Conor Clifford

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Conor Clifford

Postby El Paso » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Dundalk career over now anyway

Banned worldwide for six months for illegal betting while in the UK.

There's only one word for that - magic darts...

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Conor Clifford

Postby El Paso » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Really is the icing on the cake for the dampest squib of a signing we've had in years. Handed a glorious opportunity. All the 'was better then Towell' reputation and 'star of Chelsea youth sides' stuff and look what we got.

I will say though that it doesn't look like there's any suggestion of cheating as per the Athlone allegations, which goes to show that six months for that when you think of what McAllister did...

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:36 pm

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:09 pm

Almost defies belief. Had one good game if I recall. Away to Sligo in March. Did nothing since. Pure petulance getting booked in extra time in LSC final, sums up his year.

A name best forgotten when we look back on the history of the club. The worst part, we probably have to pay him now for October.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Without knowing all of what went on it might be a bit harsh to judge or to write him off as a player at the club. If the issue is gambling addiction the club would be doing the right thing to assist the chap rather than just cut him loose. He could very well have been under performing while dealing with this. With support he could get back on his game and fulfll his potential. He will be abe to train and wont miss a whole lot of the new season. If he wasnt trying to cheat by influencing results maybe we should take a wait and see angle - he could duly repay the club and supporters for standing by him!?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:35 am

The ban is 'all football activity', which technically means he can have no official contact with the club between now and April. No training with the team, no pre-season with the team, no photo shoots. Nothing.

I'm sympathetic, people have their demons and should be helped where possible. And it's ridiculous that players can do what McAllister did last week and only get a yellow card by comparison. But we have to be realistic here, it would be nuts to offer him a new contract under the circumstances and given how poor he has been on the pitch for us.

If the club want to help Clifford let him come back in April and train with the squad and if he shows he has put this behind him and has something to offer re-sign him in the summer window.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:47 am

El Paso wrote:If the club want to help Clifford let him come back in April and train with the squad and if he shows he has put this behind him and has something to offer re-sign him in the summer window.

Assuming he is out of contract come the next transfer window in January, he would not have to wait to the summer window - he could sign up at any point as an unattached player.

One of the biggest challenges for him with this ban is the absence of a formal organised pre-season training regime. I'm sure the PFA / PFAI will be guiding him on the advisability of an appeal to potentially reduce the ban
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:31 pm

mike wrote:Almost defies belief. Had one good game if I recall. Away to Sligo in March. Did nothing since. Pure petulance getting booked in extra time in LSC final, sums up his year.

A name best forgotten when we look back on the history of the club. The worst part, we probably have to pay him now for October.

Jesus say what you really feel Mike.. I think you are being far too harsh. Lot worse players than Clifford to have played for the club. Neale Fenn alone springs to mind. Fabio too.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Maybe a touch harsh, but I've seen very little to suggest he has much to offer and he has had chances too.

Towel was playing SPL level, Kurtis was tier 2 in Scot, same for Duffy this season, it was poor recruitment getting a guy who was obviously slipping further and further down the leagues in England.

Fabio was dreadful ok, clearly had no interest in playing for us, fair point and also on Fenn with his sneaky exit.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 pm

What makes Clifford stand out a bit above the countless amounts of dross in the disappointment levels is that a lot of watchers of his career thought his signing was a bit of a coup for us. He being the third guy in that youths picture with Towell and Boyle - the one who 'made it'.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:27 pm

I’m probably one of a few that thinks McGrath and Stewart have been a bigger disappointment than Clifford and I would be releasing them two before Clifford ,I know he hasn’t produced this season but I see more in him than the other two.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:55 pm

McGrath?

Come on he's 21, not even remotely comparable.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:17 pm

Super goal from Mc Grath.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:38 pm

paul1 wrote:I’m probably one of a few that thinks McGrath and Stewart have been a bigger disappointment than Clifford and I would be releasing them two before Clifford ,I know he hasn’t produced this season but I see more in him than the other two.

Yes - I think that you are in a very small minority.

Jamie McGrath has a real chance to develop into one of the best players in the league

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:44 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
paul1 wrote:I’m probably one of a few that thinks McGrath and Stewart have been a bigger disappointment than Clifford and I would be releasing them two before Clifford ,I know he hasn’t produced this season but I see more in him than the other two.

Yes - I think that you are in a very small minority.

Jamie McGrath has a real chance to develop into one of the best players in the league

Agreed.

He was in college until the end of May this year, and then had an operation which interrupted his progress.

Next year will be his first full year of full time football. I expect him to make big strides under Stephen Kenny.

Return to “General Discussion”