Conor Clifford

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Conor Clifford

Postby Townfan7 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:33 pm

dell wrote:Without knowing all of what went on it might be a bit harsh to judge or to write him off as a player at the club. If the issue is gambling addiction the club would be doing the right thing to assist the chap rather than just cut him loose. He could very well have been under performing while dealing with this. With support he could get back on his game and fulfll his potential. He will be abe to train and wont miss a whole lot of the new season. If he wasnt trying to cheat by influencing results maybe we should take a wait and see angle - he could duly repay the club and supporters for standing by him!?

Totally agree, everyone deserves a second chance.

C'MON THE TOWN:

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:29 pm

I was just thinking today, I was totally wrong to make my initial comments on him. He did his best for us and was obviously not in great shape confidence wise after dropping further and further down in UK.

Also it transpires his bets were no more than 600 quid in total and most were fiver and tenner doubles etc, I'd do the same myself, probably boredom on his part, and you can be damn sure hundreds of players are doing the same over there using hidden betting accounts etc.

Hopefully he will pull through this, and he may come back better for it all.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Townfan7 wrote:
Totally agree, everyone deserves a second chance.

C'MON THE TOWN:

If Clifford is good enough he should get a second chance certainly but I think the emergence of Jake O'Connor who looks a great prospect might stand in his way. I've only seen O'Connor twice he has performed at least as well as Clifford.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 am

Injuries aside, I think rebuilding is going well and while EL group stages might be a bit too much next year (winning four rounds) SK will certainly want an extended squad again. Clifford for cover, O'Connor for development.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:27 am

Clifford didn't cheat but if we're saying that what he did is no big deal (it doesn't seem to be much from the info available), then we can't also say it's responsible for his poor displays for us - and he was *very* poor in Series 1.

So whether or not he's earned a second chance with us, given that he's not even allowed train with the squad until a month into the season, I'm not sure. A player missing pre-season is a huge deal in modern football. I'm all for giving him a chance, but any contract offer would have to reflect the fact that he'll be bog all use to us for pretty much the first half of the season.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Return to “General Discussion”