't create a lot they deserved the draw. How finn got man of the match I don't know. Super cross for the goal but he was pretty anonymous through out. Mceleney was non existent as was benson apart from the goal. Mcmillan got no real service and the lack of depth from the bench is a worry. Tactically 2nd half we needed to go at them as rovers are a very bang average team and a 2nd goal and it was game over. Was it a penalty? I definitely thought it hit the rovers defender on the hand. Is there bad blood between finn and o'donnell? Finn seems to have a pop at stevie every game. Vemmelund had a decent game but got caught out by finn for the cross for the goal. He isn't a natural fullback and I would have played Shane Grimes as he had a good game in the EA Cup final.. Their fans, well a portion of them are horrible knuckle draggers from the dark ages of football. Shamrock rovers should foot the bill for the repair works to the pitch. That was a deliberate act from them to damage the pitch. Of memory serves me correctly they did exactly the same in the first game of the season. It was a horrendous tackle on Chris. Thought initially it was a leg breaker. We wish him well for a quick and speedy recovery and hope he comes back stronger than ever for us next season I don't think rovers can play any better than they did tonight and we can't play any worse. Roll on our lucky ground Tallaght for the replay
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

condor
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby condor » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Too many passengers again today. Duffy, Connolly & McElaney look like superstars when we play against
part-timers like Finn Harps & Drogheda but they don't count against the better sides, all three were poor
today.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:41 pm

condor wrote:Too many passengers again today. Duffy, Connolly & McElaney look like superstars when we play against
part-timers like Finn Harps & Drogheda but they don't count against the better sides, all three were poor
today.

Thought Connolly did well the first half. Had the beating of Luke Byrne anyway.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Didn't play well , thought Kenny got it wrong in defence with the selections , Hoare was poor ,McElaney again didn't show up in a big game ,Duffy also. Lucky to get a draw , only positive don't think we can be any worse the next evening.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:14 pm

Bitterly disappointed with the second half, we just didn't turn up, let Rovers back into the tie & been honest, their goal was coming. From the start, we played well with Connolly in particular getting down the flank & putting in some decent crosses. O'Donnell controlled mid field in this period but why after going in front did we not go & finish it ? It's so frustrating. Mc Eleney & Duffy again didn't play well in the "big" game & that is overall the most disappointing.

Shocking tackle on Chris Shields, it should have been a straight red, Mc Alister is a THUG in a Rovers jersey, he should be ashamed of himself. Shields is out for months according to Stephen Kenny.

On the replay, we should bring a huge following to Tallaght, we will play better & we will win.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:50 pm

I am exhausted by the inconsistency of this team.

In previous seasons they nearly always "performed" in the big games

This season they can be brilliant against moderate teams for weeks on end, scoring goals for fun, and then when the chips are down, they fade away.

SK can hardly be blind to how McEleney, Duffy and Connolly can go missing
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:51 pm

I thought connolly had a fair first half and ran the Rovers defence ragged. He was not the man to take off as his pace was always a threat despite his anonymity in the second half. Duffy offered absolutely nothing. Terrible touch and delivery in the box and he was the man to take off.

We were clueless in the second half. Simple as that.

Finn getting the man of the match! The whole stand nearly fell out of their seats. There was not much to pick from but I thought Sean Gannon had another great game. Mr Consistency.

There will be a lot said for the thuggery of rovers fans, this never comes as a surprise.

However, the response of security and an garda siochana was deplorable. The yob that climbed AROUND the fencing and into the stand with a steward looking at him, intent on looking to hurt someone or cause trouble, was then ably helped back into the away section by the guards, instead of being grabbed by his fat bald scrote of a neck and f***ed out!

The firework was also allowed to burn for a good minute before anybody did anything about it. When someone did come along, they nearly set themselves in fire. No wonder people don't bring their families to games. I've no kids but I'd never bring my 12 year old nephews to that disgraceful atmosphere.

I am also sick to death of Dundalk supporters allowed to stand in the passage way to Enda McGill suite. Its a health hazard, obstructs views and i didnt pay in to inhale some pr***s f***ing smoke!

Rant over.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:14 pm

Sneachta wrote:I am also sick to death of Dundalk supporters allowed to stand in the passage way to Enda McGill suite. Its a health hazard, obstructs views and i didnt pay in to inhale some pr***s f***ing smoke!

Rovers were fined by UEFA for allowing people to stand in stairwells:
In addition there was an €8,000 fine and a warning issued by UEFA for people standing in the stairwell in Block M during our home tie versus Mlada Boleslav.
https://www.buzz.ie/football/shamrock-r ... ear-252168

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:43 am

I have to say that I agree with Sneachta that stewards or whomever were shocking slow to react to the flare on the pitch and as it started to catch light. With flares a certainty i'd have thought that there would be buckets of sand all around the place if needed quikly. Fire extinguisher either - the amount of rubbish that gets thrown inbetween the advertisment hoarding and the wall on front of the away section and behind the town goal, if a cigarette butt gets thrown in and it catches and wth such a slow response it could be a nasty enough incident that could happen. Not that there is much advertisment hoarding left after today....

As for yer man climbing in to the stand, it was gas to see 3 stewards and 2 gardai standing watching him. Something happened in the stand and it looked like someone was ejected or was it the guy climbing in and his buddies trying to kick down the barrier.

Handsome Prince
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Handsome Prince » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:44 am

Hugely disappointing performance tonight.
Upsetting about Shields injury, but from where l was standing l unfortunately, or fortunately didn't see it properly.
Lot of those players and indeed Managment have to look at themselves after that performance.
Duffy wasn't at the races. Madden had him wrapped up all day.
McEleny was great for 15 minutes then disappeared, and l mean disappeared. What is going on in his head??
A man with that much talent and he is not seen in the game.
O'Donnell was conspicious by his absence after the first half, which for the Captain is bad form. He seemed more intent on bettering Ronan Finn than doing his job. Surely he could see (and the Manager) that midfield was a shambles. l suppose bringing on Shields was an attempt to rectify that but that ended badly, sadly!!
Connolly good first half, but he is really a 'one trick pony'. Control the ball, kick it 20 - 30 yds and sprint after it. Worked in the first half but then in the 2nd - nada!! Any good defender will wrap him up after 20 minutes.
We really are struggling. Rovers were solid and workmanlike, and didn't give up. They plugged away despite the strong wind, whereas we didn't know what to do. After the first 20 minutes when we were excellent, we just lost the plot. Nobody seemed to know what to do with the exception of Gannon and Benson.
If we play like that on Tuesday week Rovers will spank our bottoms. Judgling by todays performance they look a more likely team to stop Cork getting a Double, than us sadly.
Would really love to get to that Final and meet Cork again.
Fingers crossed.
as ever
HP.

Return to “General Discussion”